Painfull feet

martinn

Painfull feet

Post by martinn »

Hi all did my first 200k yesterday, the last 10k were the worst! The bottom of my feet became really sore, and I don't think I could have ridden much more. Any ideas how to fix this?
I use bont riot shoes, and speedplay light action pedals, both of which are around a year old and have done around 5k miles
Many thanks
Martin
Swallow

Re: Painfull feet

Post by Swallow »

Sounds like what is commonly called hot foot. If you Google Cyclists hot foot you will get some great info
'Kernow bys Vyken'
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

the Speedplays don't give a particularly wide contact area either which could contribute.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Strangely, loosening your shoe straps/laces may do the trick.
martinn

Post by martinn »

Thanks for the thoughts, I get hot foot anyway, this was different,. I had my straps loose, this was more the sole/ball of the foot.
My thoughts were either contact of pedal was too small, or the sole of the shoe was not rigid enough, or the padding between the shoe and foot was not enough ( is the sock and the inner)
Martin
pga

Post by pga »

In common with Tour de France winner Greg Lemond I used to get hot foot problems. Don't know why I get them no more.
I do not do the miles I once did but improved shoes and clipless pedals have helped. The shoes have to be big enough to accomodate the feet spreading as the day progresses, especially in hot weather. Good insoles help. One other tip - always buy Shimano shoes at the end of the day and a size bigger than normal.
TrekMad

Post by TrekMad »

I've only ever had painful, hot feet with shoes that aretoo narrow . I've been using Mavic shoes exclusively over the past few years and I have to say that they are incredibly comfortable.