Not tried it yet
2%
No opinion / what is porridge?
2%

Total votes: 46

Cugel

Re: Porridge: love or hate?

Postby Cugel » 7 Nov 2019, 10:44pm

ambodach wrote:Never use rolled oats. Pinhead oatmeal is the real deal.

The pinhead oatmeal has been recommended to me but the recommender also opined that it needs to be soaked for 24 hours to be reet. Wot, plan breakfast 24 hours in advance!? I can barely plan 5 minutes ahead and even then things go wrong.

Of course, I never have to plan breakfast anyway, as the ladywife spoils me by doing it. Tomorrow she plans to give me one boiled egg instead of two as the latest eggs from Len the Fish (yes, I know) are ginormous. The hens must be as big as eagles! They are free range (very free, apparently) so might call 'round demanding their eggs back with menaces.

I was once chased about by aggressive chickens at that Chatsworth Hoose, you know. Them chickens there are adept at mugging children for their biscuits. They are those ones with big fluffy trouser legs (the chickens, not the children) which seem to be the chicken equivalent of drainpipe trousers and beetle crushers.

Cugel

CX-3

Postby CX-3 » 8 Nov 2019, 7:12am

Just had mine. Very nice.

ambodach

Postby ambodach » 9 Nov 2019, 2:21pm

There is no need to soak oatmeal overnight. Better just used as is when it has a better texture. Just a pinch of salt needed but have got by without any and certainly no horrors like sugar or other additives. Just eat with milk which is best creamy but again have managed ok when there was none available.

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 11 Nov 2019, 2:13pm

I had some porridge left over so thought I would try my visiting squirrel on it. It seemed to like it gobbling some of it down

Mike Sales

Postby Mike Sales » 11 Nov 2019, 2:23pm

mercalia wrote:I had some porridge left over so thought I would try my visiting squirrel on it. It seemed to like it gobbling some of it down

I had a cat which liked porridge. She came running when she heard me scrape the pan.

brynpoeth

Postby brynpoeth » 12 Nov 2019, 7:06am

Even with just oats and water there are so many different ways to make porridge
I use coarse oats, a bit of fine oats, a bit of oatmeal, not too much water
No need to make it the night before but it does need to be stirred
Entertainer, kidult, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Spinners

Postby Spinners » 12 Nov 2019, 7:44am

I've recently fallen under the spell of this glutenous delight. I don't weigh or measure apart from using a small tumbler with a 2:5 ratio of porridge to whole milk and a spoonful of honey - all cooked on the hob (lowest gas on the smallest ring) for about 25 minutes. Very filling.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)