Was Cycling UK using a verb meant to imply Touring?

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
SA_SA_SA

Was Cycling UK using a verb meant to imply Touring?

Post by SA_SA_SA »

I wonder if using a verb in Cycling UK to imply Touring ie I am cycling around the UK (although this sounds a bit like a long LEJOG style tours organisation?).

I suppose the fact that this does seem to have been noticed much would indicate it is not that successful and I don't think it was explicitly explained anywhere...

Anyway after the AGM I think a complete split between Touring stuff and Cycling-UK is best....
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
Psamathe

Re: Was Cycling UK using a verb meant to imply Touring?

Post by Psamathe »

SA_SA_SA wrote:I wonder if using a verb in Cycling UK to imply Touring ie I am cycling around the UK (although this sounds a bit like a long LEJOG style tours organisation?).

I suppose the fact that this does seem to have been noticed much would indicate it is not that successful and I don't think it was explicitly explained anywhere...

Anyway after the AGM I think a complete split between Touring stuff and Cycling-UK is best....

If I've understood you, you could equally say "I'm cycling to work" or "I'm cycling to the shops" or "I'm cycling round and round in a velodrome".

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We're back to the old nugget .................... define "Cyclist".

If Joe Bloggs rode a bike down the road, is he a cyclist?
If Joe Bloggs picked up a golf club and hit a golf ball in his back garden, is he a golfer?

To me, a cyclist is someone who cycles habitually and regularly, and a golfer is someone who enjoys a round of golf at his local club once a week.
Mick F. Cornwall
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Psamathe wrote:
SA_SA_SA wrote:I wonder if using a verb in Cycling UK to imply Touring ie I am cycling around the UK (although this sounds a bit like a long LEJOG style tours organisation?).

If I've understood you, you could equally say "I'm cycling to work" or "I'm cycling to the shops" or "I'm cycling round and round in a velodrome".
Ian

Yes, even if intended, I don't suppose its a very good allusion to Touring. I suspect it wasn't intended then.
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)