upper body exersice

rich g

upper body exersice

Post by rich g »

Do you as cyclists do upper body exersice if so what do you do? i must admit i don't do any,but i think maybe i should but not to sure what would be most sutable for a 66yr old.
rich
greyingbeard

Re: upper body exersice

Post by greyingbeard »

swimming, pint lifting, bowls. Depends how old you consider yourself to be.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Same with the swimming , as an all round body exercise you can't beat it , wether it's helped with cycling though don't really think so.I used to do press ups which for upper body strength do wonders . Depends what type of cycling you do , I coud see some upper body exercises been benificial if say you did alot of rough stuff mountian biking or enjoyed cyclo-cross.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

The problem with cycling and swimming is that both are non weight bearing exercises.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I do physio for my back and feet most days.
One of my training courses, I did an off road course about 8 miles (IIRC) plus the 35 road miles on my tourer.
Next day my core muscles were killing me, 1st time ever, Normal off road on my mtb is OK, even hard core extensive with camping gear over the moors.
I am getting old I know, but put it down to having to ride the course on the drops so I could keep hands on the brakes and on the tops with narrow bars and twitchy steering you simply could not control the thing.

Unless your activity is giving you grief you might not need to, but I am only 57 and old age is making me weak so I combat it with some specific exercises, do you ache after a ride, more next day rather :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

Swimming and dumbells
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

La Pavoni Europiccola. Trouble is you get a bit lopsided.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Ray

Post by Ray »

Audax67 wrote:La Pavoni Europiccola. Trouble is you get a bit lopsided.

OK, I googled it - a coffee machine! Not sure about the upper body development, but it looks as if it might make exceedingly good coffee.

Go on, start another thread to tell us about it - ISTR you're a bit of a coffee geek :D
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

In the winter my rowing machine comes out.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

Circuit training twice a week (+ pilates to help with core strength & flexibility). At 67, I try to minimise jumping (& burpees :lol: ) due to joint issues, and I lift lighter weights than I used to. But I have been doing similar exercise for the last 25yrs or so: you'd need to be careful just jumping in :wink:
"42"
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Gardening [emoji263]
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Ray wrote:
Audax67 wrote:La Pavoni Europiccola. Trouble is you get a bit lopsided.

OK, I googled it - a coffee machine! Not sure about the upper body development, but it looks as if it might make exceedingly good coffee.

Go on, start another thread to tell us about it - ISTR you're a bit of a coffee geek :D

I might next week. It's not being delivered until tomorrow. One of the reviews I saw said "cancel your subscription to the gym, this is all you need".
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Ray

Post by Ray »

Audax67 wrote:I might next week. It's not being delivered until tomorrow. One of the reviews I saw said "cancel your subscription to the gym, this is all you need".

Thanks. We've had a small Gaggia for a few years, but it really needs replacing. I'm inclined to think that replicating coffee house taste/quality is probably beyond domestic machines, but employing a bit of muscle looks interesting!
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
rich g

Post by rich g »

Well i have made a start with sit ups,i would like to swim but do not enjoy it to much.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Finding a form of exercise that complements cycling is going to be a good thing, whether it's gardening, arm-wrestling, gym work, or simply the enthusiastic physical expression of affection (which has other benefits, equally valuable).

However, I do often wonder whether, as cyclists, we worry too much about this. OK, cycling favours the legs, but the torso, shoulders and arms don't remain completely inert while we're pedalling, especially in hilly country. The average 'person in the street' (slippery concept, I know) nowadays probably uses his/her upper body a lot less than the average cyclist. Whenever I think I ought to be doing press-ups I think of this, and find something more interesting to do.
Ray