Is is cycling fitness so different to running?

gerybecke64

Is is cycling fitness so different to running?

Post by gerybecke64 »

I cycle with a friend of mine a lot, and we're pretty dead even when it comes to riding. However he just randomly decided to go for a run, which is not something he does regularly, and he was waaaaay faster than anything I could do.

What could be the reason for this? It's seems like both cycling and running work similar areas, so why is he so different?

Maybe this belongs in ask science or something?
mumbojumbo

Re: Is is cycling fitness so different to running?

Post by mumbojumbo »

Probably runs faster due to superior physique.Imagine Chris Hoy and Mow Farrel going for a ride of 20 miles and then a foot race of 800 metres. I doubt Hoy could run beyond this poultry distance given his statuesque build!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gerybecke64 wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 2:29am I cycle with a friend of mine a lot, and we're pretty dead even when it comes to riding. However he just randomly decided to go for a run, which is not something he does regularly, and he was waaaaay faster than anything I could do.

What could be the reason for this? It's seems like both cycling and running work similar areas, so why is he so different?
How near to flat out do you cycle?

Jonathan
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

What I don't get is why, even when I've been at my fittest as a cyclist and can cycle over a hundred miles, I struggle to run further than a mile (or, at least, I'm sure I could but it feels horrible so I'd rather not!).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

What limits your running... leg tiredness, leg pain, shortness of breath... ?

Jonathan
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 5:17pm What limits your running... leg tiredness, leg pain, shortness of breath... ?

Jonathan
I know you're not addressing that at me Jonathan but in my case I think I just prefer the leg tiredness, pain and shortness of breath I suffer on the bike! :lol:
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I really was!
kylecycler wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 5:09pm What I don't get is why, even when I've been at my fittest as a cyclist and can cycle over a hundred miles, I struggle to run further than a mile (or, at least, I'm sure I could but it feels horrible so I'd rather not!).
: - )

Jonathan
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

gerybecke64 wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 2:29am I cycle with a friend of mine a lot, and we're pretty dead even when it comes to riding. However he just randomly decided to go for a run, which is not something he does regularly, and he was waaaaay faster than anything I could do.

Maybe this belongs in ask science or something?showbox speed test
Could be ....because he,s a better runner?Ditto any other given activity where you,ll be either better or worse.You,re born with a certain potential,which can be maximised by training.I was a runner and trained every day ,wrung everything out and was happy with what I achieved but knew fairly early on that I would never run faster than 5.5min/per mile over distance.Guys heavier than me would leave me for dead ,physique has little to do with it except at the sharp end where 99% of men were sub 10st.Same with cycling,no real talent but passable ,more "fun and fitness" rather than "training" for competition.Silk purse and cow,s ear come to mind.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Maybe this belongs in ask science or something?showbox speed test
It's an interesting question. My brother & I both cycle, me more than him. On the few sportives we have both ridden, I have been a sizeable margin faster. Conversely, we both also run. I am happy with a moderate paced 4-5 miles around my park & the idea of going more than 10 miles seems fantasy. My brother conversely enters ultra marathon (up to 100 miles) and generally holds the age speed records for shorter distances in his local running club.

I am not sure that it's possible to generalise from this, but I think running & cycling are quite different in how you respond physiologically. Why, I have no idea but maybe it's the way that cycling offers micro-rests, those 1-2 seconds that you can ease off. Running, conversely, offers none. You are either running or you are walking/stopped. For me, micro-rests while cycling recharge me, ready for another effort.
geomannie
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

If I've been particularly poor at the running/walking I find some of the major muscles that go are the ones down the sides of the lower leg that are used to stabilise the foot laterally. Which makes sense as these aren't really used much cycling.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

geomannie wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 9:10am
It's an interesting question. My brother & I both cycle, me more than him. On the few sportives we have both ridden, I have been a sizeable margin faster. Conversely, we both also run. I am happy with a moderate paced 4-5 miles around my park & the idea of going more than 10 miles seems fantasy. My brother conversely enters ultra marathon (up to 100 miles) and generally holds the age speed records for shorter distances in his local running club.

I am not sure that it's possible to generalise from this, but I think running & cycling are quite different in how you respond physiologically. Why, I have no idea but maybe it's the way that cycling offers micro-rests, those 1-2 seconds that you can ease off. Running, conversely, offers none. You are either running or you are walking/stopped. For me, micro-rests while cycling recharge me, ready for another effort.
Doesn't seem odd:
- you ride more, so you're faster on the bike.
- He chooses to do long runs, so he does longer runs!
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

mattheus wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 2:43pm
geomannie wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 9:10am

Doesn't seem odd:
- you ride more, so you're faster on the bike.
- He chooses to do long runs, so he does longer runs!
Point is, we are both fit but the fitness expresses itself in different ways. Exploring the differences was the essence of the OP's question

Additionally, its way more than just personal choices. I would love to run longer distances; I have tried but simply cannot. My body doesn't do that. Cycling, no problems.
geomannie
JohnI

Post by JohnI »

I started off as a runner but switched to doing triathlons in order to help prevent injuries. I fell in love with cycling, but for some reason I've never been very good at it: I was doing more cycling than running, but it was always my worst leg of a triathlon. The only explanation I can come up with is that I'm fairly slight in build and don't seem to have the leg strength to generate much power on the bike (it does use different muscles to running). As you'd expect I'm not quite as bad when climbing, especially if I get out of the saddle and almost 'run' up the hill!
pq

Post by pq »

I'm a much better runner than I am a cyclist which is a shame becasue I hate running and love cycling. It means although I very rarely run, I can go quite a long way at a good pace without too much bother, but if I do I can barely move the next day - it obviously uses different muscles. What I'm most aware of is the muscle which swings my leg forwards - that seems not to get used on the bike.
One link to your website is enough. G
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

For those of you that don't mind wasting their time replying to this sort of 'fire and forget' poster, you ought to be aware that, in this case, the OP has no interest in cycling, and is a spammer, scammer or hacker - probably a bot.