Recovery from knee arthroscopy

Justin

Re: Recovery from knee arthroscopy

Post by Justin »

I had a knee anthroscopy on September 8th. I was driving again within a few days. I waited nine days before trying a short 3.5 mile cycle ride, no problem. Two days later I upped the distance to 15 miles and all was well. Less that two weeks after the operation I was walking very briskly for 6.5 miles most days and distance on bike is now up to 25 miles and riding hard 8) , knee feels fine and I feel I could happily double that distance. Waiting to see consultant in a weeks time and I'm hoping I'll get the go ahead to start running again.
I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of any discomfort following the operation and how quickly I was able to get out and about again. When I began walking daily after the operation I phoned the hospital and asked if it was safe to do so and they said it's fine to walk and cycle if it's not causing any pain, swelling, etc.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I ended up the same. A day or so taking it easy but it.just seemed I was ok after 1day. I'm 2 weeks out and stitches out, a little swollen around where the stitches were but ok.

I'm not driving because I was.warned that my insurer might insist on.4 weeks for knee surgery. Also I don't.want to.risk damage since I've a heavy clutch and it's my clutch leg that was operated.on.

I went to gp after a really bad spell of pain. I got xrays but they only show hard structures clear enough. You need an mri. I got my head first gp appointment about April but I got.the first cancelled surgery.date in September.but got the actual surgery done two weeks ago. Walking hour later, stairs same day and work within a week. Took a few days off plus weekend because without the car or bike I had to walk up and down a few hills for over 15 minutes.

Symptoms? I had pain coming and going in spells. Cycling.helped, walking and getting in/out of cars did not. Knee clicked a bit more than normal and about 5 years ago it locked up while bent. I had to use my.hands to straighten my leg. That happened 3 times before I learnt to sleep with my leg out straight.

I believe I could have done the damage with a twist movement while climbing at.the local climbing wall. That was only.a guess based as I looked back at potential causes.

Ask for an mri scan, that's.the only way.to see soft tissue damage.
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

about 3 days of soreness, and also about 3 days of sluggishness due to the anaesthetic and general shock to the body of being prodded and poked about!
Not a bad experience, more a relief to get it all done.

One thing I would add to the conversation is if you were a runner you might need to switch running styles to a more forefoot style. If you lose any cartilage then heel striking will leave you feeling like the bones are being pressed together. Forefoot will alleviate this but your calves will get sore as they learn to compensate to start with.

Likewise if you're reliant on turning big gears when you're climbing on the bike then you might get the same arthritic response, you'll soon learn to twiddle more or stick a lower front chainring on if needed.

Good luck, you'll no doubt be pleased to get it all done.