Keeled over walking dog

Vorpal

Re: Keeled over walking dog

Post by Vorpal »

You hadn't recently inhaled any fumes, had you? viewtopic.php?f=5&t=146363
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

I was diagnosed with low blood pressure - went to the docs after collapsing one night; after a big meal I usually lie on floor in front of fire and watch tele, when standing up from this I often get very light headed, used to fight it and one evening totally blacked out and collapsed, wife reckons I was out for over a minute and phoned an ambulance!

Doctors advice was to stand up more slowly, and said it wasn't a 'red light' thing unless it happened when active, in which case I must seek immediate medical attention. So that is my advice the OP - get in touch with your doctor today

I did pursue the matter further and was diagnosed with mild low blood pressure and to carry on as normal. Doctor did say in a very sarcastic manner (which I thought was utterly bizarre) "May be its because you're so fit" seriously, do fit people normally fall over when they stand up ? it's a new one on me.

Have a monitor and occasionally have a peep - currently 95/62 at 51 pulse
it always hangs round these low numbers, wish it didn't. Would giving up cycling and drinking more cure it ?
Last edited by Pebble on 15 Jun 2021, 3:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

I often feel faint after standing up. I have phases of it where I almost always feel dizzy after rising when at home but not often when in the office at work - perhaps because I’m typically rising from a lower position at home. I usually have to lean on something or bend over when it happens but luckily I’ve never had an accident.

I’m not currently going through a phase. I’ve never sought GP advice for it, but then I don’t tend to for most things. :oops:

I own a BP monitor which typically indicates I’m at the low end of normal.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Pebble wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 2:41pm Doctor did say in a very sarcastic manner (which I thought was utterly bizarre) "May be its because you're so fit" seriously, do fit people normally fall over when they stand up ?
Yes :D
The more cycling I do the more prone I am to having to hang onto something usually one or two steps after rising.
Doctor told me it’s Bradycardia and, yes because I was fitter than Mr average.
Iron man and hill running neighbour suffers from it too.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Another +1 for contacting your doctor from me. It happened to me last year during the first lockdown and the GPs didn't even quibble, got me in for set of checks straight away.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
So what's the cure for low blood pressure?
I mean whats the cure / advice / treatment if you are feeling faint / passing out?

If I put my head down when I cycle I get a headache..................................................GP...dont put your head down............. :P
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 3:33pmSo what's the cure for low blood pressure?
Salt?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I mean whats the cure / advice / treatment if you are feeling faint / passing out?
The following is NOT aimed at the OPs' condition.

As with much of the discussion above this question mixes up findings and effects with causes. There are many different causes of fainting and passing out, and there are many different causes of low blood pressure. It's futile and potentially dangerous to recommend treatment without working out why it's happening.

Here's the NHS advice on fainting, including when to seek medical advice:
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/fainting/

It ought to include avoiding damage to oneself and others, eg by using roads or machinery. I'll tell them.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 15 Jun 2021, 4:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 3:33pm Hi,

If I put my head down when I cycle I get a headache..................................................GP...dont put your head down............. :P
Went to the doctors many years ago with a shoulder problem, I demonstrated a movement to him and said to him "when I do this I get a horrible pain" he just looked at me in disbelief and said "well don't do that"

as to cure low blood pressure - think you can get tablets to raise it but don't think there is a fix.
or just drink lots of beer....

and YES, doctor did say add a little salt to my water when cycling, help raise the electrolyte? (i do this anyway in warm weather to avoid cramps)
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I believe there's merit in using salt/electrolyte - for a number of years I've 'suffered' slightly a few hours after riding if getting up quickly (but only after several hours in the saddle). Occasional cramps in the legs have hit me in the last few miles of a long ride in hot weather, so I've carried electrolyte tablets to add to my water before my return trip home. No more cramps, and stronger on the last 10 miles as well, and reduced occurrence of the 'dizzies' afterwards. But please don't take 'fastpedaller advice' OP, do as others have suggested and see your GP. I don't know if my GP practice is typical, but the service during this pandemic period has been far better than usual, with a 2 week wait (I call it the 'get well or die appointment) reduced to same day or even same hour!
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

fastpedaller wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 6:59pm I believe there's merit in using salt/electrolyte - for a number of years I've 'suffered' slightly a few hours after riding if getting up quickly (but only after several hours in the saddle). Occasional cramps in the legs have hit me in the last few miles of a long ride in hot weather, so I've carried electrolyte tablets to add to my water before my return trip home. No more cramps, and stronger on the last 10 miles as well, and reduced occurrence of the 'dizzies' afterwards. But please don't take 'fastpedaller advice' OP, do as others have suggested and see your GP. I don't know if my GP practice is typical, but the service during this pandemic period has been far better than usual, with a 2 week wait (I call it the 'get well or die appointment) reduced to same day or even same hour!
So that's what's been causing cramps at night after a long ride.
I am here. Where are you?
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Pebble wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 3:44pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 15 Jun 2021, 3:33pm Hi,

Went to the doctors many years ago with a shoulder problem, I demonstrated a movement to him and said to him "when I do this I get a horrible pain" he just looked at me in disbelief and said "well don't do that"
My son when to the GP because he regularly feels faint if he stands up quickly. The GP's advise was to stand up slowly.
Richard M
Cardiff
GayUnicorn

Post by GayUnicorn »

Hi all, so far spoken doctor on phone and there is talk of a blood test and review of some of the medication be as possible that this is affecting it.

Definitely not into recreational items other than small bottles of beer over 4 hours,
Paint strippers not been near them
Today it's 54 beats
97-98 O2

Also missed some age related screening so they said due to current events.

Thanks for help- as there was a niggling feeling that the doctors wouldn't listen and took a while to call them.