Paul Tuohy vidio

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Philip Benstead

Paul Tuohy vidio

Post by Philip Benstead »

What do we think of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbixI0a ... e=youtu.be

Dear Philip
I’m really pleased to announce that Britain’s oldest transport organisation, CTC, the national cycling charity, has today rebranded as Cycling UK.
Through our new brand, Cycling UK will help more people, from any background, enjoy the gift of cycling. Where there are barriers, we’ll provide ways to overcome them.
You know, as members and supporters, that cycling is a great way to find fun, friendship and fitness through the freedom that riding a bike brings. We want to reach out to the millions of would-be-cyclists to lift the lid off cycling’s best kept secret.
Cycling UK has been promoting cycling and protecting cyclists since 5 August 1878. On that Bank Holiday Monday, thanks to the vision and vigour of Edinburgh medical student Stanley Cotterell, the Bicycle Touring Club was formed in Harrogate. Five years later, we were renamed the Cyclists’ Touring Club.
For 138 years, we have championed a simple belief - that cycling is a wonderful gift that should remain accessible and available to all. Today we remain the nation's voice for cycling and the strongest force for progressive change.
Much like our founding objectives to promote, assist and protect the use of all cycles on public roads, we will continue to work to make cycling a part of everyday life for everyone.
You will receive your latest copy of Cycle magazine this week, which includes articles showcasing our proud heritage and history, and providing more detail about our plans with our new name. We’ve also started sprucing up our website and put together a short video, so please do have a look around.
Together, we are Cycling UK!

Best regards
Paul Tuohy
Chief Executive, Cycling UK
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
gaz

Re: Paul Tuohy vidio

Post by gaz »

Mine's addressed, "Dear ."

Unlike you I'm not on first name terms with the upper echelons of Cycling UK.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

gaz wrote:Mine's addressed, "Dear ."

:lol:
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I tried to respond to it but my email bounced. Evidently Mr Tuohy doesnt want to hear members views in the same way that with a major change like this members werent consulted. Evidently existing members don't matter.
France has laws about traffic passing distances which I was party to suggesting tbe CTC lobbied for in the UK. The numbnuts on tbe council rejected this very sensible suggestion. IMO the present Council is not fit for purpose.

It feels like our CTC has been stolen. Time to call it a day I think…

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

[quote=]From Paul Tuohy, "Dear CTC Member, I’m really pleased to announce that Britain’s oldest transport organisation, CTC, the national cycling charity, has today rebranded as Cycling UK."[/quote]

Dear Paul

I’m really unhappy that Britain’s oldest transport organisation, CTC, the Cyclist's Touring Club, has today rebranded as Cycling UK.

Please stop pushing this 'rebrand' and seek the views by ballot or poll of the entire CTC club membership to whether they want to see the name of their club go down the pan

Thank you
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
GeorgeRiches

Post by GeorgeRiches »

Council is not the right place to discuss whether or not the CTC should mount a campaign to change the law on passing distances. That's micro-management.

First of all, the matter should be taken up with the department responsible for lobbying the UK government. Ie Roger Greffen. If you feel the response you get there is not good enough, you should propose the idea to the network of volunteers responsible for lobbying local government (Right to Ride network). If you get no real interest there either - that's life. There are so many cycling issues to lobby/campaign about.
Last edited by GeorgeRiches on 5 Apr 2016, 8:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Welome to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The email I received, went automatically into JUNK. Maybe my computer thinks like I do? :wink:
I retrieved it, scan-read it, then trashed it.

Not interested, not bothered, not contributing to CUK.
My CTC membership is up for renewal.

They can stuff it.
Mick F. Cornwall
fishfright

Post by fishfright »

Same as Mick F
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Mine was addressed Dear Paul, but I still wasn't impressed.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I read it. I wasn't impressed."
FranklyI find this sort of double talk grossly insulting: "Cycling UK has been promoting cycling and protecting cyclists since 5 August 1878."
Well - not really!
Cycling UK may have been grant chasing since this morning, but for historical details please refer to the CTC...

Starting out by attempting to edit recent history is an unpromising beginning
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
horizon

Post by horizon »

The Winged Wheel wasn't always very effective as a way of communicating the values of the CTC: see 1:23 - 1:25.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

gaz wrote:Mine's addressed, "Dear ."

Turns out I'm on first name terms too. I wonder what you've done to upset them? Maybe Mr Tuohy didn't like being compared to Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz :wink: I suggest that you write to him complementing his poetry.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Cycling UK.jpg

Dear Paul.

The new branding. Actually I quite liked it. I thought that some of the metaphysical imagery was really particularly effective. ... :wink:
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

The video is on YouTube but who will know about it apart from existing members/supporters? If it's meant to inspire people to get involved I'm afraid it did not work for me.

An old episode of the TV comedy "Father Ted" featured a priest who claimed to have the most boring voice in the world - he has just lost his crown! Some bloke sitting in front of a blank wall and radiator is not a good image to promote. Someone must have thought this was a good idea - says it all really.

What about the ballot of all members - or shouldn't I ask?