Home exercise - what equipment?

RickH

Re: Home exercise - what equipment?

Post by RickH »

Tangled Metal wrote:Yep, you're nuts.

For my next trick, we're contemplating getting some studded tyres for the tandem so my sight impaired cycling buddy (she is as nuts as me :shock: ) & I can carry on riding if/when it turns icy!

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Did you hear that snow is coming at the weekend?! A cold spell but no doubt snow will be limited to Scotland and a few hilly areas. Nevermind it's supposed to be a cold winter so your studded tyres will come into play sooner or later.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Tangled Metal wrote:... it's supposed to be a cold winter...

That's what someone says every year. :lol:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

And it always is just for different lengths of time. They're never right but you can't blame me for wanting to believe it. I've a young son who's never seen a decent snowfall. I've yet to teach him about snowball fights, snow angels and making igloos and more practical snow shelters. Also sledging, not the Australian cricket technique but the sliding down a melting snow slope variety.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Tangled Metal wrote:Did you hear that snow is coming at the weekend?! A cold spell but no doubt snow will be limited to Scotland and a few hilly areas. Nevermind it's supposed to be a cold winter so your studded tyres will come into play sooner or later.

Its already here on the hills opposite me ! time to get the winter tyres on and thermals out me thinks !
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Phileas wrote:
Tangled Metal wrote:... it's supposed to be a cold winter...

That's what someone says every year. :lol:

Just like the bar-b-que summers ! :lol: :lol:
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Big Jim wrote earlier on back exercising and stretching...he seemed to say setting up a chin-up bar at home was easy. Really? Just wondering. Not a DIY man,and...can a bar that's placed thru-your doorway? be that secure for yourself or your door? Or a recipe for you to injure yourself and the doorway?

My past try at a chin-up was 1,nearly 2! :|
Mark1978

Home exercise - what equipment?

Post by Mark1978 »

I first got a turbo a few years ago and like many I did it a couple of times then realised how boring it was and it went in the shed.

However recently I've got a new PC which can run Zwift so decided to give it another go and it's another world! I've bought a smart trainer which simulates hills and if I had the time I would be on it every day. At the weekend I did a 4 hour (100km simulated) ride.

One definite thing is a strong fan. This is not an optional extra it's essential.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

tyreon wrote:Big Jim wrote earlier on back exercising and stretching...he seemed to say setting up a chin-up bar at home was easy. Really? Just wondering. Not a DIY man,and...can a bar that's placed thru-your doorway? be that secure for yourself or your door? Or a recipe for you to injure yourself and the doorway?

My past try at a chin-up was 1,nearly 2! :|

I have a chin-up bar that hangs on the door frame (no mods required). It work fine although I'm not entirely comfortable relying on the architrave fixings.

I also have gymnastic rings which hang from a large joist in the loft. I intend to fix something up that allows me to hang a chin-up bar in a similar way.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Does Zwift or any other similar system give you the option of riding your own bike?
Do any of these systems tip the bike forward and back according to the gradient/load?
Do any let you honk up the hills with a realistic motion of the handlebars and leaning of the bike?
whoof

Post by whoof »

fausto99 wrote:Does Zwift or any other similar system give you the option of riding your own bike?
Do any of these systems tip the bike forward and back according to the gradient/load?
Do any let you honk up the hills with a realistic motion of the handlebars and leaning of the bike?

Smart Turbo Trainers allow you to do online simulated stuff using your own bike. They also have gradient simulation. Not sure how it works.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/group-tes ... ide-326710
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Phileas wrote:I have a chin-up bar that hangs on the door frame (no mods required). It work fine although I'm not entirely comfortable relying on the architrave fixings.

They look like the most stupid design ever, to me. The point of the architrave is to cover the join between plaster and frame, it has no structural purpose at all. You can't tell what it's fixed with or to. In these days of no-nails glue and suchlike that may be the only thing holding it.

But lots of them seem to be advertised, so maybe nobody has broken their back using one. Yet.

I daresay if it's going to tear the architrave off, yours would have done so already, so it must be secure.

Probably.
whoof

Post by whoof »

mikeymo wrote:
Phileas wrote:
tyreon wrote:I have a chin-up bar that hangs on the door frame (no mods required). It work fine although I'm not entirely comfortable relying on the architrave fixings.

They look like the most stupid design ever, to me. The point of the architrave is to cover the join between plaster and frame, it has no structural purpose at all. You can't tell what it's fixed with or to. In these days of no-nails glue and suchlike that may be the only thing holding it.

But lots of them seem to be advertised, so maybe nobody has broken their back using one. Yet.

I daresay if it's going to tear the architrave off, yours would have done so already, so it must be secure.

Probably.

This is a resurrected thread. After five years their door has either fallen down or they have probably given up.
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

fausto99 wrote:Does Zwift or any other similar system give you the option of riding your own bike?

Zwift/RGT etc are designed to connect your bike+smart turbo via Bluetooth.
Zwift and a smart turbo simulates gradients by making it harder to pedal.You can get out of the saddle BUT the bike remains upright.IIRC Wahoo do a turbo that raises the front end to simulate going up hill but your bike is still upright as the rear wheel is connected to a turbo trainer or direct drive turbo.Some higher end direct drive Turbos are upwards of £700-£1000.
I do recall see a trainer that simulated real bike movement but it was Wattbike+ money ie upward of £2k.
RickH

Post by RickH »

The snappily named Kinetic Rock and Roll Control Trainer T-6500 :wink: (Wiggle link simply because it was the first one I found) links to Zwift, etc AND has sideways movement. the price doesn't seem too bad for a smart trainer either.

There are a couple of setups where you mount everything on a sprung board so the whole bike & trainer can move around but they tend to be expensive in their own right (the new Saris one come in at around £850 just for the board, you still have to get a trainer to fix the bike to!)

If noise is an issue, I'm impressed with Wahoo. My sight impaired friend (who I pilot tandem for when I can) got a Kickr Core setup. She spent the money on the trainer & just got a cheap second hand bike to run on it as the bike was never going to be ridden "for real". The Kickr makes less noise than the bike.

For the authentic "riding a bike" experience you can get smart rollers, with variable resistance, that will link to Zwift etc.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.