It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Bicycler

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Post by Bicycler »

gaz wrote:
reohn2 wrote:But where are the results for cyclists? :?

Outlined in the annual report: http://www.ctc.org.uk/sites/default/fil ... unts_0.pdf

Out of interest what is the story behind CTC Cycle Racing Limited (mentioned on pages 3/4)?
gaz

Post by gaz »

Incorporated 5 September 1996. 2006 accounts also described it as "dormant". Council continues to appoint directors as/when required.

I've no knowledge of why it was set up, or if it ever traded.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-pa ... le/1335060

Top 100 charities.
It looks like charities are really businesses. income from about 50 million to 700 million
The top pay about 310k from income of 87m, 0.35%

With an income of about £1.75 million the CTC is down the order by some way.
At 75k from 1.75 million income, about 4% going to one job.

It looks like they can really only afford a middle to senior management type figure. A youngish person perhaps with a cycling background.
My approach would be different to the current approach.
beardy

Post by beardy »

It looks like charities are really businesses. income from about 50 million to 700 million

Yes, the battle was lost a few years ago, the members' cycling club was taken over (hostile to my mind) to be a charity. Now people must be paid much more to run it. No use crying over spilt milk.
Like most official charities the choice benefits are for the professionals between the donators and recipients.
Velocio

Post by Velocio »

...this is not good...

http://tinyurl.com/j5zrko4

...why weren't we all consulted...??

Is there another Cycling Touring Club we can join ...that doesn't reflect mountain biking ...cyclocross ...stuntbiking ...and all the other 'inclusive' types of cycling this new outfit ...Cycling UK ...wish to pander to...??

It was bad enough when we had to become a cycling 'charity' instead of a cycling club ...maybe this is the final nail in my membership 'coffin'...!!

Those in power at CTC HQ should be ashamed of themselves

Not happy!!! :(
...ever cycle ...ever CTC
gaz

Post by gaz »

Steady rider wrote:... With an income of about £1.75 million the CTC is down the order by some way. ...

Except that's not CTC's income, that's just the membership subscriptions (donations). Total income for 2014 was £5.5 million.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Velocio wrote:...this is not good...

Is there another Cycling Touring Club we can join ...that doesn't reflect mountain biking ...cyclocross ...stuntbiking ...and all the other 'inclusive' types of cycling this new outfit ...Cycling UK ...wish to pander to...??

It was bad enough when we had to become a cycling 'charity' instead of a cycling club ...maybe this is the final nail in my membership 'coffin'...!!

Not happy!!! :(

You were consulted, extensively. Even the cycling weekly story you link references the most recent consultation. Sorry, but you really can't get uppity about something that's been going on and known about for years. Personally I think the new logo it's a bit crap, a little too like Macmillan, and losing the history is a shame, but really demanding it doesn't "pander" to other lesser cycling styles (as inferred in your post) is silly. Things change over time. Men only clubs have to accept women. White only clubs now accept all humans. The CTC accepts mountain bikes and is inclusive (you say this as if accepting disabled people is a bad thing, I disagree). Get over it.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Velocio wrote:... Is there another Cycling Touring Club we can join ...

The Touring Cyclists Club - gauging interest since May 2010. Still something of a fledgling organisation.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

beardy wrote:Yes, the battle was lost a few years ago, the members' cycling club was taken over (hostile to my mind) to be a charity.

How can it be hostile when it was put to a vote of the membership that overwhelmingly endorsed it?

Now people must be paid much more to run it.

We've just done that. The people that now run the charity are paid no more in real terms than those that ran the club.

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good moan. :roll:
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

You were - or rather the membership was.

You mean that. the membership wish to pander to. What is happening is the result of asking the membership what it wanted. Cycle touring wasn't a high priority for them.

You mean the charity that the membership voted overwhelmingly to become?

What for not prioritising your wishes over the wishes of the vast majority of the membership?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Barred1 wrote:
TonyR wrote:
gaz wrote:Philip Benstead recently suggested the CEO receives £81,000.

And Kevin Mayne and Gordon Seabright?

... and don't forget the on-costs of employer's National Insurance and doubtless an employer pension contribution . . .

B1

We always used to use an employee cost as double their salary (at ALL company levels - people at the top make more/higher expenses claims, need/get more expensive computers, etc.).

Ian
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

TonyR wrote:

You were - or rather the membership was.

No we weren't - or at least I wasn't. Were you? Were any of the other members on here consulted on changing the name to Cycling UK?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Psamathe wrote:We always used to use an employee cost as double their salary (at ALL company levels - people at the top make more/higher expenses claims, need/get more expensive computers, etc.).

Right answer, wrong reason. There are some on costs which are proportional to salary - NI, pension contribution etc. But the rest typically comes not from adding up all the costs for each employee, but from adding up the costs for all employees - rent, rates, heating, IT, etc - and allocating it in proportion to the direct labour costs. Doesn't mean they cost more, its just an artefact of the way the accountants like to account for it.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Psamathe wrote:We always used to use an employee cost as double their salary (at ALL company levels - people at the top make more/higher expenses claims, need/get more expensive computers, etc.).

Quote from another thread:
Philip Benstead wrote:... CTC Rebranding Chair Statement - Philip Benstead Reply

DC = David Cox
PB = Philip Benstead
DC However, the last time we conducted a poll of the whole club, the cost of the process was approximately £14,000. In terms of what this means to our charity, that is enough to employ a staff member for over 5 months to offer full time support to Member Groups.
PB That works out has £33,000 over one year with additional add on costs comes to £66,000 per year. Is that a cast iron comments? I think not.

£14,000 / 5 x 12 = £33,600 not £66,000. I wondered where Philip Benstead had come up with the accounting assumption of take the number you can show to be true and double it.

TonyR wrote:... Doesn't mean they cost more, its just an artefact of the way the accountants like to account for it.

Thanks for clearing that up.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

gaz wrote:£14,000 / 5 x 12 = £33,600 not £66,000. I wondered where Philip Benstead had come up with the accounting assumption of take the number you can show to be true and double it.

Its not a real number. In reality if you add a member of staff, you usually don't rent extra office space or use extra heating. You use what you already have. In accounting terms though the cost of the extra member of staff is calculated assuming their full share of all those overhead costs. But since the overhead costs are quasi-fixed, the cost of all the other staff drops because the fixed overhead cost is now allocated across n+1 staff rather than n. So in accounting terms it might come out at £66k but in actual incremental cost terms its more likely to be £33,600 + 30%. (NI & pension contribution) which is £43,680.

I think this goes a long way to underline the point about having people doing the job who know all this stuff from experience otherwise they could quite easily have no idea of what their operating costs really are and how to manage them.