Being spammed by Philip Benstead

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
User avatar
honesty
Posts: 2415
Joined: 16 Mar 2012, 3:33pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Being spammed by Philip Benstead

Postby honesty » 17 May 2016, 8:27am

Philip if you have a point to make, make it in public where people can discuss. Don't spam me a private message without any invitation from me. Don't send me messages I don't want to receive. Don't send me private messages purporting to show conversations between Paul T and other people with absolutely no evidence. All you're doing is enforcing my view that you are a someone with a huge chip on their shoulder who will manufacture an conspiracy to support your own views. Stop it.

User avatar
robgul
Posts: 2666
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 8:40pm
Contact:

Re: Being spammed by Philip Benstead

Postby robgul » 17 May 2016, 8:37am

I too received what sounds like the same message ...

The horse has been flogged - move on.

Rob

Psamathe
Posts: 8826
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Being spammed by Philip Benstead

Postby Psamathe » 17 May 2016, 9:53am

I disagree.

I also received the message and found it interesting and potentially very useful. And such issues cannot be published on the open forum. There are forum settings to disable PMs if you regard them as such a nuisance. SPAM is a real nuisance but an occasional "un-invited" Private Message is hardly at such levels.

The current CTC faces real issues. I am very anti the current way things are happening as I see the organisation is damaging the causes that cycling should be working towards. And I suppose I do still live in some hope that they will "see the light" and "re-structure" appropriately to become the organisation they can and should be. And it would not take a massive change to get there either. Small changes can have a very big impact.

Ian

User avatar
honesty
Posts: 2415
Joined: 16 Mar 2012, 3:33pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: Being spammed by Philip Benstead

Postby honesty » 17 May 2016, 10:24am

its and unsolicited message sent to a large number of people. How is it not spam?

Why would I disable PMs which can be useful because I have received spam?

Why can they not be discussed in open forum? this is a forum, I come here to discuss stuff, not carry on private conversations. The only reason I can think it cant be made public by PB is because it is completely unsupported. he would get challenged and shot down. It may even be breaching some form libel law but IANAL. What a useful way of getting round the forum rules and those pesky things like proof, just send a PM to everyone!

Psamathe
Posts: 8826
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Being spammed by Philip Benstead

Postby Psamathe » 17 May 2016, 10:49am

honesty wrote:its and unsolicited message sent to a large number of people. How is it not spam?

Why would I disable PMs which can be useful because I have received spam?

Why can they not be discussed in open forum? this is a forum, I come here to discuss stuff, not carry on private conversations. The only reason I can think it cant be made public by PB is because it is completely unsupported. he would get challenged and shot down. It may even be breaching some form libel law but IANAL. What a useful way of getting round the forum rules and those pesky things like proof, just send a PM to everyone!

I've sent unsolicited messages to others. I've sent hundreds of messages to people unsolicited - I don't always wait for an "invite". I suspect that most PMs sent are not invited through an "invitation (e.g. PM me) on an open thread.

And something of potential interest to many will be sent to many (and as I said, some information cannot be published on the open forum).

So, you were not interested, and you got a PM that you had not invited the sender to send you - is that really such a big issue ?. I could get sarcastic at this point but I will refrain.I feel there are far more significant issues to focus ones annoyance on that a single PM you had not asked the sender to send you!

Most people would have replied to the PM e.g. "Thank you but I am no longer interested in such matters so probably best if you don't message me any more" (or similar). To me it seems somewhat excessive to start a thread about it.

Ian

User avatar
honesty
Posts: 2415
Joined: 16 Mar 2012, 3:33pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: Being spammed by Philip Benstead

Postby honesty » 17 May 2016, 10:55am

Psamathe wrote:
And something of potential interest to many will be sent to many (and as I said, some information cannot be published on the open forum).


why in this case?

Psamathe
Posts: 8826
Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 8:56pm

Re: Being spammed by Philip Benstead

Postby Psamathe » 17 May 2016, 11:08am

honesty wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
And something of potential interest to many will be sent to many (and as I said, some information cannot be published on the open forum).


why in this case?

Because it is recounting information from a 3rd party so to publish it on an open forum without that person's permission would be impolite and could put that individual in a difficult position. Plus it is providing information that relates to people in power and how they behave.

Very different standards apply about what you put in a private communication and publish on the open internet.

Mr Thooy might think it acceptable to post online disparaging attempts to damage Mr Benstead's reputation, but there are some things better not posted online (Mr. Thooy needs to learn about what is and is not appropriate).

(And I will lookup and try and understand about how to use apostrophes one day)

Ian

User avatar
honesty
Posts: 2415
Joined: 16 Mar 2012, 3:33pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: Being spammed by Philip Benstead

Postby honesty » 17 May 2016, 11:13am

Psamathe wrote:Because it is recounting information from a 3rd party so to publish it on an open forum without that person's permission would be impolite and could put that individual in a difficult position. Plus it is providing information that relates to people in power and how they behave.

Which is something PB has done numerous times before, and as previous there is no evidence that person actually said it either. Just PBs word.

Psamathe wrote:Very different standards apply about what you put in a private communication and publish on the open internet.

Mr Thooy might think it acceptable to post online disparaging attempts to damage Mr Benstead's reputation, but there are some things better not posted online (Mr. Thooy needs to learn about what is and is not appropriate).

Its been going both ways in my view, and the Paul T message to me read more as frustration of going over the same thing again rather than a vicious attack (if it was mean to be a vicious attack I can see why C.UK is having problems as it was really tame... ;) )

Psamathe wrote:(And I will lookup and try and understand about how to use apostrophes one day)

Ian

I just put them in where to computer tells me to! ;)

Steady rider
Posts: 2040
Joined: 4 Jan 2009, 4:31pm

Re: Being spammed by Philip Benstead

Postby Steady rider » 17 May 2016, 12:33pm

I think Phillips believes improper actions were taken and tried to correct these. He explains why he thinks this is in some details. I certainly do not think he just made it up. There are people who try to discredit him. The CTC is lacking in a scrutiny committee, independent from CTC Council who could consider issues. Anyone with a serious concern may also try to gain support via emailing members, some may say they are spamming.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=spamming
send the same message indiscriminately to (a large numbers of Internet users).

In one sense Phillip is not spamming because he generally directing his concerns to other CTC members, actual numbers data may not be available. Some times there is evidence that may be between weak, fair, good, strong etc and a judgement is made. People doing improper actions may cover their tracks leaving only weak to fair evidence, not sufficient to conclude taking strong measures would be justified. A simple reply saying please do not send me emails would be one option, rather than posting on a web forum.

User avatar
Philip Benstead
Posts: 1147
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 7:06pm
Location: Victoria , London

Re: Being spammed by Philip Benstead

Postby Philip Benstead » 17 May 2016, 2:19pm

Apologies if I sent an unsolicited email.

Other have express the reason I have not place it in the public domain.

If I have a chip on both shoulder does not negate the concerns I have about the CTC.

How many of the persons I sent that email too did you go to the CTC AGM?
The attendance I been told was 48 plus CTC Council plus staff.
If you had you would see what a shambles it was see it was, these are the words of others not mind.
See the Facebook group “WHERE THE CTC SHOULD BE GOING”

Once the results are publishing on the CTC website I shall be writing a report of my personal views of the AGM.
Some CTC members on this forum seem not to understand that Council is the under the control of CTC CEO and dissent is not welcomed.

Quoting from Ian Wescombe Councillor for the South East
http://www.cyclinguk.org/ctc/ctc-nation ... n-wescombe

He said looking over his shoulder at the CTC members at the AGM
“YOU OLD PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO STOP CHANGE, YOU ARE GRAY, PALE AND STALE”
Apologies again if I sent an unsolicited email. I shall block your email address on my CTC account to prevent a recurrence
Philip Benstead | CTC London and FORMER CTC Councillor SE
| 0794-980-1698 | philipbenstead1@gmail.com |
Organizing events and representing cyclist in southeast since 1988
Cycle Ride? http://www.meetup.com/socialcycling4u/
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 15377
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: Being spammed by Philip Benstead

Postby Vorpal » 17 May 2016, 5:14pm

If Philip sends any more of these to people who consider them spam, please use the 'report' button on the upper right of the pm.

Thanks
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom