It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
reohn2

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Post by reohn2 »

PaulB wrote:As I've mentioned on another post, many of us joined a club. That club has now been hi-jacked by career executives looking to climb the corporate ladder.

+1 of that there's no doubt whatsoever in my mind and why I decided not to renew my membership when overnight I became a donor :evil:
If you are happy to belong to such an organisation then fine but have some understanding of those long term members who feel very betrayed.

And betrayal isn't,and never can be,too strong a word to be used for what's happened to the Cyclist Touring CLUB!
Utterly disgraceful :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Cycling UK is a trading name of Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC)

http://www.bromley.gov.uk/leaflet/204102/4/675/d
Displaying company information
business letters
notices
official publications
websites
bills of exchange
promissory notes
endorsements
order forms
cheques signed by or on behalf of the company
orders for money, goods or services signed by or on behalf of the company
bills of parcels
invoices
demands for payment
receipts
letters of credit
applications for licences to carry on a trade or activity
all other forms of its business correspondence and documentation

Members of the CTC may be able to request that the CTC name is used on their membership cards, that represents a business correspondence between the CTC and the member, they have paid and the card is provided as proof.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Steady rider wrote:Members of the CTC may be able to request that the CTC name is used on their membership cards, that represents a business correspondence between the CTC and the member, they have paid and the card is provided as proof.

Since the current CTC branded membership cards don't have such information I wouldn't hold out too much hope. The Cyclists' Touring Club nomenclature, registered office address, etc are on the letter to which the card is attached, which appears to be sufficient to meet the legal requirements.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

I refer to;

http://www.bromley.gov.uk/leaflet/204102/4/675/d

REGISTERED NAME TO APPEAR IN COMMUNICATIONS

Companies must disclose their registered name on:

· business letters

all other forms of its business correspondence and documentation

I consider my life membership card to represent a form of business document, having paid for it and it showing my membership number and name. A brand name may change, is not sufficient in my view. I would like my membership card to show the registration name in keeping with UK legal practice.

The old cards had CTC shown in several places plus brand name. Trading standards may have concerns if an organisation is unwilling to provide the registration name to members on their membership cards.
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:
Steady rider wrote:Members of the CTC may be able to request that the CTC name is used on their membership cards, that represents a business correspondence between the CTC and the member, they have paid and the card is provided as proof.

Since the current CTC branded membership cards don't have such information I wouldn't hold out too much hope. The Cyclists' Touring Club nomenclature, registered office address, etc are on the letter to which the card is attached, which appears to be sufficient to meet the legal requirements.

Or rather, no member has yet wanted to burn their money by taking CTC to court?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I had idly assumed that the new "name" signified that "CTC" had actually merged with/been taken over by British Cycling. I am sure that the non-cycling public will discern no distinction between the two (and in fact from what I can learn from a brief study nor can I). I'd always thought of the CTC as a beacon of amateurism and, yes, idealism in a swamp of money ....sorry, funding... grubbing professional sport.

IF the 2 are "seen" as simply two arms of the one "sport" (and the public sees only sport, not pastime, and therefore riches and professionalism), then one will impact on the other. Shame, then about "British Cycling technical director Shane Sutton has been suspended amid an investigation into discrimination allegations." What? Sport discriminating against women and the disabled? Some mistake surely.....

Sad.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I bet the Cycling UK are glad they aren't British Cycling today! :lol:
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:I bet the Cycling UK are glad they aren't British Cycling today! :lol:

I think the non-cycling community will not distinguish between the two - just think it's the same organisation. I bet if you went up to 20 people at random in Tesco and ask them what they thought about Cycling UK's UK's Technical Director(?) quitting and the circumstances none would correct you about the organisation.

Which would illustrate one of the big problems with the name. They might want to hang-on to British cycling's coat tails but they will pick up the negative bits as well!

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

Psamathe wrote:... I bet if you went up to 20 people at random in Tesco and ask them what they thought about Cycling UK's UK's Technical Director(?) quitting and the circumstances none would correct you about the organisation. ...

Except you wouldn't ask them that becasue it is British Cycling's UK Technical Director(?) who has resigned.

I suppose, if you were trying to do some kind of market research into brand differentiation you might consider such a question. I've no experience of such market research to know how realistic or otherwise such a question would be.

It seems extremely unlikely that anyone would conduct such an exercise less than four weeks after the launch of the new brand.

I also suspect that if you were to ask 20 people at random in Tesco and ask them what they thought about CTC's UK Technical Director(?) quitting and the circumstances then either they wouldn't correct you about the organisation or they'd be asking "what's the CTC?". If you then went on rephrase the question as what they thought about Cyclists' Touring Club's UK Technical Director(?) quitting and the circumstance they still wouldn't correct you about the organisation.
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

gaz wrote:
Psamathe wrote:... I bet if you went up to 20 people at random in Tesco and ask them what they thought about Cycling UK's UK's Technical Director(?) quitting and the circumstances none would correct you about the organisation. ...

Except you wouldn't ask them that becasue it is British Cycling's UK Technical Director(?) who has resigned.

I suppose, if you were trying to do some kind of market research into brand differentiation you might consider such a question. I've no experience of such market research to know how realistic or otherwise such a question would be.

It seems extremely unlikely that anyone would conduct such an exercise less than four weeks after the launch of the new brand.

I also suspect that if you were to ask 20 people at random in Tesco and ask them what they thought about CTC's UK Technical Director(?) quitting and the circumstances then either they wouldn't correct you about the organisation or they'd be asking "what's the CTC?". If you then went on rephrase the question as what they thought about Cyclists' Touring Club's UK Technical Director(?) quitting and the circumstance they still wouldn't correct you about the organisation.

Hello
One might ask the same of any random cyclist and they would not have a clue either!
John
honesty

Post by honesty »

Could that be because most people couldn't give a flying monkeys about specific charities/governing bodies/etc. maybe? We get so wrapped up in the groups we are involved with that we can sometimes escalate their importance to everyone else to such an extent that we just cannot understand why they don't know the difference between them. (what do you mean you dont know the difference between Wado and Shotokan? how dare you) In reality you ask most people on the street about any such group and they are probably going to look at you blankly...
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gaz wrote:

Exactly my point. They would not distinguish between the two names/organisations because of the name the Cukers have selected will (deliberately?) lead to confusion.

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

No, they wouldn't distinguish between the names of the organisations because people aren't expecting trick questions when they are out doing their shopping in Tesco.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

gaz wrote:No, they wouldn't distinguish between the names of the organisations because people aren't expecting trick questions when they are out doing their shopping in Tesco.

And because most people don't have any clue about cycling organisations, except maybe team Sky?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom