Laser eye surgery

Hellhound

Re: Laser eye surgery

Post by Hellhound »

richardfm wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 4:41pm They did suggest corneal implants, but I have stuck with glasses.
That is another option which apparently is a permanent fix ie your eyes never deteriorate and it stops the need for reading glasses.
About £3K per eye.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Hellhound wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 7:01pm
richardfm wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 4:41pm They did suggest corneal implants, but I have stuck with glasses.
That is another option which apparently is a permanent fix ie your eyes never deteriorate and it stops the need for reading glasses.
About £3K per eye.
And no cataracts when you get old
Richard M
Cardiff
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

richardfm wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 7:20pm
About £3K per eye.
I don't understand that... is the lens always removed?

Thanks

Jonathan
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 7:29pm
About £3K per eye.

Thanks

Jonathan
When it was offered to me they said it is like a cataract operation, they make an incision, remove the lens and then insert a new one.
Richard M
Cardiff
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks.

I can't make out if that's always included.

Jonathan
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 1:32pm
fastpedaller wrote: 20 Jun 2021, 10:36pmSmall fry (no pun intended) compared to surgery which I had for detatched retinas 27 years ago........ The examination before surgery was in a dark room with a 'car headlight' (I could feel the heat!) shining into my eye whilst the consultant put a 3 inch 'thimble' between my eyeball and its socket - the discomfort cannot be described. This was followed later in the day by a 3.5 hr operation involving cryosurgery (liquid nitrogen injected into the eye to float the retina into position and freeze-burn it into place) and an elastan band around the eye and a gold clamp. I don't know how the clamp 'works' but there is a tiny, visible gold 'stud' on the white of my eye. The next day they did my other eye!(but no clamp). There then followed 3 months of no glasses so the eyes could 'settle' during which I could only see the first 2 inches in focus. More recently I tried to understand full details of what they'd done, but it would appear it's not on my records - maybe best that they concentrated on the operation rather than writing notes :D I have no doubt the surgeons saved my eyesight, and the NHS is a fantastic organisation - it was a very humbling experience.
I think that what you're describing is "scleral buckling". I suggest that you pursue your enquiries into what was done, and what metal is still there. That's because it might affect future investigation with MRI, and it wouldn't be great to have to work that out in a rush.

Jonathan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scleral_buckle
I guess you have knowledge of the procedure. It was indeed, the suggestion of an MRI that led me to make enquiries. About 10 yearsago I was having terrible vertigo, so MRI was suggested. I queried whether it would be advisable, and the consultant couldn't give an answer. I was referred to the MRI machine manufacturer who said "I think that'll be ok" - ask your consultant. In the end a CT scan? was done, and nothing abnormal found. The cause of my vertigo was diagnosed correctly (after over a year to-and-from to Gp and Hospital) by a private nutritionist who within minutes told me to come off milk as she thought it was lactose intollerance. All good now. I'll try and pursue the medical notes, but hold out little hope.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

About £3K per eye.

Thanks

Jonathan
All information on both Laser eye and lens replacement surgery here:-
https://www.opticalexpress.co.uk/laser-eye-surgery
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Hellhound wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 7:19pm
richardfm wrote: 21 Jun 2021, 7:20pm And no cataracts when you get old
Those quotes are about corneal implants. Does that site say anything about when the lens is replaced as part of that procedure, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 7:22pm
Hellhound wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 7:19pm
Those quotes are about corneal implants. Does that site say anything about when the lens is replaced as part of that procedure, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Sorry I wasn't talking about Corneal implants just lens replacement.IE an incision is made on the eye,lens removed new lens fitted.
Last edited by Hellhound on 22 Jun 2021, 7:29pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes.

The context often disappears as the depth of quotes increases! : - )

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I've just had my Laser eye surgery consultation.
So I am not suitable for Laser surgery, but am for Refractive Lens Exchange(RFE).This will give me 20/20 vision that won't deteriorate.Unfortunately due to my eye condition,possibly due to operations in childhood(1970s) I am only suitable to have Monofocal lenses implanted so I would still need reading glasses.This is not what I wanted but better than what I have.My prescription has changed and it's less than a year since my last test!

The total cost is £6471 with a 10% discount.Both eyes done together in around half an hour.
I am booked in to have the procedure done on 30th July.
For me it's a no-brainer but that figure would possibly put some people off!
Last edited by Hellhound on 23 Jun 2021, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Is that Reflective or Refractive Lens Exchange?

Thanks

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Sorry my bad Refractive!

My eyes are still a bit blurry from the drops :lol:

Now edited to read correctly!
Last edited by Hellhound on 23 Jun 2021, 2:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

$ - )

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Ah the curse of Covid.
My procedure has been postponed :roll: The Surgeon is isolating so all his bookings are postponed.
It's likely that it will be in September now,I'm just waiting on the dates for them to be made available.Nay mind,good things come to those who wait :)