New website live

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Psamathe

Re: New website live

Post by Psamathe »

Tangled Metal wrote:Awful site. I hate it with a passion! I hope the organization fails miserably because of that site!

Sorry but it's not mobile friendly!...

I've not tried it on my mobile but, these days to bring out a new site and NOT make it mobile friendly completely beggars belief. What are they playing at (and who is making such a pig's ear of it all).

Ian
Bez

Post by Bez »

It's borderline unusable on my phone (Android Lollipop, Chrome). It's not responsively implemented and the menus are severely dysfunctional via touch.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Bez wrote:It's borderline unusable on my phone (Android Lollipop, Chrome). It's not responsively implemented and the menus are severely dysfunctional via touch.

That's what I found. There's a few sites around like that. The YACF forum does.it for me. I'm on android 4.4.2 using chrome.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bez wrote:It's borderline unusable on my phone (Android Lollipop, Chrome). It's not responsively implemented and the menus are severely dysfunctional via touch.

Not even by touch - there's a gap between the heading that opens the menu when I hover and the menu itself, so I have to move the pointer really quickly to jump that gap and avoid the menu closing before I can select an item.

As far as I can make out from the debugger without really delving into the code of stylesheets with long numeric names, someone may have positioned the menus by doing pixel arithmetic without realising that fonts differ in sizes between devices, so their maths is a bit off on every type of browser other than the one they use.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

google are keen for websites to be mobile friendly, and I believe it is the case that google page ranking penalises sites that are not.

google even provide a tool to test sites at: https://www.google.co.uk/webmasters/too ... -friendly/

When you submit http://www.cyclinguk.org/ for testing you receive:

"Not mobile friendly
Text too small
Mobile viewport not set
Links too close together
Content wider than screen"

On my mobile it has the look and feel of an infant finger-painting exercise that dribbles over the edge of the paper, over the table, and drips onto the carpet ........ its a sort of cheap imported folding shopper of a site.
No pasaran
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

mjr wrote:

Not even by touch - there's a gap between the heading that opens the menu when I hover and the menu itself, so I have to move the pointer really quickly to jump that gap and avoid the menu closing before I can select an item.

As far as I can make out from the debugger without really delving into the code of stylesheets with long numeric names, someone may have positioned the menus by doing pixel arithmetic without realising that fonts differ in sizes between devices, so their maths is a bit off on every type of browser other than the one they use.

Work on my HTC Disire
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Displays fine on the small android tablet I typically use.

Having never been "wedded" to the CTC, so without axes to grind either way, I reckon that's not a bad start. I think it will appeal to the broader demographic that's being sought.

ETA
...but just had a wander over to Eroica. Goodness me, I know that there are a lot of these retro events, so the template is relatively set, but what a brilliant site that is.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

yes please Id like £50 to get off my backside on onto my saddle, on backside of course