Bladder Neck Incision

AlanW

Bladder Neck Incision

Post by AlanW »

A bit of a personal question, but has anyone any experiance with having this done?

Whilst I dont really have a real concerns or even issues for that matter, a passing comment to my GP resulted in me having a bladder pressure test today. Not one of the most pleasant experiances I have to say!!! :shock:

Anyway, the end result was that it was suggested that I would probably benifit from having a Bladder Neck Incision operation. Which I understand isnt anything really major, but a couple of days in hospital is usually required.

But as I said at the start, I dont really have any real concerns so unsure if to go with thier suggestion or not? Now part of me thinks that presumably the "problem" will only get worse so nip it in the bud now. However, another part of me says if it aint broke dont fix it?
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
anniesboy

Re: Bladder Neck Incision

Post by anniesboy »

Your GP clearly had some concerns, surely it must be worth following it up.
Then get advice/opinion from a consultant.
Im very aware of bladder issues.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=92670
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

Yes, I read that thread, and really glad that things are going good for you.

What they said yesterday was it was my choice to have it done or not, by which I take it that it is nothing to serious. They also suggested that it would "probably" need doing again in 5 to 10 years time. Hence my question to find out if anyone else has had the same operation and was it really worth it.
"You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
Sleeper Service

Post by Sleeper Service »

I've had this operation twice, once in 2007 and again in 2014. The first time I had a bad bout of prostatitis beforehand, which was kicked off because I ignored the warning signs for years. After the operation it took me 9 months to start feeling good again, and two years before the discomfort went away completely. The second time was also preceded by a bout of prostatitis, again because I ignored my gradually decreasing stream and increased straining. I felt good about 10 months afterwards, and am still improving to date.

My case isn't typical - most cases resolve in three months - but I wouldn't hang about on this. Just make sure you are comfortable with the side effects, which your surgeon should have advised you about.
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

Oh crikey......that's not what I wanted to read really :shock: Rather concerned when you say that "most cases resolve in three months"

I was thinking more of days NOT months. :cry:
Sleeper Service

Sorry, but that's unlikely.

Here's a leaflet giving some details - your doctor or consultant should really talk you through all this.

http://www.pat.nhs.uk/downloads/patient ... cision.pdf
crossy

Post by crossy »

Hi can you please tell me after having this procedure how long was it before you got back on the bike. I have a recumbent trike so do you think that would be easier to get back on than the upwrong? Thanks for any input into this.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
Sleeper Service

My condition was complicated by the prostatitis, so it was about 9 months before I got back on a bike. Most people are fine within six to twelve weeks.
AlanW

Post by AlanW »

Sleeper Service wrote:Most people are fine within six to twelve weeks.

:shock: Wow...that long!!

And here was me thinking that it was a relatively minor op and I'd back on the bike in a week or two.