Alcohol Consumption Guidelines: Do you care?

Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Alcohol Consumption Guidelines: Do you care?

Post by Mick F »

Graham wrote:Off-topic
Mick F wrote:It wasn't until I left the RN, that I became (slowly) educated.
Sad, but true.

Wow, that is quite a revelation.
Yes. Quite a revelation .......... to me, and now to you lot.

Honestly, you get brainwashed in the services, even someone like me as an electronics engineer and not a "sailor" nor someone who saw himself as (what we used to call) "anchor-faced". It took me years and years and years to shake it off. I was ill-prepared for civvy-street, not due to the RN not preparing me, but me seeing and having to cope with a new reality.

We all see things from our own perspective and have difficulty understanding a different reality. If we change to a new reality, it can take an age to get used to it.

Hence my comment about ex-policemen seeing things as "policemen".

--------------------------------------------------------------
Back on topic:

Any road up, I've had enough today. Plumbing and drain cleaning in the morning, a quick lunch, then bonfiring and clearing up after felling a big ash tree. I'm knackered and I'm sitting here with a pint of Hobgoblin. I need it and I deserve it, and I'm drinking it. When I've done that, I'm going to have another one or even two. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

The reality is always the same, it has to be or it wouldn't be reality. The environment is what changes, and the difficulty lies in understanding it, or trying to at least. Life is as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. And no, I'm not a Christian, although I sometimes get a little crabby, which might make me a crustacean. The worst thing about life is that by the time you're just starting to get a handle on it, it no longer matters, but if you can enjoy the ride then that may be the best you can hope for.
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
beardy

Post by beardy »

I'm knackered and I'm sitting here with a pint of Hobgoblin. I need it and I deserve it, and I'm drinking it. When I've done that, I'm going to have another one or even two. :lol:

I suppose I had better get around to filling in my donor card as somebody will be needing a liver before too long. But will they accept mine? you see some time last week I changed from being a safe moderate drinker to somebody who drinks to excess, so you probably wouldnt want my liver now anyway.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Shootist wrote:The reality is always the same, it has to be or it wouldn't be reality.
I don't agree in the slightest.
Reality is in the eye of the beholder.
Mick F. Cornwall
beardy

Post by beardy »

I thought that it was

Reality is an illusion caused by the lack of alcohol
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Mick F wrote:
Shootist wrote:The reality is always the same, it has to be or it wouldn't be reality.
I don't agree in the slightest.
Reality is in the eye of the beholder.

So, someone consumes 13 pints of strong beer in three hours and thinks he's still sober enough to drive home through town. Any fool knows that he isn't, but his 'reality' is that he is. Can't you see a difference between his imagined reality and reality as it so obviously is, i.e. that in reality he is absolutely not safe to drive home?
Pacifists cannot accept the statement "Those who 'abjure' violence can do so only because others are committing violence on their behalf.", despite it being "grossly obvious."
[George Orwell]
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm halfway down my second pint of Hobgoblin. :D

Some years ago, a chap I knew wanted to lose weight. He was a big drinker and wanted to cut down to a 2,000cals a day diet.
He decided to drink ten pints a day instead of eating! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Graham

Post by Graham »

Mick F wrote:Some years ago, a chap I knew wanted to lose weight. He was a big drinker and wanted to cut down to a 2,000cals a day diet.
He decided to drink ten pints a day instead of eating! :lol:

I suppose an early death was a way of solving his weight problem. A bit drastic for most. :wink:
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Apropos of all this mullarky it caused me to review my drinking and IIRC I had 3 alcohol-free days last week, whereas I would have had a glass of wine with my meal on those evenings. As a result I fell within the new guidelines, as opposed to the old.

Actually, the debate on here was likely more instrumental in the (so far very short term) change, but nonetheless.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Shootist wrote:So, someone consumes 13 pints of strong beer in three hours and thinks he's still sober enough to drive home through town. Any fool knows that he isn't, but his 'reality' is that he is. Can't you see a difference between his imagined reality and reality as it so obviously is, i.e. that in reality he is absolutely not safe to drive home?
Imagined reality and real reality are still in the eye of the beholder.

Not talking about drugs or alcohol or anything ................ your "real" reality could ........ and probably is .......... different to my "real" reality.
Reality here at home in this house in this village at this time, is very different to yours at your house in your town(?) at this time.
What is real here, is unreal somewhere or sometime else.

As has been said up-tread, reality is a mental construct.
Phileas wrote:
Shootist wrote:Reading a book or watching a film may well be avoiding reality, but it is not distorting reality. There is a huge difference.
Well, since "reality" is a mental construct, I think the distinction is debatable.
I utterly agree with this statement.

Reality is a mental construct. It may not be "normal" or "acceptable" to Society, but it doesn't mean it's not real to the person involved.
Mick F. Cornwall
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

This is known as naive realism.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Phileas wrote:

+1
Mick F. Cornwall
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

Mick F wrote:
Phileas wrote:

+1

Not by me it isn't. There is always going to be a difference between reality and what reality is perceived to be. The art is in discovering what is real and what isn't. A Zen Buddhist would understand this completely.
[George Orwell]
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Lost me there.

Maybe "normality" is a better word for explaining it?
Something normal is real?
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

There was an article on the news a few months back about something(a ladies dress I think(?))they asked various people what colour it was,whilst there were basically two differing opinions, other folks thought it was other colours IIRC.
What that says IMO is that there are varieties of realities of colour at least.
It's the similar with people's view of an event,they view things from differing perspectives.

That doesn't disprove what Shootist says about someone being pie eyed and driving,it's recognised by scientific study,that someone driving over a certain alcohol to blood ratio level will have impaired senses below the acceptable standard for driving,or their level of reality for driving isn't up to scratch.

It's hard to know what 'exact' reality is,as the individual has only his/herself to judge it.
Should there be others who they can confer with,a consensus can be reached on an approximation of reality,but how do we know each individual's perspective isn't influenced by other factors?
Is one's own reality all that can be relied on?

This has everything to do with alcohol intake or not to a differing degree,and more importantly for different people as the effect of alcohol is different on each individual.

My 2d's worth

EDITED for clarity.
Last edited by reohn2 on 18 Jan 2016, 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden