Name Change?

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Philip Benstead

Re: Name Change?

Post by Philip Benstead »

C H A N G I N G G E A R , N O T D I R E C T I O N

CTC has a new name but the agenda remains the same. Chief Executive Paul Tuohy explains
FOR OVER a century, CTC and CTC members have done all we can to promote and protect the gif t of cycling. In the 21st century, that gif t is at risk due to a chronic lack of investment in cycling infrastructure. While sports cycling has received millions, cycling for pleasure and transport has been largely ignored. CTC needs a new way of thinking to promote and protect cycling effectively today, one that capitalizes on our amazing work, knowledge and heritage. That’s why CTC now has a new identity: Cycling UK.

Change is contentious. There is a ‘cycle’ of opinion that I am familiar with from my work with other charities whenever a big change takes place. It goes something like this… At the beginning, things are positive; there’s agreement on the need to do things more effectively. Then there’s a dip, as skepticism overrides the initial excitement. Finally, if after the change takes place, the mood picks up again. ‘Why didn’t we do this sooner?’ people ask.

This process is no different with CTC, except that this time I have a personal stake in it because I adore cycling. It’s always been part of my life. Getting things absolutely right is personal for me, just as it is for CTC Life Members. I love CTC’s heritage and history – and they’re not for sale. In fact, they will help us ‘sell’ cycling to people as we shape the future of cycling in the UK, not just for ourselves but for our children and for our society.

CYCLING UK: THE CYCLISTS’ CHAMPION Everyday cycling was ignored in the 1970s, and cycling and CTC’s membership dwindled. It was overlooked in the 1990s, even though investment in sports cycling took off. Now it’s time for us to change that. I’m fed up of being asked where my helmet is when I go for a ride. My response is simple: ‘I’m not racing, I’m riding!’
CTC is cycling’s best-kept secret. we have to embrace change ourselves. What about the Winged Wheel and touring? I’m wearing my Winged Wheel badge now as I write, and I wore it as I shook the Transport Minister’s hand this morning. Touring is very much part of our plans. Thousands experience the pleasure of touring the countryside with their Member Groups every week, come rain or shine. Touring is a hidden treasure that needs to be promoted as a key part of our offering to members of Cycling UK.
Whatever way you want to ride your bike, be proud that CTC is the guiding influence
Paul Tuohy, Winged Wheel badge firmly affixed, makes the case for change behind the new Cycling UK. CTC’s heritage and history are parts of our offering to members, along with campaigning, inclusive cycling projects, lobbying, advice, forums, cycling holidays, and more. As Cycling UK, we have a huge amount to offer future members and supporters.
Remember too that every pound you give as a member helps us raise so much more. So as well as providing CTC’s traditional benefits to you, we can champion cycling
for society as a whole. That is what makes us a very special club. Here’s to the next 138 years!
might be the greatest cycling movement in the world, but we’re unknown to the millions of potential cyclists I want to join us as members and supporters. To change this,

“I love CTC’s heritage and history – and they’re not for sale. In fact, they will help us ‘sell’ cycling to people”
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gaz wrote:
micksimm wrote:... Alarmist/misleading or what?
April Fool, apparently.

You'd have to ask Philip what his motivations were when he reported a resignation that had not taken place. Alarmist/misleading/open and transparent although genuinely mistaken or what?

His original title for the thread was: Roger Geffin resign from his job at the CTC.

Upon realising that he had made an error he did not change the thread title.

After being prompted to correct it, Philip's edit to the title read: Doh Correction Roger Geffin resign from his job at the CTC.

A Moderator has since stepped in to give us: Roger Geffen now works for CUK but had a nice April Fools.

Maybe with the benefit of hindsight Roger has had a "doh" moment about his April Fool too, maybe he thinks it's just a lot of fuss over nothing.

What actually happened is that Roger Geffen joked, in a closed media forum that he *should* have sent an email saying that his last day with the CTC would be on Monday. It was an April Fools joke only in wishful thinking. Or maybe hindsight.

Anyway, it was this joking reference to a could-have-been-April-Fools joke that someone misinterpretted to mean the imminent departure of Roger Geffen.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

Once the CTC became a charity it was utterly predictable that it would ditch the old name.

Chasing grants from the government to provide amenable jobs for employees will now be the CTC's main aim, just as it is with many other 'charities'.
Bazza55

Post by Bazza55 »

blackbike wrote:Once the CTC became a charity it was utterly predictable that it would ditch the old name.

Chasing grants from the government to provide amenable jobs for employees will now be the CTC's main aim, just as it is with many other 'charities'.

One of the most sensible comments I have seen on this forum for a long time. The Government grants have priority over members with their views and needs. THIS Government will not be splashing cash to charities at a whim forever, so this could all be short sightedness and a waste of money. Meanwhile April 5th 2016 is a sad, shameful day in the history of what was once a fine upstanding institution.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Bazza55 wrote:
blackbike wrote:Once the CTC became a charity it was utterly predictable that it would ditch the old name.

One of the most sensible comments I have seen on this forum for a long time. The Government grants have priority over members with their views and needs. THIS Government will not be splashing cash to charities at a whim forever, so this could all be short sightedness and a waste of money. Meanwhile April 5th 2016 is a sad, shameful day in the history of what was once a fine upstanding institution.

Absolutely.

The once golden Sustrans is but a shadow of its former self as Government contracts, grants and lottery funding for things cycling have dwindled - for CTC to think it can carry on with that revenue stream must be short-sighted.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

robgul wrote:...
The once golden Sustrans is but a shadow of its former self as Government contracts, grants and lottery funding for things cycling have dwindled - for CTC to think it can carry on with that revenue stream must be short-sighted.

Rob

I suspect the career charity employees will have moved on long before that happens. Onwards and upwards with "completely re-vamped the <insert charity name here>" on their CV and the fact that it then dwindles away is just "not on my watch" (and a bit of ego boost as "I left it going from strength to strength"). To me it highlights a major problem with what seems to have become career charity employees. Same applies to politicians - no longer doing that job when " ... it hits the fan".

Ian
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

TonyR wrote:
Bazza55 wrote:The voting slips wouldn't be sent out at all if it wasn't for one (unnamed) Councilor having a morals and standards by letting the membership know of the intended secret name and plan. Amazingly for which he has received much internal criticism from the Chair.

Not forgetting that that Councillor was an active and willing part of the process of rebranding for at least two years including supporting the Campfire proposals last October until his epiphany after he failed to get re-elected as a Councillor and had to step down on 1 January this year.

Unless of course you believe his claims of a multiyear conspiracy to ignore his comments and falisfy the meeting minutes to censor his strident opposition in Council

I believe Philip's claims Tony. I have been a National Councillor. Sadly I had to resign from my position due to my husband becoming terminally ill. But I clearly recall voicing my opinion and disagreeing with some items of business and then being ridiculed or shut down during meetings and there being no mention of my points recorded in the minutes.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I just feel disillusioned by the whole business. I joined the CTC just 5 years ago as a returning cyclist and felt comfortable within its structure. All that has gone. First the charity and now the CTC is gone forever ..... it's really sad ...
Please tell me none of the paid employees of the company has a company car !!!
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

Well that's a shock - the CTC is no more, relegated just like that to history as it is re-branded as Cycling UK. Why not Easy Cycling UK, Touring Cycling UK or, I know, The Cyclist's Touring Club ? I can see the reasoning - it is to compete with those cheeky racers in the British Cycling Federation who tried to collar the market with their "British Cycling" re-brand in a pretty obvious attempt to nick our members and potential members who did not realise they were joining a racing club instead of the CTC.
It is really bad now in WH Smith trying to find a sensible magazine about cycle touring and leisure cycling - all the magazines on show are racing magazines spouting sportifs and gym routines instead of exploring the countryside. It occurred to me that rejoining the CTC recently at least enabled me to obtain a magazine about touring cycling and not racing.
A very sad day indeed.
The World has gone mad.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just checked my email.

It seems that the Paul Tuohy email was classed as JUNK MAIL :lol: :lol:
I had to rescue it from my Junk Folder to read it. :lol:

I scan read it, then deleted it.

Paul Tuohy, Cycling UK Chief Executive (unmonitored-inbox@cyclinguk.org)
Mick F. Cornwall