The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
freiston

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Post by freiston »

Paulatic wrote:
BrianFox wrote:C'mon people, as per my original post, there are *loads* of other threads to moan on.

If you really can't find anything good to say, it might be worth asking yourself if you are being just a teensy bit close minded?

Also whether you're being a bit rude, having been asked very politely to be positive here!

thank you.

It's unusual for me but for once I'm stuck for words.
Sorry

another +1
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You cant drown out other voices by posting your opinions. Everybody has opinions and is entitled to them. Forums are about discussion. Something that along with democracy seems to have escaped the Council.

The reason that a lot of CTC members who tour are retired is that if you have a normal job and a young family you can never get the opportunity to do long tours. That means many of us who do a bit of touring are getting on a bit. Do you mean that as well as dumping CTC the council wish to dump us old folks? I think that if the Council wish to make such a sharp and drastic change to an organisation they should consult the membership, not just make a change like a rabbit out of a hat?

Why not get rid of CTC totally, then you will get the slick inclusive modern imaged campaigning organisation you want?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

al_yrpal wrote:You cant drown out other voices by posting your opinions. Everybody has opinions and is entitled to them. Forums are about discussion. Something that along with democracy seems to have escaped the Council.

The reason that a lot of CTC members who tour are retired is that if you have a normal job and a young family you can never get the opportunity to do long tours. That means many of us who do a bit of touring are getting on a bit. Do you mean that as well as dumping CTC the council wish to dump us old folks? I think that if the Council wish to make such a sharp and drastic change to an organisation they should consult the membership, not just make a change like a rabbit out of a hat?

Why not get rid of CTC totally, then you will get the slick inclusive modern imaged campaigning organisation you want?

Al

I note where you live , have we meet?

I can remember going to the CHILTERN MIDWEEK SECTION AGM I had to explain the CTC council position to a hostile audience, were you in the there?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

No… Reading is my local DA.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

al_yrpal wrote:No… Reading is my local DA.

Al

Did you go to the CTC Reading AGM 2 years ago?
I was there as CTC SE England Councillor
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

will get the slick inclusive modern imaged campaigning organisation you want?

Al, telling other people what they want isn't generally a good way to find out what their opinions are. If you're interested.

So, another positive. The communication of the new brand has been firmly rooted in the values and history of the organisation. A good stay to building on our heritage rather than discarding it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

BrianFox wrote:

Al, telling other people what they want isn't generally a good way to find out what their opinions are....

Maybe good advice for the ex CTC, now CUK organisers.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Brian Fox.

I haven't a clue who you are, and no doubt you don't know who I am.
However, I have (at the present count) over 34,500 posts on here. I am a well respected and highly regarded forum member. Many of us have been on here for years and years and I am not unusual ... other than my post count. I first joined the forum and the CTC in 2004 (despite what the stats might say)

The CTC forum has been resurrected and resurrected again and again. This is maybe the fourth generation?

Read this forum before you come on here and pontificate.
Mick F. Cornwall
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Mick, likewise, perhaps read my posts before you comment on them?

I'm not sure why years of membership of ctc or forum are relevant, but you beat me in one, and I beat you in the other. Score draw?

There are pros and cons to what's going on, i hope you can see both, and I certainly hope you stay in the renamed organisation, once the dust settles.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Philip Benstead wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:No… Reading is my local DA.

Al

Did you go to the CTC Reading AGM 2 years ago?
I was there as CTC SE England Councillor

No, I missed the last three, I was away.

Al
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Psamathe wrote:
BrianFox wrote:

Al, telling other people what they want isn't generally a good way to find out what their opinions are....

Maybe good advice for the ex CTC, now CUK organisers.

Ian

+1. :lol: He walked into that one!

Al
Heltor Chasca

The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Post by Heltor Chasca »

BrianFox wrote:C'mon people, as per my original post, there are *loads* of other threads to moan on.

If you really can't find anything good to say, it might be worth asking yourself if you are being just a teensy bit close minded?

Also whether you're being a bit rude, having been asked very politely to be positive here!

thank you.

Is it just me or is there something a bit peculiar about this? Brian you are being a control freak asking for feedback from only those with something good to say of this. The forum encourages free debate and there are many on here who will take umbrage at being told what to do or only contribute if they believe in the same side of the story as you.

If you have been actively observing the brewing storm on here over the past few weeks with regard to CUK, I'm sure you are fully aware you will expect some stick from the old guard.

Contact! Take cover [emoji1460]
mjr

Post by mjr »

BrianFox wrote:Anyway, here's another positive.

The CTC, like it or not, has an image of consisting of curmudgeonly bearded men in sandals (readers of this thread might find that stereotype reinforced...)

The new brand might help reach a wider and younger demographic, reinvigorating the organisation for a new generation.

Us slick younger cyclists in business clothes already have a home in Cycle Nation. Why would we join CUK when it's demonstrated a rather poor attitude to its members and its claimed partner organisations?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Giles Pargiter

Post by Giles Pargiter »

Mick F wrote:Brian Fox.

I haven't a clue who you are, and no doubt you don't know who I am.
However, I have (at the present count) over 34,500 posts on here. I am a well respected and highly regarded forum member. Many of us have been on here for years and years and I am not unusual ... other than my post count. I first joined the forum and the CTC in 2004 (despite what the stats might say)

The CTC forum has been resurrected and resurrected again and again. This is maybe the fourth generation?

Read this forum before you come on here and pontificate.

toungue firmly in cheek . . . well I was a CTC member when I was a baby, my parents are life members and my grandparents pretty much started the CTC and I've only made - er 19 posts . . . so where does that leave us then?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

BrianFox wrote:Mick, likewise, perhaps read my posts before you comment on them?
I'm not sure why years of membership of ctc or forum are relevant, but you beat me in one, and I beat you in the other. Score draw?
There are pros and cons to what's going on, i hope you can see both, and I certainly hope you stay in the renamed organisation, once the dust settles.
Yes, I've read them. I read most posts. You and I have swapped posts in Feb of this year on regarding calories. :wink:

Beat me on what?

I can obviously see the pros and cons of what's going on.

I will not be staying in the new organisation.
However, I will be staying on here providing I'm still allowed. :D
Mick F. Cornwall