Average speed by age/weight

reohn2

Re: Average speed by age/weight

Post by reohn2 »

Fudger wrote:Once again, I know there are lots of variables, which is why I based my average loosely on my travels over a full year in all conditions on all terrains. I'm not looking for a scientifically accurate answer from people, just an indication. As a solo rider I pass some people and get passed by others on the road but was interested in knowing where I sit in my progress to getting a bit fitter and where I should realistically aim for in a scale based on simple info from everyday riders rather than all out racers.

Some interesting figures coming up even if they are only an indication.

I don't think it's a case of comparisons with others because of the variables.
The best comparison if your intention is to increase your average is with yourself through regular riding.
Increase in strength will come of that there's no doubt though there may be plateaus in that progression.
A year isn't long to be riding to reach full potential either in the legs or the mind,unless some other aerobic sport or activity has been practised previously IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Fudger

Post by Fudger »

Ive been riding for 20 years. I'm not wanting to increase my speed as it appears by the comments that I'm within the average. I'm attempting to ride further gradually so I can ride from Berkshire to Cornwall in May.
PH

Post by PH »

Fudger wrote:Once again, I know there are lots of variables, which is why I based my average loosely on my travels over a full year in all conditions on all terrains. I'm not looking for a scientifically accurate answer from people, just an indication. As a solo rider I pass some people and get passed by others on the road but was interested in knowing where I sit in my progress to getting a bit fitter and where I should realistically aim for in a scale based on simple info from everyday riders rather than all out racers.

Some interesting figures coming up even if they are only an indication.

I don't think speed and distance are that closely related, the common training for going faster involves cutting the distance down, building up the speed then increasing the distance. The training for doing longer distances at the speed you are already riding, is basically to keep doing more of the same, make sure you're comfortable and understand the nutrition you need. I highly recommend the Long Distance Cyclists Handbook
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Long-Distan ... 0713668326

12 mph is plenty fast enough for your ride, good luck.
Last edited by PH on 3 Mar 2016, 7:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Fudger wrote:Ive been riding for 20 years. I'm not wanting to increase my speed as it appears by the comments that I'm within the average. I'm attempting to ride further gradually so I can ride from Berkshire to Cornwall in May.

Forgive me,I had it in my head you hadn't been cycling very long,my mistake.

If you're interested in increasing your distance that's what you need to do,increasing it gradually until you're comfortable with each increment.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Batears

Post by Batears »

I am 38 and 117kgs (6' 2" ex front row rugby player) and I average 19.2mph on my commute but 16mph on weekend runs of 40-75 miles (depending on weather) I started cycling to lose weight to avoid knee surgery but have caught a major bug for it. I rode from London to Birmingham last year in 7 hours 43 mins and loved every minute of it
Fudger

Average speed by age/weight

Post by Fudger »

Batears wrote:I am 38 and 117kgs (6' 2" ex front row rugby player) and I average 19.2mph on my commute but 16mph on weekend runs of 40-75 miles (depending on weather) I started cycling to lose weight to avoid knee surgery but have caught a major bug for it. I rode from London to Birmingham last year in 7 hours 43 mins and loved every minute of it

What route did you take to Birmingham? I've been looking at doing off road/Grand Union Canal most of the way to Nottingham. But considering on road if I have to, as the towpath gets very rural in places.
Batears

Post by Batears »

This was the route we took from the Hilton on the Edgeware road to the Hilton at Birmingham NEC

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457041501.153131.jpg

I can send you a gpx of the route if you would like?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Fudger wrote:Ive been riding for 20 years. I'm not wanting to increase my speed as it appears by the comments that I'm within the average. I'm attempting to ride further gradually so I can ride from Berkshire to Cornwall in May.

Ahhh... that's different ;)

The best thing to do is just ride gradually increasing miles. There have been a couple of threads before about this. Here's one...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52773
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

On last year's PBP I averaged 20 kph (=12.5 mph). That for 72 kg at age 68. Hoping to try it again for 68 kg at age 72.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Cliffyboy1962:

I have been a heavy smoker all my life but have recently quit in the last 6 weeks

18 months ago I weighed in at 127.5kg and lost 44kg in 9 months.

That is some good effort there cliffyboy1962..... 44kg in 9 months!!!!!

Good luck with the no smoking, I've just passed 4 years quit after 30 years on the weed & no, I can't really feel any benefits but think I'd feel a damn lot different now if I'd still been puffing.

Anyhow, to stay on thread, touching 50 & I would say about 13.5mph average fast pootling to the shops on the flat, probably more like 12mph over a 40 mile undulating ride (on a 16kg hybrid),

all the best, Simon
ossie

Post by ossie »

differing speeds dependant on bike...

700c 28mm tyres 11kg tricross fully loaded (20kg) over the Pyrenees back to the UK - 700 miles - average 12.5mph

26" steel MTB 14kg conversion on 1.75" tyres, fully loaded over 1500 flat miles around Europe - 9.5mph

Road bike over hilly course over 5 years or so - average 15mph

Rider = 50 and 14 stone

Clearly its all about the machine (in my case).
Fudger

Post by Fudger »

ossie wrote:differing speeds dependant on bike...

700c 28mm tyres 11kg tricross fully loaded (20kg) over the Pyrenees back to the UK - 700 miles - average 12.5mph

26" steel MTB 14kg conversion on 1.75" tyres, fully loaded over 1500 flat miles around Europe - 9.5mph

Road bike over hilly course over 5 years or so - average 15mph

Rider = 50 and 14 stone

Clearly its all about the machine (in my case).
proper stats for touring. Thank you.
irc

Post by irc »

To some extent cycling touring distances is all in the mind. Once you can do a couple of hours cycling more or less non stop then extending that to 5 or 6 hours over a full day isn't too hard. 6x12 is 72 miles.

Or another way to look at it. If you commute 10 miles each way in under 2 hours. Without having to fit in 8 hours work in the middle you can easily manage another 4 hours cycling with plenty stops for food/water/rest/sight seeing. Again up around 60-70 miles.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

irc wrote:To some extent cycling touring distances is all in the mind

I think thats spot on. I think to avoid thinking of say "oh I've got to travel 150mls today" which could negate confidence. It's better to set off and target the next 20mls or so to specific towns or villages. Lot's or smaller steps that you know are manageable and treat as break points to sort out any niggles or nourishment etc

Audax67 wrote:On last year's PBP I averaged 20 kph (=12.5 mph). That for 72 kg at age 68. Hoping to try it again for 68 kg at age 72.

This is seriously impressive, it gives me optomism that you can still achieve big goals as you get older rather than give up.
chabal

Post by chabal »

Anything up to 20 miles and I do it at about 15.5mph.

Anything over that and my average speed decreases. I did a 70 miler recently and I averaged 11.5mph - at one point I thought I was going backwards.

I'm 52 and I weight 14 stone. I don't do kilograms or litres.