What is the point of members?

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
SA_SA_SA
Posts: 1811
Joined: 31 Oct 2009, 1:46pm

What is the point of members?

Postby SA_SA_SA » 21 Apr 2016, 9:12pm

If (cough) the current brand of Cycling UK is meant to be a campaigning organisation paying some lip service to Touring (to try and keep members?) but whats "best for the charity" always overrides members views what is the point of being a member?

A memberless charity which collected money per campaign would surely be more controllable: if cyclists don't like a campaign then they can simply not fund it.....
Like the CDF I suppose....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

User avatar
meic
Posts: 19355
Joined: 1 Feb 2007, 9:37pm
Location: Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen)

Re: What is the point of members?

Postby meic » 21 Apr 2016, 9:32pm

Your question in the title is rather different to the one in the text!

The point of having members is that it gives the charity "authority", it can claim to speak for its 60,000 members and also those members contribute a little to the coffers.

The point of being a member is third party insurance (which cuts £2 off an Audax entry), a magazine and a feeling of altruistically giving money to benefit those who are not paying members.
Yma o Hyd

PH
Posts: 7665
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: What is the point of members?

Postby PH » 21 Apr 2016, 9:34pm

Plus the 15 - 20% of us involved with member groups...

User avatar
meic
Posts: 19355
Joined: 1 Feb 2007, 9:37pm
Location: Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen)

Re: What is the point of members?

Postby meic » 21 Apr 2016, 9:54pm

I had forgotten that even though I indulge quite frequently myself.

Now isnt that so perverse, a charity which is supposed to support cycling and encouraging people to get out and ride their bikes actually erects the disincentive of charging those who do get and out and ride for the privilege of doing so as CTC/CUK members!
Taxing those who do ride to fund those who do not. One would think that they were more after members' money than encouraging cycling. I could understand a membership club having subscriptions to ride but not a charity that makes the charitable cause fund the charity's existence!!!
Yma o Hyd

PH
Posts: 7665
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: What is the point of members?

Postby PH » 21 Apr 2016, 9:58pm

meic wrote:I had forgotten that even though I indulge quite frequently myself.

Now isnt that so perverse, a charity which is supposed to support cycling and encouraging people to get out and ride their bikes actually erects the disincentive of charging those who do get and out and ride for the privilege of doing so as CTC/CUK members!
Taxing those who do ride to fund those who do not. One would think that they were more after members' money than encouraging cycling. I could understand a membership club having subscriptions to ride but not a charity that makes the charitable cause fund the charity's existence!!!


Excuse me, this is my soapbox, go get your own :wink:

SA_SA_SA
Posts: 1811
Joined: 31 Oct 2009, 1:46pm

Re: What is the point of members?

Postby SA_SA_SA » 21 Apr 2016, 10:04pm

meic wrote:Your question in the title is rather different to the one in the text!

The point of having members is that it gives the charity "authority", it can claim to speak for its 60,000 members and also those members contribute a little to the coffers.

The point of being a member is third party insurance (which cuts £2 off an Audax entry), a magazine and a feeling of altruistically giving money to benefit those who are not paying members.


The title seemed OK to me* :)

But if the members can be overruled whenever convenient then any claimed authority is greatly diminished/gone IMO.

Giving money to others is nice as long as its destination is controllable/recipents trustworthy..
Third party insurance is available elsewhere...
The magazine is nice but I was waiting for the current CEO to leave after the Technical and Touring Officer debacle and now the rebrand has happened...
I can live without the mag especially seeing as CJ's Technical articles had no equivalent in other mags, now these are gone...

*why have members who you ignore / why be a member who is ignored
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)

User avatar
meic
Posts: 19355
Joined: 1 Feb 2007, 9:37pm
Location: Caerfyrddin (Carmarthen)

Re: What is the point of members?

Postby meic » 21 Apr 2016, 10:07pm

But if the members can be overruled whenever convenient then any claimed authority is greatly diminished/gone IMO.


They dont have to mention that and nobody will ask that question. They say they speak for 60,000 cyclists and it will be accepted without any questions.
Yma o Hyd

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13777
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: What is the point of members?

Postby gaz » 21 Apr 2016, 10:38pm

There is a summary of the Charity Commission's view on the relationship between the members of a charity and its Trustees here.

meic wrote:They dont have to mention that and nobody will ask that question. They say they speak for 60,000 cyclists and it will be accepted without any questions.

Possibly because those who might ask the question are aware that CTC is a Charity and that its Trustees make the decisions, not its members. There would be little point in asking the question if you already know the answer.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

Psamathe
Posts: 10606
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: What is the point of members?

Postby Psamathe » 21 Apr 2016, 10:47pm

SA_SA_SA wrote:....*why have members who you ignore / why be a member who is ignored

Now they are called Cukers (pronounced Suckers) - explains? (Trustees/National Office being the ClUKers).

Ian

User avatar
al_yrpal
Posts: 7853
Joined: 25 Jul 2007, 9:47pm
Location: Cully
Contact:

Re: What is the point of members?

Postby al_yrpal » 21 Apr 2016, 10:56pm

Perhaps the title of this thread should be 'What is the point of being a member?' Insurance - no, available elsewhere. Mag, now full of blather, rather than stuff associated with touring. Able to influence priorities - forget it, its all controlled by a faceless bunch of 'professionals' who think they can dictate to the members who finance them. Local rides - plenty of other clubs and organisations organise these.

I now know where this is all heading. Remove their finance, leave and reverse the stealth takeover.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. What do you do to make a difference?