Name Change

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
mjr

Re: Name Change

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:New logo on the top of the page really does bring home how completely c*** it is.

Go into "User Control Panel" and then "Board Preferences". Switch to the subsilver2 theme and you'll get the phpbb big tent logo instead. :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
Psamathe wrote:New logo on the top of the page really does bring home how completely c*** it is.

Go into "User Control Panel" and then "Board Preferences". Switch to the subsilver2 theme and you'll get the phpbb big tent logo instead. :)

I've just blocked the object so I get nothing there other than the text.

Ian
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

I reckon the CTC need to launch an alternate 'heritage theme' for those who wish to live in blissful ignorance of Cycling UK. Maybe it could have the winged wheel in the top left of the screen :D
Alport

Post by Alport »

So impressive I had to go back and check...that worked then.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Had a good ride today which included 1 café with the winged logo sign in it’s porch (Muker) and another next door to a B&B with the really big wheel CTC sign built into the wall (Askrigg - anyone know when that might date from?). It was very windy, it was cold (the hail left a light covering at the top of Buttertubs) and it was very wet at times (going up Oxnop Scar’s 25% was like cycling up a waterfall), but it was cycling in the traditional manner, ie being out on your bike, not too fussed what we look like or what the weather is like, just going out and enjoying it – what I associate the CTC with.

Not sure I get or like the name change but will be told it’s because I’m resistant to change and all will be ok in the end, others know better than me what is needed. I like the CTC but don’t always agree with it (I don’t, for example, share the helmet arguments) but still want to belong to what’s a broad church that accepts different opinions – look at the range of views expressed on the forum! However, it does feel very much now it’s being led by this new management approach where change is both good and constant.

I will continue to belong but might feel increasingly uneasy about the way it’s going. Would Cycling UK approve of someone riding an old steel bike in appalling weather and taking 2 café stops in only 40 miles – am sure I’ll be told (and in case anyone misunderstands, I’m simply injecting a little light humour).
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
gaz

Post by gaz »

Chat Noir wrote:... the really big wheel CTC sign built into the wall (Askrigg - anyone know when that might date from?) ...

Take a look here: http://www.wingedwheels.info/
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I just noticed the name change on the forum. We are cycling uk? No I'm not. I'm cycling Bill :P
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Psamathe wrote:New logo on the top of the page really does bring home how completely c*** it is. Old one never struck me as particularly great or particularly bad but it did strongly suggest "cycling" and "bikes" (i.e. just glancing at it). But the new one ... I hope they didn't pay for it - really naff.

Ian

Ian I totally agree. It really looks tacky and having just finished reading the history of the CTC I cannot help but think our founders will be now turning in their graves.
And you can bet that they paid a company thousands to come up with the logo and name as well.
spanner1718

Post by spanner1718 »

Oh dear oh dear, I used to feel quite proud saying I was a CTC member, but a Cycling uk member is not the same.As pointed out earlier a major change like this should have been put to the vote.
hujev

Post by hujev »

Holy mackerel! (= #$@!! %$#&!!!) CTC is now dead and gone? I didn't notice since the forum colo(u)rs stayed the same and I just kept looking at the web pages without noticing the top- sneaky!

Since I was never a CTC member (a yank), just an admirer of the idea and heritage and history and publications and all that, it's not my place to comment - but that usually doesn't stop me!

This dropping of the now-unfashionable idea of 'touring club' and changing to CUK (or WACUK?) feels like more of the drifting toward bland, corporate, PC, 'fundraising to exist' sort of thing that most non-profits seem to like nowadays and what makes the US' 'Bikecentennial' and 'League of American Wheelmen' (using their old names) equally uninteresting to me (the former Bikecentennial has drifted mostly toward offering supported and rather expensive 'tours', for example).

Call me a nut (please!) but as a geographer and cyclist I like hokey old concepts like cycle touring, finding your own way, reading the landscape, developing an appreciating of your land and others by the sublimity of cycle travel, and that sort of thing. Nothing against collective work to change legislation, educate, etc., but maybe changing the direction and so dramatically dropping 'touring' (plus the ever-uglifying logo!) could've been prevented by an offshoot organization or whatnot. Maybe not, I sure don't know, but how sad to lose the CTC.

Anyway, this is just more proof of my dinosaur-ism I suppose. So I'll keep riding my non-e-bike without a GPS or i-phone or hi-fi, with the second-hand CTC badge (also LAW and Bikecentennial!) on my heavy, old-fashioned, outmoded Carradice bag... And I guess looking at this forum (and others).

Anyway, I'm not much for clubs anyway being pretty far-off from most of them, so maybe this forum is good enough (I am a member of the RSF and TA tho, and their forum/journal is about the only connexion I have to them as well - plus the badges on the bag...).

So goodbye 133 years of CTC, and may the new weirdly-named WA CUK FKA CTC organization have success in shaping Britain's future for better cycling of all kinds (except motor- and 'e-' that is) - especially if it'll make me safer if/when I tour there!

And since CTC is now effectively an abandoned concept (except to the lawyers so no using that 'heritage brand' name!!), I'll feel like less of a fake when displaying the badge since it's just an antique!
spanner1718

Post by spanner1718 »

Hujev is right it's about heritage at the end of the day, the Automobile Association wouldn't change its name to Car Club just because its more diverse would they?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW I think that (like quite a lot of rebranding exercises) this serves no real purpose apart from some kind of corporate willy-waving on the part of the management 'just to try and make out like you are actually doing something'.

And what is it that is being done exactly? Chucking the baby out with the bath water, it seems to me...

How it has come to pass that a club (that belonged to its members) has turned into this 'thing' we have today is anyone's guess.

I'm not saying that 'all change is bad' but when an organisation appears to wilfully turn its back on its heritage, it smacks of something having gone seriously wrong to me.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brucey.
+1

Well said.
Mick F. Cornwall
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The forum heading doesn't look very good, does it. Something about the font and the rounded corners reminds me of toddlers' plastic toys....
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

Why does the CTC want to disown its heritage, it's not like it was run by Jimmy Savile or something? At least NZ saw sense with not going for that new flag rubbish.