The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Psamathe
Posts: 9791
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby Psamathe » 6 Apr 2016, 10:01pm

BrianFox wrote:...
There are pros and cons to what's going on....

Whatever "pros" there might be have been totally obscured by the disastrous way in which the issue has been handled by the organisers (National Office). And it (or something) is still subject to a vote by the membership so quite where the the change stands ... who knows.

But to launch into such a significant change without consulting the membership (those who are paying for all the consultants, printers, web developers, PR, etc.) completely beggars belief. Why in god's name did they think it had to be treated as some sort of "trade secret" like their competitors might jump in ahead of them if their plans leaked out early? Any organisation can achieve far far more by keeping those paying the salaries/changes/etc. on-side and supportive rather than just ignoring them as irrelevant.

And the complete mishandling of everything raises very major questions about the abilities of the organisers.

Ian

User avatar
Heltor Chasca
Posts: 3016
Joined: 30 Aug 2014, 8:18pm
Location: Near Bath & The Mendips in Somerset

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby Heltor Chasca » 6 Apr 2016, 10:07pm

Giles Pargiter wrote:
Mick F wrote:Brian Fox.

I haven't a clue who you are, and no doubt you don't know who I am.
However, I have (at the present count) over 34,500 posts on here. I am a well respected and highly regarded forum member. Many of us have been on here for years and years and I am not unusual ... other than my post count. I first joined the forum and the CTC in 2004 (despite what the stats might say)

The CTC forum has been resurrected and resurrected again and again. This is maybe the fourth generation?

Read this forum before you come on here and pontificate.


toungue firmly in cheek . . . well I was a CTC member when I was a baby, my parents are life members and my grandparents pretty much started the CTC and I've only made - er 19 posts . . . so where does that leave us then?


Nepotism?

Giles Pargiter
Posts: 65
Joined: 15 Sep 2012, 11:34pm
Location: N & Mid Wales.

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby Giles Pargiter » 6 Apr 2016, 10:14pm

Heltor Chasca wrote:
Giles Pargiter wrote:
Mick F wrote:Brian Fox.


".... Nepotism?
" :lol:

mark a.
Posts: 1349
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 2:47pm
Location: Surrey

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby mark a. » 6 Apr 2016, 10:35pm

Well, I like the rebrand.

landsurfer
Posts: 4614
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm
Location: Rotherham

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby landsurfer » 6 Apr 2016, 10:35pm

my signature says it all for me.....
“I’m responsible only for what I say, not what you understand.”

The Road Goes on Forever.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 45570
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby Mick F » 6 Apr 2016, 10:41pm

mark a. wrote:Well, I like the rebrand.
Can I ask why?

Not arguing here or taking a stance against you.
Why do you like the rebrand?

Personally, I don't like it but that doesn't mean I'm not open to other opinions.
Mick F. Cornwall

ukdodger
Posts: 2992
Joined: 18 Aug 2007, 5:32pm
Location: Sunny Surrey

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby ukdodger » 6 Apr 2016, 11:19pm

al_yrpal wrote:
BrianFox wrote:Mick, et al,

I asked you, very politely, to reserve negative comments for elsewhere. Otherwise you're effectively filibustering people who want to have a positive conversation.

I've no objection at all to your complaints, in fact i think they are very valuable, but would also like freedom to continue a conversation without them.


Our comments are not negative. They are about democracy and proper consultation. Its quite clear you want to avoid these things. If you want a love in here you are not going to get it.

My suggestion is that as this new organisation is not focussed on touring that it gives up the CTC name and insignia to a new organisation that is. You are not using it so why not? You can then get on with grabbing grants and campaigning for cycling in general unencumbered by dinosaurs like me.

Al


That sums it up for me too.

mark a.
Posts: 1349
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 2:47pm
Location: Surrey

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby mark a. » 7 Apr 2016, 12:01am

Mick F wrote:
mark a. wrote:Well, I like the rebrand.
Can I ask why?


I never really liked the CTC name that much - I'm not really a tourer (when I joined I was mostly commuting and mountain biking) and I don't really like clubs. So for me Cycling UK fits better as a name and as a concept.

I'm not a huge fan of the new logo (it's rather Early Learning Centre) but anything's better than that cartoon bike thing.

sbesley
Posts: 69
Joined: 9 Jan 2010, 12:53am
Location: suffolk, UK
Contact:

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby sbesley » 7 Apr 2016, 12:26am

Mick F said it perfectly....

...
I didn't want to convert to a charity and I don't want a name change.
I voted NO to convert and I haven't been given the chance to vote NO to a name change.

As I said, I'm out.
I won't be renewing my membership. ...
+1


The corporate speak, the 'charity' professionalism, the political re-brand deceptions, I hate it all. Sorry but I can't help it.

So I will be looking to join a real cycle touring club :)

geocycle
Posts: 1664
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 9:46am

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby geocycle » 7 Apr 2016, 9:01am

I feel a bit a sorry for Brian as a positive thread to offset the negative ones is a laudable aim but difficult to achieve as folk will take issue.

I thought the launch in Cycle was quite well done and almost convincing. But then bits like PT describing the change cycle where people initial hate the idea are won around with time comes straight from Change Management 101.

However, as to the positives..... Nope, sorry can't help.

Psamathe
Posts: 9791
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby Psamathe » 7 Apr 2016, 9:06am

geocycle wrote:...But then bits like PT describing the change cycle where people initial hate the idea are won around with time comes straight from Change Management 101. ....


And such "initially hate the idea ..." prediction allows them to sit in their review meetings declaring how it "is all going as we expected".

Add to that the disastrous way management handled CJ being made redundant and it raises real questions over the calibre of those running the organisation.

Many have done management courses, sat through PowerPoint presentations, yet fortunately most quickly appreciate that those presenting such things actually "limited useful experience".

Ian

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7438
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Where pasties are crimped at the top!
Contact:

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby al_yrpal » 7 Apr 2016, 9:24am

I would love to sit through one of their council meetings with a '<word meaning 'exaggerated or foolish talk; nonsense'> bingo' scorecard. Someone would undoubtably shout out "house!" in record time..

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. CTC gone but not forgotten!

ukdodger
Posts: 2992
Joined: 18 Aug 2007, 5:32pm
Location: Sunny Surrey

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby ukdodger » 7 Apr 2016, 11:52am

sbesley wrote:Mick F said it perfectly....

...
I didn't want to convert to a charity and I don't want a name change.
I voted NO to convert and I haven't been given the chance to vote NO to a name change.

As I said, I'm out.
I won't be renewing my membership. ...
+1


The corporate speak, the 'charity' professionalism, the political re-brand deceptions, I hate it all. Sorry but I can't help it.

So I will be looking to join a real cycle touring club :)


That goes for me too. I wont be renewing. I joined because I wanted to be part of a touring club that was there for it's members not a nebulous marketing organisation to represent cycling in the UK, members or not. My opinion wasnt sought in any renaming despite the fact that I paid to join.

I notice that the holidays & tour page of the 'old' CTC still exists as the CTC. Is that because the new name doesnt quite fit?

User avatar
robgul
Posts: 2833
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 8:40pm
Contact:

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby robgul » 7 Apr 2016, 11:58am

ukdodger wrote:
sbesley wrote:Mick F said it perfectly....

...
I didn't want to convert to a charity and I don't want a name change.
I voted NO to convert and I haven't been given the chance to vote NO to a name change.

As I said, I'm out.
I won't be renewing my membership. ...
+1


The corporate speak, the 'charity' professionalism, the political re-brand deceptions, I hate it all. Sorry but I can't help it.

So I will be looking to join a real cycle touring club :)


That goes for me too. I wont be renewing. I joined because I wanted to be part of a touring club that was there for it's members not a nebulous marketing organisation to represent cycling in the UK, members or not. My opinion wasnt sought in any renaming despite the fact that I paid to join.

I notice that the holidays & tour page of the 'old' CTC still exists as the CTC. Is that because the new name doesnt quite fit?


As pointed out before "Cycling UK Holidays" is a bit restrictive ...... or not thought through.

Rob

Bicycler
Posts: 3400
Joined: 4 Dec 2013, 3:33pm

Re: The Rebrand is Essential to our Future

Postby Bicycler » 7 Apr 2016, 12:17pm

To be fair, I think they have said throughout that they are happy to keep the CTC name in association with their heritage and touring activities, including holidays and touring focused membership groups.