Negative Git!!

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Velocio

Negative Git!!

Post by Velocio »

...I received my weekly CycleClips email last Friday which announced "Watch out for a brand new look for CycleClips next week with CTC officially becoming Cycling UK from next Tuesday 5 April. More information about the new brand and the reasons behind it will be in the next issue of Cycle magazine, which should be on your doorstep on or around the same time."

...I replied with "a defiant 'NO' to the CTC, our club, becoming 'Cycling UK' until the entire membership have been asked to vote on the matter - not happy :("

...I received this today from our Membership Officer :

Subject: RE: In CycleClips: Self-driving bikes are here; a mellow way to fix potholes; Denise Lewis rides the Hardknott; Cardiff cycle hustings and more
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 10:53:02 +0000

Negative git!!

Oliver Foster
Senior Membership Officer
Cycling UK
Direct Line: 01483 238332
Main Line: 0844 736 8450
Fax: 0844 736 8454
Email:oliver.foster@cyclinguk.org
Web: http://www.cyclinguk.org

...there goes my membership ...!!
Last edited by Velocio on 8 Apr 2016, 12:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
mjr

Re: Negative Git!!

Post by mjr »

Wow. Was there any lead-up to that outburst? Have you corresponded with Oliver Foster before?

I can appreciate that the officers may be feeling a bit besieged, but that's really not how to handle disagreement, being neither a polite dismissal/marginalisation or a reasoned challenge - probably both would be scripted, but even non-response would be better than that!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

mjr wrote:Wow. Was there any lead-up to that outburst? Have you corresponded with Oliver Foster before?

I can appreciate that the officers may be feeling a bit besieged, but that's really not how to handle disagreement, being neither a polite dismissal/marginalisation or a reasoned challenge - probably both would be scripted, but even non-response would be better than that!

Nope mjr ...I was quite taken aback by the Senior Membership Officer's curt reply to what was a knee-jerk reaction to the news ...which for many was the first time we had heard about the name change of our Club ...I personally think the man should be sacked if this is the way he responds to member's concerns ...good or bad
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

I have forward this to PT and all of CTC Council
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

Philip Benstead wrote:I have forward this to PT and all of CTC Council

...thank you Philip ...but I'm not holding my breath for an apology ...also ...I've decided to remain a member ...at least until next month's AGM ...when I'd like you to act as a Proxy on my behalf :)
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Actually it does not surprise me. You only have to look at what PT put online attacking Mr. Benstead.

Organisations are led from the top.

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 8 Apr 2016, 1:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Methinks Oliver Foster should lick Velocio's cycling shoes else seek employment more suited to his abilities.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Velocio wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:I have forward this to PT and all of CTC Council

...thank you Philip ...

+1.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

At best a very poor attempt at humour, at worse a sign of complete contempt for the views of the membership.
gaz

Post by gaz »

There is no possible justification for the reply sent to Velocio by Oliver Foster.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

That's bang out of order for a Senior membership Officer.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Wow!
Agreed, completely out of order. Though just so we're clear about what preceded it, would Velocio mind providing the whole message which he sent to Oliver verbatim (omitting, if necessary, any personal information)?
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

Bicycler wrote:Wow!
Agreed, completely out of order. Though just so we're clear about what preceded it, would Velocio mind providing the message which he sent to Oliver verbatim (omitting, if necessary, any personal information)?

...my original post on this thread contains all that's transpired from and to me ...I've left nothing out ...other than at 2.02pm today I received this...

Sent: Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:02 pm
To: Velocio

Hiya,

Have forwarded the thread to Matt from Membership services and David from Comms, who are the ones who have most contact with the forum and are most likely to give a reply.

Can't promise that it'll do any good - we can but try.

rgds
Si
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I totally support your complaint then. We can't have a membership officer who sends out emails abusing the membership when they dare to express opinions.