disapointment with insusance co.

newbootclimbco

disapointment with insusance co.

Post by newbootclimbco »

I'm not sure if i'm in the right place or not but here goes. I'd planned this trip for months ,even asked fellow members on routes etc. The tour from Wimborne, ferry to France then up through Belguim to Hook of Holland, ferry back to Harwich,Brighton, home. Only 5 days in and a simple task of removing my bike light after putting up my tent and one of my discs popped in my spine, talk about agony I thought i'd been stabbed.Miss out the next couple of days of days and got to Calais, I spent the day in hospital on a morphine drip. Glad we had European health cards so no charge. I phoned the C.T.C insurance ,I explained what had happened , I didn't expect much and that's exactly what I got,no offers of any help at all. A letter from C.T.C.s insurance co Slater and Gordon saying sorry but nothing they can do. Back home now and slowly recovering after having one disc removed and some metal work put in my back. I look forward to the airport alarms going off. Point i'm glad I had a cycling partner who helped me get home, A European health card, but should have checked out if I have any other insurances. Sad I lost out on a good trip. Can't thank all the staff at Southampton University Hospital enough for they have done for me,The Spine units were incredible. Thanks, T.
tyreon

Re: disapointment with insusance co.

Post by tyreon »

Wow! Bad luck. Had a prolapsed disc myself: not nice. Must have been bad tho,usually rest and medication may be enough to put you back on the road(3 -8 weeks?). Hard to assess your back injury and what investigations you had into having had what surgery you had. Op done here? I guess the best thing(abroad) would have been to have you laid out and,with sedation/anti inflammatories,transported back here. Easier said than done. You got back how? And your bike and gear? Taken back by your friend? Guess the insurance covers your medical/nursing and medication input but no transportation?? Yet others with medical cover I know have been flown/carried back. To a greater degree you needed respite care,at least for a bit(esp if alone). Abroad or back here,on you ownsome, I don't know what provision is made: you would need food,and someone to collect meds or whatever. In some cases people have no relatives to fall back upon(or friends!)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Slater and Gordon are the CTCs no win no fee solicitors. They didnt want to take my damage claim to court when a badly filled pothole brought me off my bike because they thought that my case wasnt winable. If the CTC says that you have insurance cover through these people, you havent. Anyone can contact Slater and Gordon even if you are not a CTC member and they may take your case for damages if they think they can win and take a fee out of the claim. Its actually only no win no fee legal cover. However I think you may have third party public liability insurance through the CTC to protect against any damage caused by you on your bike. Perhaps someone can confirm?

I dont believe your back problem is appropriate to the CTC anyway. Isnt it more a job for a normal travel insurance claim if it caused you any out of pocket expense, hotel etc?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
beardy

Post by beardy »

I assumed the Op had taken out additional travel insurance from CTC.

https://www.ctc.org.uk/insurance/ctc-cy ... -insurance

Our CTC insurance that comes with the membership is to pay out if we have claims from third parties against us, not to insure ourselves against our own misfortunes.
newbootclimbco

Post by newbootclimbco »

Thanks to Al and Tyreon for your comments, I'm looking into if I had any insurance thro my bank. In the mean time i'm resting and waiting to start phisio. I had done lots of training on my bike and also swimming 3 times a week. I think that fitness level will help my recovery.As I knew i'd done some serious damage, hence getting back to the UK asp. I had actually collapsed waiting at Calais ferry terminal. I was taken to hospital along with my mate. All our gear bikes luggage etc were looked after by P and O Ferries. 9 hours later and pumped full of drugs we returned to the Port.All our gear was loaded aboard plus me in a wheel chair by P and O staff, looked after on the crossing then staff still took care of our gear in a secure area in Dover. My mate driving his van back to Dover the next day to collect our gear. We had got back to Dorset via 2 coaches. My op was carried out at Southampton hospital, I spent 10 days there. Been home a week, I live alone but have some good neighbours and friends with my Daughters helping as well. I shall be more aware of insurance cover in the future, but who ever really expects this sort of thing to happen. Thanks , T.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

I have the E111(or somesuch)which you will have had. I also have 'gratis' free medical insurance9in Europe) via having my current account in Nationwide Building Society. I don't know how good it would be(and hope never to have it tested)should something happen. I believe(Nationwide?)offer somesuch 'free' medical insurance scheme worldwide if you take out some such-and-such account. Might be worth considering on any future trip you have planned.

Slow and steady on the recovery. Hasten slowly to arrive the faster as the saying goes.