Urinary Tract Infections

kazzabezz

Urinary Tract Infections

Postby kazzabezz » 16 Sep 2020, 8:09pm

I am 60 this year, and it had been 25 years since I rode a bicycle. So I decided the time had come to have another go!

I decided on an e-bike, and its a beauty - I went for a Kalkhoff Endeavour. Had loads of fun going out and whizzing round the streets of Shropshire on my battery bike, and it was lovely seeing what was down the narrow country lanes we had always avoided in the car. We were going out regularly at least 2 or 3 times a week at first.

Then one week we went out twice on two consecutive days - and I ended up with a UTI (that's a urinary tract infection)! I was surprised and disappointed, as this was something I had had maybe once in my 59 years! So I went online to check out whether this had happened due to the bike, and, hey-presto - women can be prone to getting these from cycling! I asked the doctor for some advice about this and she said its caused when going on longer bike rides and is caused due to the pressure and friction in the saddle. She said she could give me some antibiotics and explained that some women are susceptible to getting these infections from cycling, and that although its quite a common problem she assured me it shouldn't be a recurring problem and I should definitely not give up cycling.

Does anyone else suffer from these through cycling and how have they overcome it?

Jdsk

Re: Urinary Tract Infections

Postby Jdsk » 16 Sep 2020, 8:36pm

Welcome.

Yes, this is common.

I'd look at it with this sort of structure:

1 Great advice from your GP: keep cycling.

2 General advice on avoiding UTIs, start with the NHS article:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/urinary-tract-infections-utis/

3 Things specific to cycling:
3.1 Keeping fluid intake high to keep urine production high. As in the general advice but more so because of the exercise and being away from home.
3.2 Sitting on the saddle. For UTIs, comfort and frank trauma different saddles suit different women. There are strongly held views on different designs but I'm not convinced that the effects are predictable. That leaves trial and error.

4 Getting help from others, which is what you asked. Excellent idea, and I'll have a look if there's a relevant self-help group.

Jonathan (male)

Jdsk

Re: Urinary Tract Infections

Postby Jdsk » 17 Sep 2020, 11:37am

I tried a few different sources but couldn't find a relevant self-help group.

Jonathan