It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
mark a.

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Post by mark a. »

I would be so happy if the re-branding gets rid of the amateurish ctc logo (and go back to the winged wheel?).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mark a. wrote:I would be so happy if the re-branding gets rid of the amateurish ctc logo (and go back to the winged wheel?).

That is the very least of the CTC's membership's problems,it's but a superficial indication of a much deeper and far more worrying issue,if you are a contributor to the charity.
From the outside looking in the destination for the as was,now contributor,membership is entropic IMHO,YVMV.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

Well I did not renew when my membership was due on 1st November. The changes the board are trying to make to the number of member elected councillors was the last straw. Up until those proposals I was uncertain as to whether I would renew.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Karen Sutton wrote:Well I did not renew when my membership was due on 1st November. The changes the board are trying to make to the number of member elected councillors was the last straw. Up until those proposals I was uncertain as to whether I would renew.

Gosh - I though you were there for the duration .... I just cancelled my membership for the same reasons (and more) and got a refund on the balance of the year's subscription.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

I had a commuted membership which expired on 31st October 2015. I had heard soon after the conversion to charity that the CTC were looking at marketing the Touring Club side of things under the winged wheel, sort of separately to the charity. Kind of alongside CTC Holidays and Tours.

So I thought I'd see out my commuted membership and see how it was all looking before deciding whether to renew. I decided it isn't looking good so did not renew. My adult daughter has joined British Cycling instead of renewing with CTC, but she does sportive and track cycling so that seemed right to her. Not sure what her brother and I will do but we need insurance so will do something. I'm not riding much at present so not in a hurry.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Karen Sutton wrote:I had a commuted membership which expired on 31st October 2015. I had heard soon after the conversion to charity that the CTC were looking at marketing the Touring Club side of things under the winged wheel, sort of separately to the charity. Kind of alongside CTC Holidays and Tours.

So I thought I'd see out my commuted membership and see how it was all looking before deciding whether to renew. I decided it isn't looking good so did not renew. My adult daughter has joined British Cycling instead of renewing with CTC, but she does sportive and track cycling so that seemed right to her. Not sure what her brother and I will do but we need insurance so will do something. I'm not riding much at present so not in a hurry.

Assuming you have a household policy ... take a look at it and see if it includes TP cover ... mine does at pretty much the same deal as CTC/BC .. and no extra cost* (AND they insure my bikes at 5% - yes 5% - of the cost that CTC quoted for theft insurance ... and I don't need a specified "weighs more than the bike" lock) No brainer.

Rob

* ... with, of course, a Meerkat toy of our choice
Karen Sutton

Post by Karen Sutton »

robgul wrote:
Karen Sutton wrote:I had a commuted membership which expired on 31st October 2015. I had heard soon after the conversion to charity that the CTC were looking at marketing the Touring Club side of things under the winged wheel, sort of separately to the charity. Kind of alongside CTC Holidays and Tours.

Assuming you have a household policy ... take a look at it and see if it includes TP cover ... mine does at pretty much the same deal as CTC/BC .. and no extra cost* (AND they insure my bikes at 5% - yes 5% - of the cost that CTC quoted for theft insurance ... and I don't need a specified "weighs more than the bike" lock) No brainer.

Rob

* ... with, of course, a Meerkat toy of our choice

I just renewed my M & S policy. Bikes up to £1,000 value insured at no extra cost. We no longer have very valuable bikes so that's enough for us. I'll have a look at the third party cover offered. The legal cover offered by CTC to fight your side in court doesn't appear to be any different to any other No Win No Fee company now, unless I understand that wrong.
Bazza55

Post by Bazza55 »

Okay Okay don't laugh but rumour has it that the NEW rebranded name for our beloved Cyclists Touring Club is.....(roll of drums)... CYCLING UK! Brilliant isn't it?
All that time, all our membership money paid on consultants and it's CYCLING UK apparently. Not to be confused with CYCLE NATION or even BRITISH CYCLING, though plenty of people will get confused. What a waste of money and a total let down to have an unimaginative name similar to two other organisations. The consultancy firm certainly saw the CTC coming when asked to rebrand our Cyclists Touring Club.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Well there's certainly more information in the October Council minutes.
7 Re-Brand
Paul Handley from Campfire thanked everyone for taking part in the workshops and/or questionnaires and he confirmed that just over 2000 people had been consulted. Paul then gave an excellent presentation and a few responses have been noted below.

• Absolutely amazing piece of work, I’m so proud, perfect, superb.
• Part of the way we do our campaigning – it is not who we are at the moment it is who we need to be moving on.
• The essence is absolutely right but it is hard to get campaigners on board. Maybe we should consider a sub-brand when presenting at campaigning events.
• Much more positive experience than in the past. Some words may need tweaking but a good process overall. Just need to be mindful of the images to
be used.
• The presentation pulled everything together and it is what I’d like my young daughter to be involved in.
• Enjoyed the presentation very much, really powerful.
• The words ‘protecting the joy of cycling’ works really well.
• The words ‘freedom of our roads’ maybe should say ‘freedom to ride’ rather than excluding people that ride off road.

After the presentation Paul Tuohy thanked everyone for their feed-back and reminded Council that agreement was needed that Campfire have captured the ‘essence’. That is the important point. Councillors agreed unanimously that Campfire had captured the ‘essence’.

Re-branding is about much more than just the name.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

gaz wrote:Re-branding is about much more than just the name.

Absolutely.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Yay! Heart of England Cycling Club gets a mention in the minutes :D

Rob
PH

Post by PH »

9 Governance (confidential)
A substantial discussion took place on the Governance proposals all of which remain
confidential.

Says it all really :?
gaz

Post by gaz »

That item was confidential :shock: That's not what I was told :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I think changing the name to CUK would just about finish me off in terms of membership, where's the heritage and history gone?