It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Psamathe

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Post by Psamathe »

(As pointed out above) CYCLING UK is bound to cause confusion with other existing cycling organisations which will probably be to the detriment of all of them. I can see the CTC (or rather CYCLING UK) maybe wanting to be confused (a bit) with British Cycling as they [British Cycling] seem to have a far greater profile. But I think CTC will lose it's identity with the confusion.

It seems a real shame as the new name does not really say anything about the sector the organisation is working for. CYCLING UK as a name would suggest velodrome racing just as much as cycling for transport, etc. Loses a lot that would help the organisation "stand-out".

Ian
RickH

Post by RickH »

Psamathe wrote:(As pointed out above) CYCLING UK is bound to cause confusion with other existing cycling organisations which will probably be to the detriment of all of them. I can see the CTC (or rather CYCLING UK) maybe wanting to be confused (a bit) with British Cycling as they [British Cycling] seem to have a far greater profile. But I think CTC will lose it's identity with the confusion.

It seems a real shame as the new name does not really say anything about the sector the organisation is working for. CYCLING UK as a name would suggest velodrome racing just as much as cycling for transport, etc. Loses a lot that would help the organisation "stand-out".

Ian

I'm not sure a strapline of "protecting the joy of cycling" (bullet 7 in Rebranding section of minutes) suggests a lot of velodrome activity to me (although I can recommend giving it a try even if it is just the once! :D ).

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

New name works for me. CTC means nothing to most people. Just an unfathomable TLA except to those in the know. Cyclist Touring Club no longer does it. Its so much more than just cycle touring these days and I suspect puts a lot of non-touring cyclists off. Cycling UK is simple,. obvious and says what it needs to say - that its a UK organisation and its to do with cycling.
beardy

Post by beardy »

We could then be the Forum of Cycling UK.

Though the name FCUK is already taken I believe.
robgul

Post by robgul »

RickH wrote:
Psamathe wrote:(As pointed out above) CYCLING UK is bound to cause confusion with other existing cycling organisations which will probably be to the detriment of all of them. I can see the CTC (or rather CYCLING UK) maybe wanting to be confused (a bit) with British Cycling as they [British Cycling] seem to have a far greater profile. But I think CTC will lose it's identity with the confusion.

Ian

I'm not sure a strapline of "protecting the joy of cycling" (bullet 7 in Rebranding section of minutes) suggests a lot of velodrome activity to me (although I can recommend giving it a try even if it is just the once! :D ).

Rick.

I cannot believe that those words will form the strapline to use in any promotion ... as Mr McEnroe used to say "You cannot be serious"

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

RickH wrote:

Ian

Rick.

I was considering the name, not the list of bullet points. And I'm sure that those hammering as fast as they can round a velodrome really enjoy their cycling as well.

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

The domain name of CyclingUK.org was registered on 9 Nov 2015. Whoever registered it has not revealed themselves, choosing to use the Identity Protect Ltd privacy service instead.

Who could it be? Your guess is as good as mine :mrgreen: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Dennis_Snape

Post by Dennis_Snape »

How about the announcement..... CYCLING UK...the New Charity that will continue to milk the good name of CTC for all its worth :D
Last edited by Dennis_Snape on 9 Feb 2016, 9:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
robgul

Post by robgul »

gaz wrote:The domain name of CyclingUK.org was registered on 9 Nov 2015. Whoever registered it has not revealed themselves, choosing to use the Identity Protect Ltd privacy service instead.

Who could it be? Your guess is as good as mine :mrgreen: .

Here's the full SP on the domain name - the fact that it's in Godalming and the registrar is in Guildford may or not be a coincidence? Seems like lots of other domains registered at the same address.

Domain Name: CYCLINGUK.ORG
Domain ID: D177973592-LROR
WHOIS Server:
Referral URL: http://www.domainmonster.com
Updated Date: 2016-01-09T03:47:19Z
Creation Date: 2015-11-09T16:46:29Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2017-11-09T16:46:29Z
Sponsoring Registrar: Mesh Digital Limited
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 1390
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Registrant ID: MNT12F55427746
Registrant Name: Identity Protection Service
Registrant Organization: Identity Protect Limited
Registrant Street: PO Box 795
Registrant City: Godalming
Registrant State/Province: Surrey
Registrant Postal Code: GU7 9GA
Registrant Country: GB
Registrant Phone: +44.1483307527
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +44.1483304031
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registrant Email: cyclinguk.org@identity-protect.org
Admin ID: MNT12F55427746
Admin Name: Identity Protection Service
Admin Organization: Identity Protect Limited
Admin Street: PO Box 795
Admin City: Godalming
Admin State/Province: Surrey
Admin Postal Code: GU7 9GA
Admin Country: GB
Admin Phone: +44.1483307527
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax: +44.1483304031
Admin Fax Ext:
Admin Email: cyclinguk.org@identity-protect.org
Tech ID: MNT12F55427746
Tech Name: Identity Protection Service
Tech Organization: Identity Protect Limited
Tech Street: PO Box 795
Tech City: Godalming
Tech State/Province: Surrey
Tech Postal Code: GU7 9GA
Tech Country: GB
Tech Phone: +44.1483307527
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax: +44.1483304031
Tech Fax Ext:
Tech Email: cyclinguk.org@identity-protect.org
Name Server: NS.123-REG.CO.UK
Name Server: NS2.123-REG.CO.UK
DNSSEC: unsigned

-------------------
robgul

Post by robgul »

Here's another derivation registered in 2007 :

Domain Name: CYCLING-UK.ORG
Domain ID: D148645040-LROR
WHOIS Server:
Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
Updated Date: 2015-12-14T16:57:25Z
Creation Date: 2007-07-19T16:16:50Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2016-07-19T16:16:50Z
Sponsoring Registrar: eNom, Inc.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 48
Domain Status: ok https://www.icann.org/epp#ok
Registrant ID: BA89C16DAB1D5480
Registrant Name: William Berry
Registrant Organization: Net121 Ltd
Registrant Street: Park House
Registrant City: Ealing
Registrant State/Province: London
Registrant Postal Code: W5 5LB
Registrant Country: GB
Registrant Phone: +44.2088321209
Dennis_Snape

Post by Dennis_Snape »

Well looking on the brighter side, when this re-brand happens those now in charge of the Cyclists Touring Club would have to give up the CTC name surely??? I mean, they wouldn't have the brass neck to continue to say they represented the Cyclists Touring Club as well.......would they????? :mrgreen:
gaz

Post by gaz »

IMO Cyclist's Touring Club Limited is likely to remain the registered company name, CyclingUK will be a trading name.

Intriguingly @cyclinguk has been registered on Twitter since May 2011, hasn't tweeted yet and has three followers, including CTC.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Dennis_Snape wrote:Well looking on the brighter side, when this re-brand happens those now in charge of the Cyclists Touring Club would have to give up the CTC name surely??? I mean, they wouldn't have the brass neck to continue to say they represented the Cyclists Touring Club as well.......would they????? :mrgreen:

Why not? They will presumably be representing all forms of cycling including, not excluding, cycle tourists.

And its quite normal to use the old name in a brand transition, not because it means anything to most people but because it does mean something to a few and to help them across.

Anyone remember Snickers or Smarties or Arthur Andersen?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cuk rhymes with Euch. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Si

Post by Si »

TonyR wrote: CTC means nothing to most people. Just an unfathomable TLA except to those in the know. Cyclist Touring Club no longer does it. Its so much more than just cycle touring these days and I suspect puts a lot of non-touring cyclists off.

This.

The vast majority of people have no idea what CTC stands for. When we see someone on TV from the CTC the caption normally gets it wrong as CTC is meaningless and "Cyclists' Touring Club" gives no credence to any campaigning objective. Even amongst cyclists the majority either have no idea what CTC is, or they hear Cyclists' Touring Club and think ageing, conservative, boring, beardy, blokes, doing boring rides on boring bikes.

Not sure whether I like Cycling UK yet, but at least it tells you what you are getting: cycling in the UK.

BTW "rebranding" != "change of name". I fear that anyone horrified by this one aspect of rebranding will need to stock up on the valium when the full raft of changes appears :lol:

I wonder if they will be selling patches to be sewn onto the CTC clothing merchandise ? All of those club shirts out there saying the wrong thing.....