My weight and fitness

jqdsffjdsoge

My weight and fitness

Post by jqdsffjdsoge »

I'm 50, measure 6'3" and currently about 17 and a half stone.

My daily commute into and out of London is 20 miles, which is about 80 miles a week since I work from home one day.

I am typically absolutely buzzing when I get into work after ten miles. A shower and into the office, and I feel fine. I get up to go to the kitchen for a glass of water, and I absolutely love the feeling of power in my legs as I walk.

And then I go up four stairs, and I'm puffed out.

My knees hurt when I get on the bike in the morning, but they heat up within a mile and feel OK.

On the occasions where my wife is awake when I leave and sees me in my lycra, she will nod appreciatively at my lower half, and then frown when her gaze falls on my effing huge gut and tits.

Try as I might, I do not have the willpower to stop scoffing my **** off on a daily basis. So I have the choice: either grow a pair and get some willpower, or else up my exercise level to the point where I'm burning off the calories anyway.

My question, therefore: is this excess weight really slowing me down that much?

My commute into work is relatively flat. If I lost say, four stone, would that help my cycling, or do I just need to build up the strength in my legs to overcome the effort of pulling an upper body that weighs as much as the bloody Space Shuttle?
Last edited by Graham on 9 Jan 2016, 6:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of initial "So"
--
Just a bloke
2008 Surly LHT | 2013 Surly LHT | 2014 Genesis Flyer | 2015 Giant Defy Advanced 3
PH

Re: So, Seriously .... Weight and Fitness?

Post by PH »

Ha, good post, very honest.
I'm same height and a little older, commute 50 miles a week and ride at least an additional 50 every week. My weight fluctuates from 95 to 110kg, which at best is overweight and at worse well into obese.
My commute is completely flat and my weight, the weight of whichever bike I'm on and the weight of whatever I'm carrying doesn't seem to make any difference to my average speed. It's a completely different story as soon as it starts going uphill, a hilly 40 mile loop I sometimes do is a pleasant ride at 95kg and a real struggle at 110.
So to answer your question, I doubt it would make much difference to your flat commute, but as I'm sure you know there's a whole load of other reasons why it'd be a good idea to shed some of that weight.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Agree.
Weight isn't an issue on your flat commute.

Weight is always a problem generally health-wise, but not when riding a bike ................ unless you are hauling the weight up hills.

Can I suggest that ten flat miles isn't enough?
Why not leave earlier and do twenty miles a couple of times a week? Maybe find a hill or two as well?
Are there any hills locally?
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well... can't really compare like for like, you and me, everyone is different. But your BMI, if I've done my sums right, is around 30 to 31, which is not far different from mine (around 29 to 30). Which is not disastrous for most people. It is true that a lot depends on how much of this is fat and how much is bone or muscle. I think I am more of the pear-shaped type, more bulk around the legs, which is supposed to be less harmful, than round the waist.

But if, as you say, you have a disproportionate beer-gut, and if it concerns you (as well as Mrs Jqdss....), well you may have a problem.

As far as cycling and exercise go, well, although I have no doubt about the benefits, I question the link between cycling and short-term weight-loss. Because it doesn't seem to happen for me. I have been logging my weight daily for almost a year now, and I find that on those days when I do a commute of similar distance to yours (about 10 miles each way), I actually register a gain in weight on the following day's measurement. Maybe the cycling stimulates me to snack just that little bit more. My commute is only one day per week though.

And overall, through the year, I recorded a downward trend of about 10Kg overall, though it has crept up in recent weeks - seasonal maybe.

I'm 65 and I don't have problems going up stairs (well, I probably would if I tried to tackle Canary Wharf or the Shard in one go....). But then I'm taking various medications.

Possibly you may have an underlying health issue. Have you had your blood pressure measured recently?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I watched a programme on BBC 1 four weeks ago - the one where a doctor moves in with a family to analyse their health and fitness issues. He advised nine fat guy to eat only within a 10 hour window - ie breakfast at 8am and dinner no later than 6pm where possible and eat nothing before and after. I am a constant eater and cycle about 150 miles a week at a leisurely pace. I have stuck to the 10 hour rule and also left the car at home, walking a couple of miles a day to shops and out with the dog. I am 58. Lost a stone in just four weeks. Can't believe how much fitter I feel (now 12st 4) and looking forward to better weather and upping my cycling. Granted I'm starving come 9/10pm and now eat a huge breakfast. But it has focussed me on maintaining fitness in 2016.
PH

Post by PH »

That's interesting Eyebrox, do you think you eat less or just at different times?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

That does me!

Hearty breakfast at 8ish, a lunch around noon - sandwich, crisps, maybe a biscuit - then evening meal at 6ish.
No eating between meals, nothing before and nothing afterwards. Suits me fine.
Mick F. Cornwall
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

I never bothered with much of a breakfast previously. My downfall was eating at night - ravenous at dinner time then snacking a few hours after a hearty meal. I still get the munchies round about News at Ten time (I'm a late bedder). My favourite meal is now breakfast - cereal/fruit/yoghurt/boiled eggs/toast. Sometimes the lot, in smaller portions, if I have the time and inclination. I eat healthily enough but the 10 hour principle has given me something to concentrate on. Otherwise any thoughts of controlling what I eat goes out the window. I can now just about squeeze into 32" waist trousers. The 36" ones will soon be bike rags - well the cotton ones will be.
Oh, and to answer the question: " Yes, I'm eating less. Also cut out chocolate and crisps."
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Being diabetic I keep an eye on my diet, within reason.

A couple of years ago my weight was fairly constant at 85kg (this is weighing 1st thing in the morning, before eating/drinking. so to maintain reasonable consistency).

I started weighing myself each day to see what, if anything, made my weight go up and down even by .1 or .2 of a kg.

And I started thinking things like "How much did that bedtime snack I had last night weigh" - stuff like that.

Now I have 2 sandwiches instead of 3 for tea (padding them out with tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce and stuff, even cheese ones), and have cut the late night snacks days, with a view to going to bed hungry each night - alleviated with a glass of water when necessary.

Over the last few months since making that particular resolution my weight has crept down to a smidgeon above 77kg.

Despite since my wife having retired we go out 2 or 3 afternoons each week for coffee and cake somewhere - something I rarely dd before she retired a few months ago. And I still sometimes have a packet of nuts/cheese biccies at the pub from time to time. And if I'm on a ride my teashop stop sometimes has me putting sugar in my tea.

And yes, my diabetic reviews (BP, BS, Chol etc.) still come out looking good.

Oh I should mention - we don't keep biscuits, snacks etc in the house, except around Christmas of course!

I put it down to that one little thing - no bedtime snacks - which is the only real change I made. I think it has been a "Micawber" thing - in my case, nineteen shillings and sixpence for a few months reduces weight, 20 shillings = stable weight, 20/6 would be Woe!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
paul434

Post by paul434 »

As a cyclist I often fall into the trap of thinking I can eat what I like, I'll burn it off. It's not true and every now and again the numbers on the scales get bigger and my jeans get tighter.
I find that 10 hour window works for me. I didn't know about it til I watched the tv show. I've always stopped having any nibbles or snacks after dinner and within weeks I need to use a belt again.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

What an interesting opener. Humorous too. Nice replies. Mick F: give that man a break :wink: You want him to do an extra 20 a couple o times a week! Sadist! "Leave 'im alone Grant!"

Some good simple advice here. I hope I can take it! Such a weaklin'.
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

I find shorter rides (-20 miles) have absolute no weight loss effect. It's only 40+ miles that the pounds come off, and quicker if it's a hilly route. Have a regular 45er over a very long climb and the day after that can be up to 3.5lbs lighter. Some fluid loss but managed to lose 11kg this year keeping this going. Definitely no eating after 6!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1

Miles+Hills is the answer.
Mick F. Cornwall
SpannerGeek

Post by SpannerGeek »

Unfortunately I will be surrounded by a family of big eaters for the next seven days. I'll keep you posted on my diet resolve!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

best not equate exercise to weight loss, if you exercise you will eat more.
Whilst its true an hour of cycling burns around 440 cals, It so easy to eat this amount afterward.
A lot of dieticians are coming round to this idea.

It might be worth looking at what you eat. my own favourite thing when I think I am carrying too much weight is to start a food diary, Just by examining what you eat in terms of calories will modify your (Well in my case) behaviour. Also encourages you to prepare your own food, As prepared food such as deli sandwiches are high in fat and sugars.
NUKe