Diaphragmatic,Deep abdominal,breathing at all times on bike?

RideToWorky

Diaphragmatic,Deep abdominal,breathing at all times on bike?

Post by RideToWorky »

Hi All,

Winter, reading on the stretching and yoga exercises etc. can do over winter months.

Reading away, came across this a couple of times - Diaphragmatic, Deep abdominal breathing for cycling

I've tried it a few times at home, got dizzy!

Is it something that auto kicks in when you need it when cycling, and the yoga exercises are refining it?

Or is this suppose to be the way to breath all the time when cycling, to get as much air in as possible at all times??
Is this a highly advanced thing to do on bikes at the top end, and not to really mess with as a average joe?

Hope you can advise

Regards
Martin
Vorpal

Re: Diaphragmatic,Deep abdominal,breathing at all times on b

Post by Vorpal »

I have to admit that I don't really think about it, unless I'm breathing hard for climbing, or something. Then sometimes, I deliberately use abdominal breathing. Otherwise, I don't think it is necessary. It is good for us sometimes, but all the time on the bike? I don't think that is anymore necessary than all the time doing anything else. I do it sometimes, doing other things, to; especially sitting at my desk because sitting at a desk tends to make us breathe shallowly. It's not really good for us, so sometimes, I make an effort to change my position and do some abdominal breathing. Or stand up for a while.

I do think this sort of thing is probably useful for athletes, and if you want to go faster, it might be something to try, but probably not much use for commuting and shopping.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
RideToWorky

Post by RideToWorky »

Thanks for the Sanity check Vorpal,

That's good advise on how and where to use this Deep abdominal breathing

Pretty much the same kind of advise the Mag I was last reading said, to build up to using it on the bike!
(Its an OK mag - "Road Cyclist Training Manual - £8 - what can do for each of the 4 seasons - a lot of info in one place. A lot ott for average joe but good snippets to try :D )

Regards
Martin
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Playground trick very dangerous , normally ends with passing out................... :?
Spent a good deal of time in my youth chasing fish underwater, or breaking personal breath holding records of more than 3 minutes.

Seriously when pushed or expecting a hype in exercise for a burst you will breath deeper naturally, just don't forget as your breathing becomes more rapid to blow out at the bottom as well as suck in, if not you run out of breath and then you say you can't talk......................blowing out (open mouth not whistle) will restore a good breathing rate.
I tend to practice this if I am moving rapidly in training on the flat but normally its only cresting a hill or chasing down some roadie. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperventilation

"Hyperventilation occurs when the rate and quantity of alveolar ventilation of carbon dioxide exceeds the body's production of carbon dioxide.[1][2] Hyperventilation can be voluntary or involuntary.

When alveolar ventilation is excessive, more carbon dioxide will be removed from the blood stream than the body can produce. This causes the concentration of carbon dioxide in the blood stream to fall and produces a state known as hypocapnia. The body normally attempts to compensate for this metabolically. If excess ventilation cannot be compensated metabolically, it will lead to a rise in blood pH. This rise in blood pH is known as respiratory alkalosis. When hyperventilation leads to respiratory alkalosis, it may cause a number of physical symptoms: dizziness, tingling in the lips, hands or feet, headache, weakness, fainting and seizures. In extreme cases it can cause carpopedal spasms (flapping and contraction of the hands and feet).[3]"
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
AJ101

Post by AJ101 »

If you're interested in this sort of thing have you seen Wim Hoff the Iceman.
Great documentary on Vice, a tremendously interesting guy.
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/video/iceman
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Playground trick very dangerous , normally ends with passing out................... :?

He's talking about training breathing using the abdomen, like people learn in yoga, pilates, and some martial arts.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Vorpal wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,

He's talking about training breathing using the abdomen, like people learn in yoga, pilates, and some martial arts.

I know, but the OP got dizzy.
I don't think that the OP was missing anything just curios about the technique.
If you have done enough exercise and feel comfortable in your breathing you are OK.
But I have seen many who make a meal of it and breath quicker and quicker, for those who it does not come that natural probably need some sort of guidance.
If you are comfortable then you probably do not need to go looking.
Lack of fitness for the exercise you are doing is probably most likely cause of loss of breath.
Much more difficult whilst swimming of course.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.