Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

uppadine

Re: Cycling after Prostatectomy or brachytherapy

Post by uppadine »

Both replies are uplifting, even if I do have a worse condition. I can't go a minute without dripping! Even after the bath I have to be careful while getting dry.
Years ago I would have been appalled at this, but the great thing about humans is that we accommodate to adversity and work round it if we can. So I don't mind who knows, and even if it means coping with something socislly awkward, it's just a mechanical issue, and not a moral failing.
Thanks both of you. I'm sure you'll agree that just knowing there are others in this silly boat is very helpful.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

It's always good to know others suffer the same issues and can cope. You are coping remarkably well.
I too would have been appalled to suffer incontinence at any level, but I have learnt to cope. I usual find I'm fairly dry except when I have alcohol, when leaking is inevitable after the first toilet visit of a session of alcohol intake. A pattern has developed though; the bad days when I leak most usually follow the weekend when I have a bottle of wine (occasionally more!) on Friday and Saturday nights, sometimes Sundays too. Monday to Wednesday I leak a lot more than I do on Thursday and Friday. I'm often totally dry on the latter.
My daughter, who is a gynaecologist (similar mechanics, different exit design), has suggested that I go teetotal for a few months to see if not having the constant failure caused by drinking regularly has an overall positive effect. She has also suggested I lose around 30lbs in weight to ease the strain on the pelvic floor.
I'm going to go down that route and yesterday I ordered a Peleton bike to ensure I get daily exercise during the dark nights and winter weather. I'm also going on a strict diet as of Monday, as teetotal as I can muster until at least Christmas and we shall see what happens

Watch this space!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Being an alcoholic who has not had ANY alcohol for over 18 years and has a BMI sub-20 I cannot comment on your proposed regime, but great that you remain so determined.
Overnight is my main problem - rarely get more than 2 hours uninterrupted sleep - and the first few hours after I get up - need the loo at least every 20 minutes. Restricts riding to solo and rules out a lot of holiday travel.
But relatively small beer (!) problems compared with many C patients.
Illness puts lots of things "in perspective"!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

A sort of conclusion, just in case anyone in similar circumstances. First "review" (phone) yesterday. PSA 0.14, "very good". Hormone injections to continue, 1/4ly for 3 years. PSA levels to be taken every 6 months.
Urinary problems largely unchanged, but then not directly caused by the cancerous cells. I occasionally get up to 4 hours uninterrupted sleep.
My Consultant (he phoned in person!) said that it would be last time we spoke, all gone so well that passing me on to GP (and that does worry me).
So, annoying symptoms remain, but combination of hormone treatment and ert, warranted by Gleason score of 9, appears to being "successful". Will know when not when spreads elsewhere!
For now I can live with the risk of being busted for weeing by the roadside on my continuing daily rides!
I judged my Consultant sound and am glad I followed his proposed course of treatment.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the update.

Good to hear that you're out every day.

Jonathan
ken66

Post by ken66 »

I had my RT sessions during March 2020 following diagnosis with a Gleason score of 7 (3+4). My HT continued for a further 6 months after RT & in April this year my psa was 0.7 It was unchanged at 0.7 in September. I mentioned to my consultant that this figure seemed high to me compared to other men at a similar stage. His reply was that no 2 men are the same & we all have different size prostates. He also discharged me to the hospital’s remote monitoring service. I’m not bothered by this as the consultant service has been remote as a result of the pandemic. If I have any problems or major concerns I will shout from the rooftop! I usually get up once in the night for a wee but this mainly due to my disturbed sleep pattern, I have no issues during the day. Good luck to you (& to me too!)
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

"Good luck to you (& to me too!)"

Reciprocated! My next hormone injection next week, I do seem to get very mild hot flush side effects for the first few days thereafter, but I can live with that!
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

dj, It's good to hear that you have made major strides forward after being in such a bad place only a few months ago. Well done and long may it continue.

I've personally made a slow and steady improvement. I didn't completely quit alcohol but I've seriously curtailed it and over the past 8 weeks I've lost 11lbs in weight. It's been extremely difficult to do as I now take Bisoprolol which appears to have slowed everything down by about 20%, despite my being on only a tiny dose. I've done about 45 minutes a day on the Peloton, churning out an average (now) of about 150 watts, up from 120 when I first got it 5 weeks ago so I'm feeling pretty good

I've kept a gant chart to record my continence progress. I'm not obsessed but it's a scientific way of tracking it. For the last month or so I've been more or less dry apart from the odd day and even if I do drink alcohol I'm not immediately leaking so it's good. I was told it could take anything up to a year to achieve full continence and I'm now 38 weeks or 73% down that road so I'm well pleased!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

@saudidave, well done on the alcohol/weight issue. (Even after approaching 19 years dry, Xmas is a danger zone for me.)
My exercise regime is more related to my need to keep COPD at bay for as long as possible, which I measure by simple "miles" - at present a race to hit my target to have averaged 500 a month over the year. My ERT knocked a hole in that but I should just about make it.
Great that you have persevered in the face of early major set backs and disappointments - your determination is pretty remarkable. Respect and best wishes for continuing improvements.
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

@dj, your determination far out weighs mine. 19 years without a drink? I once did 16 weeks in 1982 when working in Saudi but cracked on the plane home when we left Saudi airspace and the drinks trolley came round. Other than that there was a month around 1990 and 7 weeks in March/April of this year when I was recovering from a radical prostatectomy, an emergency laparotomy 36 hours later, followed by 48 hours in a medically induced coma. Other than that it's the occasional two weeks here and there but usually one!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Began with a simple choice - stop or die, SOON. I know from previous failed attempts that 1 gin today would be a bottle within a week or 2. It's the fear of having to go through quitting again that keeps me sober.
At least 2 doctors and a few nurses have said "just 1 or 2 drinks won't hurt now..." Alcoholics know different!
And yes I still want a drink, no longer 24 hours a day, but whenever I feel challenged - like facing C treatment!
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

Update:

Prior to my op my PSA reading was over 10 and 3 months after the OP it was 0.1. It's now 9 months after the op and it's <0.1
The cancer is gone and I need no further treatment, so it's the best Xmas present I can imagine.

All the best to everyone for Xmas and the New Year
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

saudidave wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 5:57pm Update:

Prior to my op my PSA reading was over 10 and 3 months after the OP it was 0.1. It's now 9 months after the op and it's <0.1
The cancer is gone and I need no further treatment, so it's the best Xmas present I can imagine.

Best wishes for a good Christmas etc to go with the good news!

(My psa topped at 18, 0.14 at 4 months after radiotherapy. I hope my trajectory follows yours!)
saudidave

Post by saudidave »

djnotts wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 7:21pm
saudidave wrote: 23 Dec 2021, 5:57pm Update:

Prior to my op my PSA reading was over 10 and 3 months after the OP it was 0.01. It's now 9 months after the op and it's <0.01

Best wishes for a good Christmas etc to go with the good news!

(My psa topped at 18, 0.14 at 4 months after radiotherapy. I hope my trajectory follows yours!)
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Well, I finished the year on 6,117 miles, nearly 90% real, OTR, rest stationary, mostly dictated by fitting exercise around hospital treatment etc. Only 26 inactive days (post-biopsy and on holiday!).
Far from record breaking, but not too shabby and pleasing enough for me given age and all the circumstances.
Luck and determination the key!