Turbo training v cycling outdoors

whoof

Re: Turbo training v cycling outdoors

Post by whoof »

As others have said it depends whether you are riding to enjoy the ride or specific training.

I know of someone who was at sea for months on end and did all of their training on a turbo. After a week back in the UK they were winning time trials.
However, if the opportunity to ride on the road had been available they would have done some (I'll get on to why not all in a minute) of their training on the road.

When I raced I used a turbo trainer. But it's such a boring thing to do I only used it for interval training, short, high out-put efforts with a small rest in between that give you top end speed. For example 6 times 3 minutes with a minute recovery between each. The reason I used a turbo was that all the variables were controllable allowing a constant power output with no interruptions during the 'on' times. On the road there is traffic, junctions, hills, wind etc that can interfere with this.
For a bike race you also need endurance so also do 'long' rides which I generally did on a Sunday with a club. If the forecast was heavy rain and winds on a Sunday I go out on a Saturday instead. If it was like this both days I'd choose a day and put on my cape and do a shorter ride, a couple of hours. There is no way I would spend 2 hours or more riding a turbo-trainer as it would be far more miserable than riding in the rain. Also as others have commented riding a turbo isn't going to teach you how to corner/descend in the wet or hold a wheel in a cross-wind as unfortunately not all races are run in calm, sunny weather. Cycle racing takes a lot more skill and tactics than just pushing hard on the pedals and pointing the bike in the right direction.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

whoof wrote:When I raced I used a turbo trainer. But it's such a boring thing to do I only used it for interval training, short, high out-put efforts with a small rest in between that give you top end speed. For example 6 times 3 minutes with a minute recovery between each. The reason I used a turbo was that all the variables were controllable allowing a constant power output with no interruptions during the 'on' times. On the road there is traffic, junctions, hills, wind etc that can interfere with this.

Back in the days when I used to do such things I found three minutes up a local hill followed by one minute to roll back down and start again worked fine on the road. Its not difficult to find a hill three minutes long without side roads or heavy traffic.
whoof

Post by whoof »

TonyR wrote:
whoof wrote:When I raced I used a turbo trainer. But it's such a boring thing to do I only used it for interval training, short, high out-put efforts with a small rest in between that give you top end speed. For example 6 times 3 minutes with a minute recovery between each. The reason I used a turbo was that all the variables were controllable allowing a constant power output with no interruptions during the 'on' times. On the road there is traffic, junctions, hills, wind etc that can interfere with this.

Back in the days when I used to do such things I found three minutes up a local hill followed by one minute to roll back down and start again worked fine on the road. Its not difficult to find a hill three minutes long without side roads or heavy traffic.

Agreed, but if you are trying to do some training to a specific level based on power or heart rate and want repeatability this can be affected by conditions such as weather. One week it's relatively mild and blowing up the hill the next it's blowing down, freezing cold and raining. With the turbo you can screen all this out. Also I would have started some intervals by now and was never a great fan of gulping in very cold air as this would result in tasting blood in my mouth and my all my lower teeth going numb something which never occurred during the 'season' regardless of how hard I rode.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Vorpal wrote:
Flinders wrote:I wish I could find a way to set up a book where I could read it, so I could regard it as 'work' as well, which might help me do it, but so far I haven't been able to do it successfully (the books in question are big heavy books, not paperbacks).

They make stuff for that :) http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Pr ... 0000_64513

Instructables also has instructions for a DIY one, so that you could enhance it if you need something sturdier http://www.instructables.com/id/Bike-ha ... ok-holder/

Thanks for those. I think they would be great for most people, and look butch enough even for most of my books, so well worth having the links here.
Unfortunately part of my problem is I have handlebar congestion- narrow drop bars (I'm small) and too much stuff already on there- computer, light bracket, crosstop brake levers. There just isn't any space. :cry:
I will look further into the first one, though, as it looks like I might just be able to winkle it on...

edit: It seems that it does have problems with fitting on a lot of bikes, and struggles with things heavier than ipods and magazines; surprising as it looks quite strong. I'm astounded in seeing from the reviews that some people actually cycle on the roads whist using this, they must be insane. :shock:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Flinders wrote:Thanks for those. I think they would be great for most people, and look butch enough even for most of my books, so well worth having the links here.
Unfortunately part of my problem is I have handlebar congestion- narrow drop bars (I'm small) and too much stuff already on there- computer, light bracket, crosstop brake levers. There just isn't any space. :cry:
I will look further into the first one, though, as it looks like I might just be able to winkle it on...
Use a music stand? They make quite sturdy ones. Look for ones labelled 'orchestra' or 'symphony'. You can get all kinds of accessories for them clips, to hold stuff down (look for 'wind clips'), lights, water bottle holders, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Gearlux-Deluxe-Co ... 272&sr=1-4 You can also get adjustable height, tiltable laptop stands that might do the same job http://www.amazon.com/Quik-LPH-001-Lapt ... 72&sr=1-12
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Vorpal wrote:
Flinders wrote:Thanks for those. I think they would be great for most people, and look butch enough even for most of my books, so well worth having the links here.
Use a music stand? They make quite sturdy ones. Look for ones labelled 'orchestra' or 'symphony'. You can get all kinds of accessories for them clips, to hold stuff down (look for 'wind clips'), lights, water bottle holders, etc. http://www.amazon.com/Gearlux-Deluxe-Co ... 272&sr=1-4 You can also get adjustable height, tiltable laptop stands that might do the same job http://www.amazon.com/Quik-LPH-001-Lapt ... 72&sr=1-12

I wondered about that- I have a few, but they are far too weedy, I imagine I'd need a conductor's one, as you suggest. I'll follow up the links, thank you.
It seems the one I was looking at above doesn't ship to the UK.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I also find the indoor bike a good way to train for mountains. The hills are long enough over here to replicate a mountain, but you can pedal uphill on an indoor bike for an hour or more
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Flinders wrote:I wondered about that- I have a few, but they are far too weedy, I imagine I'd need a conductor's one, as you suggest. I'll follow up the links, thank you.
It seems the one I was looking at above doesn't ship to the UK.

Sorry about that. I tried twice to go to Amazon UK. It kept switching me automatically to the US site for some reason. :roll:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

I cycle precisely because it is outdoors. It makes me happy to be cycling the lanes in all weathers, I love visiting the village cafes and sitting in that snug steamy atmosphere on a wet or cold day. I love being out as the seasons play out. I love the wind, sun, rain, sleet, and snow playing out on the landscape. I love seeing my breath condense on the air on a frosty morning. Even after showering and relaxing back home that contentment lasts long after I've stopped pedalling. I can't imagine anything more different that that by being couped up on a turbo trainer.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

mnichols wrote:I also find the indoor bike a good way to train for mountains. The hills are long enough over here to replicate a mountain, but you can pedal uphill on an indoor bike for an hour or more

Perhaps I've had the wrong one but I've never found a turbo trainer or gym bike can get anywhere near riding up a mountain. For a start you are not having to lift your weight up a hill so all you can do is up the resistance but even that can get nowhere near the effort you need to put into climbing a hill or a mountain IME.
Paulatic

Turbo training v cycling outdoors

Post by Paulatic »

Did one of my regular rides today. Started off dry , quickly turned to rain and then snow. Also takes in the climb to Beattock Summit approx 8 continual miles of climbing with a headwind until the turn.
I doubt you can replicate the full experience on a turbo, I certainly wouldn't want to have done it indoors. How else could I have justified a superb bowl of soup on my way back through Moffat?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Last night 40 minutes on treadmill walking most, up to 10% gradient and up to 8 mph.
Tread mill has 4 programs with auto incline and speed control, I set to auto and just hang on :lol:

Then jumped straight on the turbo and one hour at 84 % of max HR.

Owned the turbo for over 15 years not programable but you can set a time or distance to complete and manual gradient that you can change mid ride, and well worth the £180,

Probably the reason TT'rs use a turbo is that its relatively easy to get above 90 % of max HR and stay there if you can, road work unless you are on a flat circuit with no stops is almost impossible to maintain a constant work out put.

I used to cycle to gym training many years ago then cycle home.
The gym training was a circuit where you would climb ropes, star jumps, press-ups, pull ups etc. etc. No weights.

Havent been out at all this year but out tomorrow for a blast, forecast reckons it will be too.

P.S. A couple of years ago I trained in the winter for several months on the turbo then jumped on the bike and rode 100 miles round Dartmoor, its possible.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Turbos are dull, dull, dull. I managed 11 minutes on mine last night, and I NEED to be doing a lot more than that. I managed over an hour on the recumbent exercise bike in front of the TV, but the turbo's noisier and is not allowed out of the garage.

On the other hand, turbo miles are hard, unremitting miles, and done right will improve the outdoor cycling no end. I've not been allowed out on my bike for seven months now, and couldn't even swing my leg over the bike on the turbo until a few weeks ago unfortunately. The recumbent indoor bike has been useful, but it's nowhere near as demanding on the legs or the heart even on quite high resistances. I'm hoping to be able to get passed the boredom and do enough on the turbo that the return to the road isn't too much of a shock to the system.
Si

Post by Si »

Managed fifteen minutes on mine yesterday morning before the knee started hurting too much, but only ten yesterday afternoon:boredom set in before the knee complained.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
If you are recovering are you on a program of phisotherapy at all :?:
I have found that young modern NHS physiotherapist are top drawer, seen several and they are all good.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.