It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Cunobelin

Re: It's all in the name - Cyclists' TOURING club

Post by Cunobelin »

al_yrpal wrote:
2. Get the president to move over and get Paxman, Boris or Clarkson in.

That was irony wasn't it?

If not then I think we should also use Emma Way as a pinup girl for the organisation, Matthew Parrish as the press officer and open a Cafe run by Peter MArtin
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Maybe irony, but there's a good point made.

What we need is a president with a bit of clout. Someone with a larger-than-life persona, someone with some "celebrity" whom everyone knows and is noticeable, someone who speaks their mind and doesn't mind upsetting people along the way.

Clarkson is a good example.
Mick F. Cornwall
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:Maybe irony, but there's a good point made.

What we need is a president with a bit of clout. Someone with a larger-than-life persona, someone with some "celebrity" whom everyone knows and is noticeable, someone who speaks their mind and doesn't mind upsetting people along the way.

What would such a president have to do with The Cyclists' Touring Club? I can understand why such a person would be an ideal candidate for a campaigning group, but as you've already said that's not what you want the CTC to be.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick!

You got it perfectly. A President doesnt have to do much, but when someone with clout speaks, people listen. The weak part of the CTC is that they don't understand publicity and PR

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Nigel Farage?
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

PH wrote:

What would such a president have to do with The Cyclists' Touring Club? I can understand why such a person would be an ideal candidate for a campaigning group, but as you've already said that's not what you want the CTC to be.

This is a good point and relates back to the fundamental issue of the CTC deciding what it wants to be. At the moment it's falling between several stools.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The word "club" can successfully marketed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTVbolisDhw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmZCMmNPkM

PS Wouldn't you fall among several stools? But it's a good point, well made IMO.
Si

Post by Si »

The presidential role tends to be more figurehead and publicity, thus I think that it is a good point to raise when talking about rebranding.

I can see the benefit of having someone who is loud, well known, even a tad controversial in that they speak their minds...but the problem here comes when their views conflict with the CTC's: something that has happened in the past. Given that the role benefits the CTC more than it benefits the president themselves, how do you make sure that we don't end up with media lines such as "CTC president <name> says....." followed by something that in totally counter to the CTC's policy?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

It could do with fixing. As others have said CTC is not a recognised name in the general public which is why whenever you visit e.g. the BBC website they have to prefix it with an explanatory "the cycling charity" or "the national cycling charity". And that although correct does not really best describe it for increasing interest and awareness.

You could split it up into different organisations for different sectors as some have suggested but that will only further dilute the recognition of cycling and weaken the impact of any voice for change. Government and the media don't like having to deal with lots of different bodies on a topic. They like to be able to go to one organisation that speaks for all cyclists. The differentiation between sport and leisure/transport cycling is not too much of a problem so CTC and BC can co-exist reasonably well but splitting out touring from mountain biking from commuting from family cycling would be a disaster of confusing sub-critical groups offering a cacophony of messages on what cycling needs. The thought processes you want a potential member or civil servant or reporter to go through is "cycling - that's CTC - lets speak to them" rather than "cycling - what type of cycling is it? - which bodies represent them? - lets try starting with ..."

In being represented there is definitely safety in numbers and campaigning for on-road improvements for transport cyclists improves the conditions for touring cyclists or mountain bikers getting to the start of the ride or people new to cycling out for their first trial potter.

The present descriptor doesn't do the job either. It says what it is, not what it does. So for most people "the national cycling charity" is probably perceived as like Oxfam, something you might donate to but is about helping other people, not yourself. Marks and Spencers for example would never use `'a national retail store" as its strap-line. It needs something short and snappy that says what it does on the tin. Something like, off the top of the head "Working for British Cyclists" and given the lack of brand recognition for CTC, if the name could be the strapline too (so people don't need to explain it) better still. The West Cornwall Pasty Company and Yo! Sushi come to mind as good examples where you know from the name exactly what you are getting.

Just my £0.02 worth.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

One would hope that a good president would be making points the CTC wanted to make. The fact that such a person could have their own agenda applies to anybody. If they are totally out of tune they should stand down like Alan Sugar did after his Czar disaster. That's a thought ...... Lord Sugar!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Si wrote:The presidential role tends to be more figurehead and publicity, thus I think that it is a good point to raise when talking about rebranding.

I can see the benefit of having someone who is loud, well known, even a tad controversial in that they speak their minds...but the problem here comes when their views conflict with the CTC's: something that has happened in the past. Given that the role benefits the CTC more than it benefits the president themselves, how do you make sure that we don't end up with media lines such as "CTC president <name> says....." followed by something that in totally counter to the CTC's policy?

I think Boris would be a great President to get CTC and cycling on the map. Initially controversy doesn't matter too much - its all about raising awareness, getting known and getting cycling on the agenda. The sorts of concerns you have come later on when you are known enough that people are starting to pay serious attention to your policies. How many voters do you think know what the policies of UKIP are and who the UKIP candidates are that they have voted in? Farage has done a great job of getting UKIP recognised on the national stage despite having only a couple of poorly thought through policies and a bunch of bongo-bongo candidates. But its now getting to the stage where he does need credible policies and candidates if he is to get further but those would be wasted if UKIP was still down there with the Monster Raving Loony party in public awareness.
Urticaria

Post by Urticaria »

Si, apropos "CTC", wrote:Well the first one suggests that we are only for tourists and nothing else, and gives the image of beards, sandals worn over socks, and festering cotton duck.

Is this not accurate? I think an analysis of photos is called for. Even those who can't grow beards are sporting them in their minds.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote: ..... What we need is a president with a bit of clout. Someone with a larger-than-life persona .........

PH wrote:What would such a president have to do with The Cyclists' Touring Club? I can understand why such a person would be an ideal candidate for a campaigning group, but as you've already said that's not what you want the CTC to be.
Yep, you're right about me. I want the CTC back again as it was. It's what I joined, and since joining it has appeared to steadily into something different.

Trouble is, I have a choice. Stay with it and make the best of it - or leave it and shut up.

I'll stick with it for now, but I reserve the right to take option 2.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:
Trouble is, I have a choice. Stay with it and make the best of it -I'll stick with it for now........

So you stick with and pay subs to something that is totally ineffective and contrary to what it was up until becoming a "charity"( :? )
or leave it and shut up

I left because of the above.
But as this is an open forum I reserve the right to speak my mind until such times as I'm unable to.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Just signed up for another 5 years. Hoping someone is listening. I would be up for joining a non politicing touring oriented club that provided insurance and legal representation though. I am not an urban based commuter cyclist and that's what the CTC seems increasingly focussed on. As Mick says its drifting away from its core purpose and ideals.

Al