Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

softlips
Posts: 95
Joined: 12 Dec 2016, 8:51pm

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby softlips » 21 Mar 2017, 10:05pm

mjr wrote:
softlips wrote:NICE BP measurement advice here https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg127/ ... d-pressure I've never known any GP or nurse do it by the book.

Take at least five measurements at various times during the day, discard the highest and lowest and look at what's left. Have you had a cardiac echo (ultrasound) to look at your ventricular wall thickness? Good idea particularly if you excercise a lot.

My wife's aunt's GP apparently does, but I've never seen a medic that does either (and I've seen quite a few over 30+ years of illness - but BP is only a complicating factor for me, not a primary one). I did once have a 24h BP monitor but the dratted thing felt like it wanted to break my arm when it tried to take a measurement while I was cycling!

How does one get a cardiac echo, why would one have it and what would they be looking for from wall thickness?


You'd need referring for one. If the patient does have hypertension the increased workload of the heart (to maintain this high pressure) causes the heart muscle to thicken like any other muscle. This conforms medication is required. Controlling the BP will reverse this thickening. The thicker muscle obviously will require an increased blood supply and is therefore more likely to infarct or induce arrhythmias.

User avatar
Spinners
Posts: 792
Joined: 6 Dec 2008, 6:58pm
Location: Port Talbot

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby Spinners » 17 Jun 2017, 8:06am

Spinners wrote:
Mick F wrote:
1st was Ramipril. After a couple of weeks, I was tired, achey, lethargic. It seems people were asking quietly to Mrs Mick F if I was ok and that I looked ill. I stopped taking them, and within 36 hours felt my normal chipper self and people remarked how well I looked.

2nd was Amlodipine. Again, after a couple of weeks ............ same symptoms, same remarks from folk, and same result when I stopped them.



I've been on those for just about 10 years now. I definitely had a bit of what you experienced but have stuck with them and generally feel that my HBP has improved - it needed to as I was showing some crazily high readings. There is a rarely a magic bullet but more likely a combo that will suit you better.


Sorry to quote my own post but I'm chuffed about my BP. Annual check-up yesterday and my BP was textbook 120/80. It's been a long road!

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 7272
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 17 Jun 2017, 9:25am

Hi,
Bad health seems to knock my BP, which as I get older happens about once a year.
So my BP is finally sort of normal after a bad back in early part of year.

I have a recurring problem that means that my BP drops after an exertion.
Did a 70 odd mile ride yester day not helped by the fact I lost two kgs, that's sort of percentage fluid loss will affect performance (1.6 kgs is borderline), at home my BP had dropped to 90 something over 60 odd.
Previously I had this problem which reduced me to a maximum 50 minute cycle ride.
Not sure its dehydration or BP?
Yesterday had plenty of energy but performance was not good, only solution to my problem will be to make sure I carry enough fluid to stay hydrated.
I am on one BP med, like to finally get off as all meds have side effects.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Cant Move On Till Then..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a hill...............Somewhere

User avatar
Spinners
Posts: 792
Joined: 6 Dec 2008, 6:58pm
Location: Port Talbot

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby Spinners » 17 Jun 2017, 3:39pm

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:
I am on one BP med, like to finally get off as all meds have side effects.


Yes, I agree. Realistically, I'll be on BP meds for life but will now try to go from 10mg to 5mg.

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 7272
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 17 Jun 2017, 4:13pm

Hi,
Ben on multi meds for 35 years, now on three but two are preventative so just one that I need.
You never quite know if you are suffering side effects, not knowing has a depressive effect.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Cant Move On Till Then..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a hill...............Somewhere

softlips
Posts: 95
Joined: 12 Dec 2016, 8:51pm

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby softlips » 18 Jun 2017, 11:02am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Bad health seems to knock my BP, which as I get older happens about once a year.
So my BP is finally sort of normal after a bad back in early part of year.

I have a recurring problem that means that my BP drops after an exertion.
Did a 70 odd mile ride yester day not helped by the fact I lost two kgs, that's sort of percentage fluid loss will affect performance (1.6 kgs is borderline), at home my BP had dropped to 90 something over 60 odd.
Previously I had this problem which reduced me to a maximum 50 minute cycle ride.
Not sure its dehydration or BP?
Yesterday had plenty of energy but performance was not good, only solution to my problem will be to make sure I carry enough fluid to stay hydrated.
I am on one BP med, like to finally get off as all meds have side effects.


Dehydration can lower your BP substantially.

User avatar
Vetus Ossa
Posts: 763
Joined: 22 Oct 2012, 7:32pm
Location: London, Paris, New York but mostly Plymouth.

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby Vetus Ossa » 19 Jun 2017, 10:53am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Ben on multi meds for 35 years, now on three but two are preventative so just one that I need.
You never quite know if you are suffering side effects, not knowing has a depressive effect.

Amen to that.

User avatar
Vetus Ossa
Posts: 763
Joined: 22 Oct 2012, 7:32pm
Location: London, Paris, New York but mostly Plymouth.

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby Vetus Ossa » 19 Jun 2017, 8:03pm

Had a call from someone at my surgery today saying my latest blood test shows my potassium levels are low, probably caused by the bendrofluazide I am taking and am to stop taking them immediately and make an appointment to see my doctor. The show goes on…

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 7272
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 20 Jun 2017, 4:35pm

Hi,
Vetus Ossa wrote:Had a call from someone at my surgery today saying my latest blood test shows my potassium levels are low, probably caused by the bendrofluazide I am taking and am to stop taking them immediately and make an appointment to see my doctor. The show goes on…


I think I already mentioned that I was on that for BP control, at the time doctor tested me and said that there was no chemical reason that I am feeling bad.
As my BP was dropping below 90 / 50 it was suggested that I stop taking them and my performance went back to normal, on the tabs about six years.
Five years seems to be where tablets start to affect me badly.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Cant Move On Till Then..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a hill...............Somewhere

notsoracy rich
Posts: 1
Joined: 7 Jul 2017, 4:38pm

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby notsoracy rich » 7 Jul 2017, 4:56pm

Well, I'll be blowed ! After having a stent fitted in a coronary artery 6 years ago , I have been on the NICE cocktail of drugs. As I probably had a silent heart attack (no symptoms) I have struggled to understand how everyone else leaving the heart ward felt great, whereas I felt worse than I did when I was admitted. The drugs were Ramipril, atorvastatin, a beta blocker, and aspirin. The heart surgeon confirmed I could return to competitive cycling, so I did. But I couldn't go as well, and took ages to recover, actually feeling 'washed out' for a week after racing. They took me off beta blockers, as my resting heart rate was going down to 38 ish, and a year ago after getting sick of the pains in my legs I stopped the statins.
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I forgot to take my Ramipril the day before a crit, and actually felt better, but couldn't be sure , so 2 days ago did the same, missed the Ramipril, following days crit still not brilliant but felt so much better.
Did a google on Ramipril and ended up here, so perhaps Ramipril is the next one to go. For the record I am 65, an active LVRC 'racer', BP measured at 122/72 at doctors.

ianrobo
Posts: 125
Joined: 12 Jan 2017, 9:52pm

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby ianrobo » 8 Jul 2017, 8:29pm

notsoracy rich wrote:Well, I'll be blowed ! After having a stent fitted in a coronary artery 6 years ago , I have been on the NICE cocktail of drugs. As I probably had a silent heart attack (no symptoms) I have struggled to understand how everyone else leaving the heart ward felt great, whereas I felt worse than I did when I was admitted. The drugs were Ramipril, atorvastatin, a beta blocker, and aspirin. The heart surgeon confirmed I could return to competitive cycling, so I did. But I couldn't go as well, and took ages to recover, actually feeling 'washed out' for a week after racing. They took me off beta blockers, as my resting heart rate was going down to 38 ish, and a year ago after getting sick of the pains in my legs I stopped the statins.
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, I forgot to take my Ramipril the day before a crit, and actually felt better, but couldn't be sure , so 2 days ago did the same, missed the Ramipril, following days crit still not brilliant but felt so much better.
Did a google on Ramipril and ended up here, so perhaps Ramipril is the next one to go. For the record I am 65, an active LVRC 'racer', BP measured at 122/72 at doctors.


If you BP is that reading, then that is normal, my last one 2 weeks ago 120/75 and why the need for meds ?

We have to start challenging Docs to justify and prove what they are doing.

Flinders
Posts: 2573
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 6:47pm

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby Flinders » 7 Aug 2017, 12:33pm

Some problems seem to do with how BP is taken.

I have to take mine at home, it goes up too much at the surgery for historic reasons. I've been doing this for years and it has always been fine. I know you have to sit down for at least five mins, relax, not cross your legs, must keep arm at right height resting on chair arm, not eat soon before, etc.

After a higher reading than usual last night, I started to wonder why, and in a subsequent web search, I found that you ought not to take a hot (or very cold) drink within half an hour before taking it, because that can make it go up, same with a glass of water. I was drinking a nice hot drink just before taking it.

I never knew that - nobody told me. Or that sitting with your back unsupported can put it up as well, which I also found out...........

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 7272
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 7 Aug 2017, 2:45pm

Hi,
Vetus Ossa wrote:Had a call from someone at my surgery today saying my latest blood test shows my potassium levels are low, probably caused by the bendrofluazide I am taking and am to stop taking them immediately and make an appointment to see my doctor. The show goes on…

When I was suffering greatly on bendrofluazide, my salt levels were tested and doc said no chemical reason why I was feeling bad (50 minutes ride then had to get off........normally 11 in 12 hrs would be easy) so as my BP was dropping to 90 / 50 (lowest) It was suggested to stop..........normal performance was resumed :)
I felt that I had become allergic to the drug)

Have since stopped rosuvastatin as my cholesterol was normal after 6 months abstinence .

I am suffering the same thing now and believe that its a med (lisinopril, bp med) again, marginal improvement with half dose but need to stop for my sanity, seeing doc soon and will discuss further, 12 hr indurance is pants :(
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Cant Move On Till Then..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a hill...............Somewhere

User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 7272
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 7 Aug 2017, 2:49pm

Hi,
Flinders wrote:Some problems seem to do with how BP is taken.

I have to take mine at home, it goes up too much at the surgery for historic reasons. I've been doing this for years and it has always been fine. I know you have to sit down for at least five mins, relax, not cross your legs, must keep arm at right height resting on chair arm, not eat soon before, etc.

After a higher reading than usual last night, I started to wonder why, and in a subsequent web search, I found that you ought not to take a hot (or very cold) drink within half an hour before taking it, because that can make it go up, same with a glass of water. I was drinking a nice hot drink just before taking it.

I never knew that - nobody told me. Or that sitting with your back unsupported can put it up as well, which I also found out...........

Yep, don't talk fart or visit toilet before or laugh or lift your arm :)
Seriously, sit on couch and relax.
Priority Is Still 500K In 24......Cant Move On Till Then..............Stay Focused Guys And Keep Sharp.....
You'll Find Me At The Top Of a hill...............Somewhere

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 38789
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Blood Pressure Medication - side effects

Postby Mick F » 7 Aug 2017, 3:08pm

Yes, relax etc .............
.................. but does this actually mean anything at all?

BP is BP, and it goes up and it goes down, all naturally and normally.
Which figure is correct?
Relaxed, or peak, or mean, or average, or normal, or what?

If it's peak, and that peak is high, it means that if you're going to have a problem, it will be when it's at peak ................ not when you're relaxed.
Mick F. Cornwall


Return to “Health and fitness”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests