Is it time for a new forum about the CTC?

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

I may be in a minority of one but I like to discuss in a vigorous manner the actions of the CTC council and it senior staff.

I was wondering if this forum was a still suitable place or if we all should move to another forum or set up a new one.

If there is not a demand, then the only place is to go to the Facebook group called where the CTC should be going.

My email address is philipbenstead1@gmail.com
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
gaz

Re: Is it time for a new forum about the CTC?

Post by gaz »

Philip Benstead wrote:Is it time for a new forum about the CTC? ...

IMO far too narrow a subject to sustain an entire forum.

I'm fairly sure TCC would not wish to start a discussion. I'm largely unaware of the level of CTC discusion on other existing forums other than to say there seems to be little interest on YACF.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

This forum might be upto the job if we had full disclosure as to who the moderators are. If they have declared who they are and any conflicting interests they might have I apologise. Please point me to the information.
It's all very well cutting like a blade but when it looks or feels vindictive it doesn't appear healthy.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Forgive me for being too direct, but I would have no interest in the dealings of CTC council and it's staff. I can't think of a forum that could be more boring to me. But please go ahead Phillip. Good luck. Really you have my blessing.

CTC as I knew it and nearly joined has been shelved in my opinion. BUT...This forum ticks many of the boxes that I'm interested in to do with the broad subject of cycling, bikes, fitness, health, campaigning, camping and touring.

I have no further interest in the subject of the internal issues of CUK. I have chosen instead to put my energies and a little disposable income into another cycling charity...b
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Forgive me for being too direct, but I would have no interest in the dealings of CTC council and it's staff. I can't think of a forum that could be more boring to me. But please go ahead Phillip. Good luck. Really you have my blessing.

CTC as I knew it and nearly joined has been shelved in my opinion. BUT...This forum ticks many of the boxes that I'm interested in to do with the broad subject of cycling, bikes, fitness, health, campaigning, camping and touring.

I have no further interest in the subject of the internal issues of CUK. I have chosen instead to put my energies and a little disposable income into another cycling charity...b

I agree and disagree. I did join but "new management" changed all that and I left.

I agree about it being best to focus ones efforts elsewhere.

My concern is that CUKers are actually hindering cycle campaigning. They are useless themselves (well illustrated by their refusal to support a passing clearance motion and focusing their efforts on internal organisation admin changes). But I do feel that they only need to make a few changes (at the top) and the organisation could start to achieve useful things again. So whilst I've written them off for now I still for some daft reason hold out hope that things will change and we will then have them working for us rather than working for themselves.

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

Philip Benstead wrote:... If there is not a demand, then the only place is to go to the Facebook group called where the CTC should be going. ...

Where IIRC "thoroughly good chaps" are welcome and "troublemakers" need not apply: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=104948&p=1000495&#p1000470
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Philip Benstead wrote:Is it time for a new forum about the CTC?

I may be in a minority of one but I like to discuss in a vigorous manner the actions of the CTC council and it senior staff.

I was wondering if this forum was a still suitable place or if we all should move to another forum or set up a new one.

If there is not a demand, then the only place is to go to the Facebook group called where the CTC should be going.

My email address is philipbenstead1@gmail.com

Personally I don't think Facebook worthwhile (given their requirement about registering and that there are a significant number of people like myself who wont register).

If you want to start a true forum format then you could use ProBords which I believe will allow you to setup a traditional forum for free https://www.proboards.com.

However, to work forums need activity and I do wonder if you will generate enough to make it work. I suspect the ProBoards should be straightforward (and free) to try and I guess you never know without trying (just look a Twatter and who would have thought that limiting people to 140 characters would be a good idea!

Ian
Barred1

Post by Barred1 »

Psamathe wrote:
Heltor Chasca wrote:Forgive me for being too direct, but I would have no interest in the dealings of CTC council and it's staff. I can't think of a forum that could be more boring to me. But please go ahead Phillip. Good luck. Really you have my blessing.

I agree and disagree. I did join but "new management" changed all that and I left.

I agree about it being best to focus ones efforts elsewhere.

My concern is that CUKers are actually hindering cycle campaigning. They are useless themselves (well illustrated by their refusal to support a passing clearance motion and focusing their efforts on internal organisation admin changes). But I do feel that they only need to make a few changes (at the top) and the organisation could start to achieve useful things again. So whilst I've written them off for now I still for some daft reason hold out hope that things will change and we will then have them working for us rather than working for themselves.

Ian

Absolutely agree. It does seem that the CTC/CUK "campaigning" has made a load of noise amongst the membership and management for many years BUT really achieved very little in GENUINE measurable or value terms. Some of the claims of "fantastic success" are just fatuous PR puffs.

I'd like to see a list of real successes that were down to CTC/CUK - and warranted the staff and costs over perhaps the past 10 years.

The real question to understand is of the CTC (now CUK) membership 1) how many people are interested in campaigning and 2) how many are just interested in riding a bike and don't care about campaigning?

B1
Riding high!
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Philip Benstead wrote:Is it time for a new forum about the CTC?

Nope.