Exercise and Covid

TrevA

Exercise and Covid

Post by TrevA »

A recent study published in the BMJ demonstrates that those who do little or no exercise are at higher risk of hospitalisation and death as a result of a Covid infection. So Exercising consistently for 150 minutes a week seems to protect you from the worst effects of Covid.

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2021 ... 021-104080
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Jdsk

Re: Exercise and Covid

Post by Jdsk »

A protective effect is very likely.

I've only read it once, but the study design doesn't seem to exclude an alternative explanation, as the authors put it:

Importantly, because this is an observational study, it is not possible to definitively conclude PA is causally related to less severe COVID-19 outcomes. These associations could potentially be in reverse; that is, those who have more significant underlying illness may be less likely to include PA in their daily routine or lack the capacity to do so.

And this is also picked up in the first linked response.

A protective effect is very likely.

Jonathan
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

General health benefits of exercise, a review of 152 references:
http://www.cmaj.ca/content/174/6/801.full.pdf+html

Getting no exercise is roughly equivalent to smoking.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

I can get up and feel a bit meh or lethargic but intstantly feel better once exercising be it gym,cycling,running or just a brisk walk with a very energetic dog 8)
I've often wondered if it's partly psychological.Whatever it is I know that I am very rarely ill.I have had a very mild case of covid but generally I'm OK.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Hellhound wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 12:27pm I can get up and feel a bit meh or lethargic but intstantly feel better once exercising be it gym,cycling,running or just a brisk walk with a very energetic dog
I've often wondered if it's partly psychological.
You're not alone.

But what could "feeling better" be other than "psychological"?

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Jdsk wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 12:36pm
Hellhound wrote: 23 Jul 2021, 12:27pm I can get up and feel a bit meh or lethargic but intstantly feel better once exercising be it gym,cycling,running or just a brisk walk with a very energetic dog
I've often wondered if it's partly psychological.
You're not alone.

But what could "feeling better" be other than "psychological"?

Jonathan
Good point!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

: - )

And it works both within the range of wellbeing and in frank mental health problems.

Expect to see a lot more on "social prescribing" RSN.

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Hold the front page!

In general, being physically fit helps combat ill health and exercise generally improves physical fitness. Up next, over-exertion can be fatal, especially for anyone not used to exercise.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

It's really helpful to have new studies performed and published, even when we think that we know the answer.

There's usually more to find out about size of effect, effects on subgroups, etc. And it's all on a background of other risk factors that don't stay constant.

One interesting example that's highly relevant is the protective effect of quite small amounts of low-intensity exercise. There would be big effects on the population's health If that influenced both individual behaviour and public policy. And it's a message that won't be promoted by commercial organisations because it doesn't involve selling anything.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

New studies are also important in another way: they can draw attention to things that matter, even when they're already known. It's much easier to get eg a health journalist's attention with the hook of something new.

Which is why this thread exists. : - )

Jonathan
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

There is certainly a J shaped curved when it comes to exercise and respiratory infections. Studies on immune system function and lifelong exercise also show it preserves immune function.