Removed Touring from name:-why not split into 2organisation?

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
SA_SA_SA

Removed Touring from name:-why not split into 2organisation?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Even though Head Office intended to autocratically remove Touring from the new name (after removing the Touring Benefits of Touring Officer and Technical Officer(who was also of benefit to all cyclists)), without outlining such plans 1st, surely it would still seem more honorable to split the organisation into two completely separate organisations: a Touring part with the CTC/Cyclists Touring Club(as a club) and CUK as a campaigning charity. Current members could then opt to join either or both (as 'real' club members of CTC/'supporting members' of CUK) . Cycle mag would seem to belong more to a CTC/TCC membership club. CUK could have their own newsletter in paper/electronic form (called 'and Campaigning'? :) ).

If the CTC club (or even CyclingUK supporting members) cannot control the charity (due to charity law saying the charity's articles trump members views) it seems better for them to be completely separate organisations.... That way one can at least vote against any dubious charity actions with ones feet..

It seems unfair for CUK to hold on to all the Touring names.

NB even as brand with no Touring in it Cycling UK doesn't seem the best name that could have been got for a campaigning organisation IMO.

Third party insurance: I suppose from CUK if only a CUK supporter else from CTC?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Barred1

Re: Removed Touring from name:-why not split into 2organisat

Post by Barred1 »

You use the word "honorable" ... isn't that the crux of the whole debacle?

There is much logic in two organisations (although one would probably just mirror and fight with Sustrans for campaigning money) - isn't there a project for a touring only club?

B1
Riding high!
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

This is a similar proposal to my notion of Cycling UK the campaigning arm of the CTC - no need for a split, just a need for a better name for the campaigning arm.
I think part of the problem is that the requirements of Charitable status seem to be at odds with those of a members club in terms of structure and purpose.
Members clubs are pretty well free to do as they wish whilst charities are bound by law and are responsible for their actions to the Charity Commissioners.
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

steady eddy wrote:This is a similar proposal to my notion of Cycling UK the campaigning arm of the CTC - no need for a split, just a need for a better name for the campaigning arm.
I think part of the problem is that the requirements of Charitable status seem to be at odds with those of a members club in terms of structure and purpose.
Members clubs are pretty well free to do as they wish whilst charities are bound by law and are responsible for their actions to the Charity Commissioners.

Isn't the charity aspect the whole, not part of, the problem? Don't member clubs want to get on with riding their bikes, not messing about with the charity stuff - but are held back by bureaucracy and funding-chasers?

B1
Riding high!
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I thought a complete split would be better because members can not completely control a charity, therefore the option to leave the campaigning charity* whilst remaining in the non-charity club should be available. *In case a person is unhappy with for what/how etc the charity is campaigning.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)