Who, What, Why: How dangerous are tick bites in the UK?

crazydave789

Re: The Ticking Lyme Bomb

Post by crazydave789 »

interesting, I wonder what brought it in.

the increase in deer populations can't help matters,

I go through phases where I feel so crap I wonder if I picked up something from the hundreds of ticks I removed decades ago. or it could just be the age thing.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

It seems a bit alarmist to make a big deal about a symptom (that has now resolved) and not say what she could have done differently, or what people should do to prevent a severe case of Lyme disease. I don't know about the circumstances surrounding being bit, but once she was bit, the symptoms she had were definite warning signs. If she'd gone to the GP straight away, the worst symptoms might have been prevented, and furthermore, she might have been more likely to have a correct diagnosis, with the teltale ring present.

I'm not blaming her, nor making light of what must have been very distressful. Certainly the GP should have diagnosed it correctly, but I still think that the BBC should include a 'what should you do' segment of pieces like this.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

know two people who have caught Lyme Disease. Quite a serious illness.
Awful.Friend of mine has had it for many years.Seem to take about 5 years before even given a correct diagnosis..Symptoms for her are very similair to MS.
Psamathe

Re: Who, What, Why: How dangerous are tick bites in the UK?

Post by Psamathe »

Old Thread Reactivation! (but not important enough to start a new thread).

From this month's The Boiologist
wrote:Small mammals such as voles, shrews and mice are the primary reservoirs of Lyme pathogens. Amongst birds, the blackbird is the most significant carrier, followed by thrushes and robins. According to the British Deer Society, although deer may increase the local population of ticks, it is possible that the percentage of ticks carrying Lyme bacteria is reduced because of the action of their immune system on the bacterium that causes the disease Borrelia burgdorferi
Of course it does not reduce the importance of tick removal but I'd previously considered "deer territory" the higher risk where this would suggest more widespread animals are of maybe greater importance?

But, most night I seem to capture endless numbers of mice and voles on my traincam in local hedgerow and not yet seen a tick on any of them. Earlier this year I recorded a hedgehog with loads.

Ian
DinoD

Post by DinoD »

A few years back I hiked the West Highland way and was wild camping. By the time I got back home a week later I had 6 of them on my back. My wife says I’ve got Lyme but I put it down to old age.
Back in my army days in Rhodesia the south east was the worst and I managed to get tick bite fever. Worse than that though was having to inspect each other in places we couldn’t see ourselves while we were on patrol.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

they are incredible survivors - I found one embedded in my arm a few years ago, I carefully removed it, dropped it into a little plastic bag and put it in the fridge (the idea being if needed I could give it to the doctor to see if it was carrying any pathogens) However it was all forgot about. Possibly about 6 months later I found the little bag with the tick in, I tipped it out onto the table, and within about 10 minutes it started moving. it had survived about 6 month a about 4°C inside a plastic bag.
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

Quick note for anyone planning a trip to the Outer Hebrides, the level of both ticks and Lymes Disease seems to be very high particularly on the Uist chain: https://www.gla.ac.uk/research/beacons/ ... escotland/

I've been up there a few times in recent times and the locals have pointed out the risks, with the cottages I stayed in having notes about them. There seems to be a lot of on going discussion about possible links to the rise in the deer population (and a perhaps a cull of some sort), with strong opinions on both sides.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Pebble wrote: 1 Feb 2023, 11:06pm it had survived about 6 month a about 4°C inside a plastic bag.
Well qualified for Scottish hill-walking then.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Colleague in the cycling club was really ill with Lyme's. Went down with what was thought by his gp to be flu. When it didn't clear or respond to meds further tests revealed it was Lyme's. He went downhill rapidly into a coma for 6 months. At one point his liver stopped working and he was moved to Kings hospital in London to await a liver transplant. Fortunately things slowly improved but he lost his short term memory and after being discharged needed a lot help. A year later he had dementia and had to move into residential care. He passed away after 6 months.
Not sure all this is related but it's a salutary warning to get checked if you think you may be infected. I believe rats may carry this disease and contaminate water courses which then can infect humans through open wounds. This was believed to be the most likely way our colleague was infected. :o
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Boring_Username

Post by Boring_Username »

Infected bites can often (but not always) lead to a distinctive 'bullseye rash'. If you see one of these, get yourself to the doctors sharpish - I believe antibiotics are usually sufficient if the infection is treated early.

freiston

Post by freiston »

[EDIT: - In response to rjb's post two posts above]

That sounds more like Weil's disease than Lyme disease to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospirosis
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

I have been using Skin So Soft Original Dry Oil Spray for a few years now as both anti insect and maybe tick deterrent..
seems to work, I spray round lower legs and arms and head. Ive been pretty lucky in that I have had no ticks over the time and I often bivi or sleep open (just on mat) .

Got hte idea from a family member in the Military ..
Pete... I think
Pebble

Tick Bite

Post by Pebble »

Just found this little fellow on the inside of my elbow this evening, (now safely removed, its still alive and well and living in the fridge inside a plastic bag just in case it needs testing for pathogens).

I am aware of the dangers of these things and do know what to look out for, as an ex hillwalker who's completed the Munros (and most of the Corbetts) I have had a few experiences of these remarkable little creatures.

But to this one, I am curious as to how long you think it may have been attached. ? I'm puzzled as to where it has come from. Yesterday, Sunday, spent the day cycling round Edinburgh, did take a pee in the undergrowth a couple of times, but long steep in the bath last night and full change of clothes. Today, no cycling, spent the day in Durham, did have a walk round the river, but never off the path, seems highly unlikely I could have picked it up today, but can't think it could have been on me all night either. What do you think

So anyone want a guess how long this has been attached? just a tiny bit of redness where it has attached, it does seem a little engorged, or maybe its a fully engorged nymph ?

2mm long
may be not engorged at all ? and probably an adult
VinceLedge

Re: Tick Bite

Post by VinceLedge »

Looks like an adult that isn't full up yet. When fully engorged they look like a cardamon pod and are about the same size.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Tick Bite

Post by Mick F »

I never get them but Mrs Mick F often gets them.
Surgical spirit on them to kill them, then pull them out with tweezers. Make sure all the bits come out.

I say "I never get them" but that's not completely true. I do get them, but they die and fall off. Same as insect bites, they never bite me much - if at all. Mrs Mick F suffers terribly with insect bites.
Mick F. Cornwall