It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
mark a.
Posts: 1358
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 2:47pm
Location: Surrey

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby mark a. » 23 Nov 2015, 12:06pm

I would be so happy if the re-branding gets rid of the amateurish ctc logo (and go back to the winged wheel?).

reohn2
Posts: 36707
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby reohn2 » 23 Nov 2015, 12:21pm

mark a. wrote:I would be so happy if the re-branding gets rid of the amateurish ctc logo (and go back to the winged wheel?).


That is the very least of the CTC's membership's problems,it's but a superficial indication of a much deeper and far more worrying issue,if you are a contributor to the charity.
From the outside looking in the destination for the as was,now contributor,membership is entropic IMHO,YVMV.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Karen Sutton
Posts: 608
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:18pm
Location: Greater Manchester

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby Karen Sutton » 23 Nov 2015, 12:44pm

Well I did not renew when my membership was due on 1st November. The changes the board are trying to make to the number of member elected councillors was the last straw. Up until those proposals I was uncertain as to whether I would renew.

User avatar
robgul
Posts: 2915
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 8:40pm
Contact:

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby robgul » 24 Nov 2015, 4:00pm

Karen Sutton wrote:Well I did not renew when my membership was due on 1st November. The changes the board are trying to make to the number of member elected councillors was the last straw. Up until those proposals I was uncertain as to whether I would renew.


Gosh - I though you were there for the duration .... I just cancelled my membership for the same reasons (and more) and got a refund on the balance of the year's subscription.

Rob

JohnW
Posts: 6242
Joined: 6 Jan 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Yorkshire

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby JohnW » 25 Nov 2015, 8:14pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Karen Sutton
Posts: 608
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:18pm
Location: Greater Manchester

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby Karen Sutton » 25 Nov 2015, 8:25pm

I had a commuted membership which expired on 31st October 2015. I had heard soon after the conversion to charity that the CTC were looking at marketing the Touring Club side of things under the winged wheel, sort of separately to the charity. Kind of alongside CTC Holidays and Tours.

So I thought I'd see out my commuted membership and see how it was all looking before deciding whether to renew. I decided it isn't looking good so did not renew. My adult daughter has joined British Cycling instead of renewing with CTC, but she does sportive and track cycling so that seemed right to her. Not sure what her brother and I will do but we need insurance so will do something. I'm not riding much at present so not in a hurry.

User avatar
robgul
Posts: 2915
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 8:40pm
Contact:

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby robgul » 25 Nov 2015, 8:33pm

Karen Sutton wrote:I had a commuted membership which expired on 31st October 2015. I had heard soon after the conversion to charity that the CTC were looking at marketing the Touring Club side of things under the winged wheel, sort of separately to the charity. Kind of alongside CTC Holidays and Tours.

So I thought I'd see out my commuted membership and see how it was all looking before deciding whether to renew. I decided it isn't looking good so did not renew. My adult daughter has joined British Cycling instead of renewing with CTC, but she does sportive and track cycling so that seemed right to her. Not sure what her brother and I will do but we need insurance so will do something. I'm not riding much at present so not in a hurry.


Assuming you have a household policy ... take a look at it and see if it includes TP cover ... mine does at pretty much the same deal as CTC/BC .. and no extra cost* (AND they insure my bikes at 5% - yes 5% - of the cost that CTC quoted for theft insurance ... and I don't need a specified "weighs more than the bike" lock) No brainer.

Rob

* ... with, of course, a Meerkat toy of our choice

Karen Sutton
Posts: 608
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 11:18pm
Location: Greater Manchester

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby Karen Sutton » 25 Nov 2015, 8:52pm

robgul wrote:
Karen Sutton wrote:I had a commuted membership which expired on 31st October 2015. I had heard soon after the conversion to charity that the CTC were looking at marketing the Touring Club side of things under the winged wheel, sort of separately to the charity. Kind of alongside CTC Holidays and Tours.

So I thought I'd see out my commuted membership and see how it was all looking before deciding whether to renew. I decided it isn't looking good so did not renew. My adult daughter has joined British Cycling instead of renewing with CTC, but she does sportive and track cycling so that seemed right to her. Not sure what her brother and I will do but we need insurance so will do something. I'm not riding much at present so not in a hurry.


Assuming you have a household policy ... take a look at it and see if it includes TP cover ... mine does at pretty much the same deal as CTC/BC .. and no extra cost* (AND they insure my bikes at 5% - yes 5% - of the cost that CTC quoted for theft insurance ... and I don't need a specified "weighs more than the bike" lock) No brainer.

Rob

* ... with, of course, a Meerkat toy of our choice


I just renewed my M & S policy. Bikes up to £1,000 value insured at no extra cost. We no longer have very valuable bikes so that's enough for us. I'll have a look at the third party cover offered. The legal cover offered by CTC to fight your side in court doesn't appear to be any different to any other No Win No Fee company now, unless I understand that wrong.

Bazza55
Posts: 39
Joined: 22 May 2013, 4:56pm

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby Bazza55 » 9 Feb 2016, 6:02pm

Okay Okay don't laugh but rumour has it that the NEW rebranded name for our beloved Cyclists Touring Club is.....(roll of drums)... CYCLING UK! Brilliant isn't it?
All that time, all our membership money paid on consultants and it's CYCLING UK apparently. Not to be confused with CYCLE NATION or even BRITISH CYCLING, though plenty of people will get confused. What a waste of money and a total let down to have an unimaginative name similar to two other organisations. The consultancy firm certainly saw the CTC coming when asked to rebrand our Cyclists Touring Club.

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13778
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby gaz » 9 Feb 2016, 6:24pm

Well there's certainly more information in the October Council minutes.
7 Re-Brand
Paul Handley from Campfire thanked everyone for taking part in the workshops and/or questionnaires and he confirmed that just over 2000 people had been consulted. Paul then gave an excellent presentation and a few responses have been noted below.

• Absolutely amazing piece of work, I’m so proud, perfect, superb.
• Part of the way we do our campaigning – it is not who we are at the moment it is who we need to be moving on.
• The essence is absolutely right but it is hard to get campaigners on board. Maybe we should consider a sub-brand when presenting at campaigning events.
• Much more positive experience than in the past. Some words may need tweaking but a good process overall. Just need to be mindful of the images to
be used.
• The presentation pulled everything together and it is what I’d like my young daughter to be involved in.
• Enjoyed the presentation very much, really powerful.
• The words ‘protecting the joy of cycling’ works really well.
• The words ‘freedom of our roads’ maybe should say ‘freedom to ride’ rather than excluding people that ride off road.

After the presentation Paul Tuohy thanked everyone for their feed-back and reminded Council that agreement was needed that Campfire have captured the ‘essence’. That is the important point. Councillors agreed unanimously that Campfire had captured the ‘essence’.

Re-branding is about much more than just the name.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

TonyR
Posts: 5390
Joined: 31 Aug 2008, 12:51pm

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby TonyR » 9 Feb 2016, 6:27pm

gaz wrote:Re-branding is about much more than just the name.


Absolutely.

User avatar
robgul
Posts: 2915
Joined: 8 Jan 2007, 8:40pm
Contact:

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby robgul » 9 Feb 2016, 6:35pm

Yay! Heart of England Cycling Club gets a mention in the minutes :D

Rob

PH
Posts: 7665
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby PH » 9 Feb 2016, 7:19pm

9 Governance (confidential)
A substantial discussion took place on the Governance proposals all of which remain
confidential.

Says it all really :?

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13778
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby gaz » 9 Feb 2016, 7:44pm

That item was confidential :shock: That's not what I was told :wink:
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

geocycle
Posts: 1738
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 9:46am

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Postby geocycle » 9 Feb 2016, 7:48pm

I think changing the name to CUK would just about finish me off in terms of membership, where's the heritage and history gone?