cycling into old age

bikepacker

Re: cycling into old age

Post by bikepacker »

Just got in from a nice 30 mile ride and will probably do the same this afternoon. In just over a month I shall be 74 and think I am doing well by maintaining a target of 10.000 miles a year. I say think I am doing well because two of my cycling friends are both 5 years older than me and do as many miles. My bikes are all steel framed touring bikes and I believe using the heavier bike helps me keep a high level of fitness.

Last year while touring Wales with one of the above friends, he was 79 earlier this month, we climbed with a full camping load, from Aberystwyth via Devils Bridge up to The Arch on the old mountain road to Elan Valley. On the last section of the climb I asked him if he wanted to stop for a breather, his reply was two words, first started with a P second with an O.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
flat tyre

Post by flat tyre »

I'm 63 and I retired about 18 months ago. Since then I'm doing about 150miles a week, I'd probably do more but I've got one or two other interests! In the last few weeks I've been out once a week with a local CTC group and we've done several 60 - 70 mile rides. I've been impressed with this group as most of them seem to be older than me and can move along at a fair old pace. Out on my own I think I've slowed down a bit from say 5 years ago. I've also got a bit more cautious, especially on fast descents as any injury could jeopardise my future cycling.
foxychick

Post by foxychick »

Bikepacker that is some mileage for your age i think you and your two buddies are bloody awesome well done.
Si

Post by Si »

I think it's a case of the American Fliers translation of " Res Firma Mitescere Nescit"

If you keep on riding you'll pretty much keep on riding. But if you stop for any reason then it can be damned hard to reattain the same level compared to when you were younger.

I think that my recent injury and illnesses demonstrate this....compared to 30 years ago it seems to have taken a hell of a lot more time to get back to anywhere near where I was....and I'd not yet class my self as entering the modern interpretation of old age by a long chalk!
hondated

Post by hondated »

bikepacker wrote:Just got in from a nice 30 mile ride and will probably do the same this afternoon. In just over a month I shall be 74 and think I am doing well by maintaining a target of 10.000 miles a year. I say think I am doing well because two of my cycling friends are both 5 years older than me and do as many miles. My bikes are all steel framed touring bikes and I believe using the heavier bike helps me keep a high level of fitness.

Last year while touring Wales with one of the above friends, he was 79 earlier this month, we climbed with a full camping load, from Aberystwyth via Devils Bridge up to The Arch on the old mountain road to Elan Valley. On the last section of the climb I asked him if he wanted to stop for a breather, his reply was two words, first started with a P second with an O.

As they say bikepacker chapeau 10,000 miles at 74 boy that is some target and I know its something I could never achieve. I sadly since Mike Halls death have been looking at a good view videos on endurance rides and I find it amazing how they race such long distances. For me just another wish I had done that moment.
hondated

Post by hondated »

foxychick wrote:Bikepacker that is some mileage for your age i think you and your two buddies are bloody awesome well done.

+1
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Thanks for the remarks. I shall be doing an Ireland tour with 'jags' of this forum next month, as he is younger than me I have to maintain fitness to keep up with him.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I will hit 69 in September. Just done a fairly brisk 25 miler with some descent climbs, I do this 3 times a week if the weather is ok. On Sunday I was out with the club for a 67 miler at a good old pace. Most of us are over 45 though. The odd time it is over 100 miles. I tour in Europe once a year and also do a Mallorca cycling holiday. Cycling is not all of me though as I get bored if I am out on the bike too much. I go to the gym for some weightraining and the odd swim about three times a week. Saturday I'm doing a Parkrun with one of my daughters. Plus I do pickup up the grandkids from school and walk them home a few times a week. Still got my Flippin belly though. It is my most loyal servant. No matter what I do, it will not leave me. :)
I need a lie down now. Busy life being retired.
A couple of years ago I was talking to three lovley cyclists at a cafe stop. The two ladies were in their 80s and the chap was 92.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I'm far too young to offer insight, but I'm noting a difference now between my current 49 and even 5 years ago. Still doing the distance, but journey times are up by about 20% in those years. By the time I'm 65 I will be going backwards.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
hondated

Post by hondated »

bigjim wrote:I will hit 69 in September. Just done a fairly brisk 25 miler with some descent climbs, I do this 3 times a week if the weather is ok. On Sunday I was out with the club for a 67 miler at a good old pace. Most of us are over 45 though. The odd time it is over 100 miles. I tour in Europe once a year and also do a Mallorca cycling holiday. Cycling is not all of me though as I get bored if I am out on the bike too much. I go to the gym for some weightraining and the odd swim about three times a week. Saturday I'm doing a Parkrun with one of my daughters. Plus I do pickup up the grandkids from school and walk them home a few times a week. Still got my Flippin belly though. It is my most loyal servant. No matter what I do, it will not leave me. :)
I need a lie down now. Busy life being retired.
A couple of years ago I was talking to three lovley cyclists at a cafe stop. The two ladies were in their 80s and the chap was 92.

Just seen this Jim your never going to get old doing all that.
Had an achievement myself this week, cycled to the café and avoided the cakes. Well its a start.
ebor62

Post by ebor62 »

Not quite in your age range, as only 72. Have cycled seriously for 56 years and still all original parts. I have noticed little difference in stamina, as I still regularly do 100 mile day rides for pleasure. However speed has dropped, as whilst my cadence is still the same, I have to use a lower gear. This loss of strength also affects me on hills, where I change onto the granny ring instead of powering up. When making efforts, I get out of breath quicker, probably due to a decreasing maximum heart rate. I have not suffered from any repetitive type, strains or pains and still average over 10,000 miles a year. When on a good road with a howling tail wind, I feel 16 again. Just carry on and enjoy it, as long as you can, keep your weight down and have extra recovery time.