Name Change

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
dc

Name Change

Post by dc »

As a member of the Cyclists Touring Club for a good number of years I resent the council's decision to abolish the original name. Surely members should have been asked to vote if they wanted to change the name or not. I thought we lived in a democracy. First they got rid of the old winged wheel logo, renegaded to the third division, then they got rid of Chris Juden and now this latest fiasco. From disgrunted member
mattsccm

Re: Name Change

Post by mattsccm »

Head. Brick wall? :(
gaz

Post by gaz »

Late to the party: viewforum.php?f=48
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

We are now a charity with all that implies.
crossy

Post by crossy »

Does this mean this forum is going to change its name to Cycling UK forum
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
hondated

Post by hondated »

dc wrote:As a member of the Cyclists Touring Club for a good number of years I resent the council's decision to abolish the original name. Surely members should have been asked to vote if they wanted to change the name or not. I thought we lived in a democracy. First they got rid of the old winged wheel logo, renegaded to the third division, then they got rid of Chris Juden and now this latest fiasco. From disgrunted member

DC your lucky I got a flea in my ear from a forum member when I posted the same comment weeks ago. Because I hate the fact that the CEOs of charities are too highly paid I am questioning whether I will renew my membership.
pwa

Post by pwa »

hondated wrote:
dc wrote:As a member of the Cyclists Touring Club for a good number of years I resent the council's decision to abolish the original name. Surely members should have been asked to vote if they wanted to change the name or not. I thought we lived in a democracy. First they got rid of the old winged wheel logo, renegaded to the third division, then they got rid of Chris Juden and now this latest fiasco. From disgrunted member

DC your lucky I got a flea in my ear from a forum member when I posted the same comment weeks ago. Because I hate the fact that the CEOs of charities are too highly paid I am questioning whether I will renew my membership.

I ended my membership a few months ago. It's not the club I joined. It's something else now. I'll stay with the Forum for the time being.

They can call themselves Cycling UK if they like, but they don't have this cyclist on board so that title seems a bit presumptuous.
Tizme

Post by Tizme »

pwa wrote: I ended my membership a few months ago. It's not the club I joined. It's something else now. I'll stay with the Forum for the time being.

I have to say I agree wholeheartedly, I've not renewed my membership.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

crossy wrote:Does this mean this forum is going to change its name to Cycling UK forum

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=104966
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

crossy wrote:Does this mean this forum is going to change its name to Cycling UK forum

Although it's getting wobbly about it at the moment, and everyone's cookies are being reset because they've changed the domain name.

It'll stay the CTC forums to me, on all of my bookmarks (even future ones)

I wonder how long the url will last
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

New logo on the top of the page really does bring home how completely c*** it is. Old one never struck me as particularly great or particularly bad but it did strongly suggest "cycling" and "bikes" (i.e. just glancing at it). But the new one ... I hope they didn't pay for it - really naff.

Ian
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

I'd be interested to know exactly how much they paid Campfire for the rebranding. I won't get to find out though as I ceased to be a member with effect from 1st November 2015.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

A logo with no personality and a new name which has such 'issues' with its acronym, the acronym has to be avoided! An American School of Law shared the latter problem - and had to redo the name change as a result (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35975832). Maybe CUK should follow suit (and get the consultants who have obviously CUK'd up here to pay for it!).
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

AlaninWales wrote:A logo with no personality and a new name which has such 'issues' with its acronym, the acronym has to be avoided! An American School of Law shared the latter problem - and had to redo the name change as a result (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35975832). Maybe CUK should follow suit (and get the consultants who have obviously CUK'd up here to pay for it!).

CUK or WACUK. Suck or wazzock. Really? :(

Seriously, how many member groups hava an abbreviation such as CTC PLACENAME on the member group kit club kit.
You now need an overly long expression on the jerseys, an intricate logo to transfer onto the kit or be known as CUK CAMBRIDGE or CAMBRIDGE WACUK (for example)....
Last edited by iandriver on 6 Apr 2016, 4:57pm, edited 2 times in total.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Toeclip

Post by Toeclip »

AlaninWales wrote:A logo with no personality and a new name which has such 'issues' with its acronym, the acronym has to be avoided! An American School of Law shared the latter problem - and had to redo the name change as a result (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35975832). Maybe CUK should follow suit (and get the consultants who have obviously CUK'd up here to pay for it!).

The new logo is certainly lacking dynamics, visual impact and also meaning.
THE real Land- Rover rules