Climb Britain?

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Labrat

Climb Britain?

Post by Labrat »

Thought some of you would appreciate this:

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/bmc-to-change- ... mb-britain
gaz

Re: Climb Britain?

Post by gaz »

More inclusive sounding name.

Climbing isn't all about mountains, I expect many of their members climb stairs too :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

British Mountaineering Council is to change its name to Climb Britain.

"British" is a description of an area and of the peoples of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

"Britain" is a geographical island off the European continent consisting of England, Wales and Scotland.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

BMC did a big push to gain members from among the hillwalking community growing on the back of this at a time that the walking and access charity called the Ramblers decreased its membership. They went from a climbing and mountaineering organization to climbing, mountaineering and hillwalking organization.

Now they're becoming more inclusive for members who do all three of these activities by emphasising the elements of the first 2 ignoring the last I've (hillwalking).

I've always thought of the BMC as similar to British Cycling and the Ramblers to CTC. BMC and BC were in the ascendancy, the Ramblers and CTC shrinking.
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

...now we know where Cadel Evans ...and Richie Porte ...got their strength from...!! ;)
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
rjb

Post by rjb »

Morris and Austin would have something to say about this. :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

But now this from the Sept 2016 BMC Newsletter:

'Following a strong reaction to our rebranding announcement in July, and after a period of consultation with members, the BMC has now made the decision not to rebrand as Climb Britain.

Don't count your rebrands before the skin stops sizzling....
gaz

Post by gaz »

Following a strong reaction to CTC Council's rebranding announcement at the start of the year, and after a Poll of the members in July, the members have now endorsed the decision to rebrand as Cycling UK.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

The difference been BMC had the decency to poll all members BEFORE the official name change , pity CTC?CUK didn't have the decency to do the same thing ! I no the outcome would have probably been the same , but like I say it would have been the decent thing to do .
gaz

Post by gaz »

loch eck steve wrote:The difference been BMC had the decency to poll all members BEFORE the official name change , ...

I am not a BMC member and have no first-hand knowledge of events. I see nothing in the above links to support your assertion.

The report linked in the OP states an announcement was made by BMC's National Council of the change of name from BMC to Climb Britain, with a launch event scheduled for December. It makes no mention of a member consultation prior to that decision nor of any proposal to undertake a consultation between the decision and launch events.

The latter link is of a U-Turn following feedback from members, the National Council choosing to reverse the original decision. I see no mention in either link of a poll of all members.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

The rebranding process for BMC had involved two consultancy firms with funding provided by sport England, and the new name and logo were set to be unveiled at a ceremony at the Kendal Mountain Festival ( held 17th-20th Nov ) . These plans have now been cancelled . The BMC held 12 consultation meetings across England and Wales to explain the thinking behind climb Britian and LISTEN to all members views and concerns , because 0f the strong consensus the National Council formally decided not to re-brand.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Surely it would be best for the organisations to merge to fight for climbing/walking, cycling or whatever. One big organisation instead of several small ones?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies