Cramp

mjr

Re: Cramp

Postby mjr » 24 May 2016, 4:48pm

MikeF wrote:I was on a track rather than a road, but it occurred to me that "fully blown" cramp could be a problem on a busy road.

Not really. Just roll to the verge/kerb, get off as best you can and scream for a while. :-(

I suffered from cramp which started while cycling earlier today and it sort-of echoed for flipping hours and I'm 80% sure it was medication-induced. :mad:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

DaveP

Postby DaveP » 24 May 2016, 9:06pm

Colossus wrote:Thanks for that. Certainly my last ride I'm sure suffered from getting straight in car and being motionless for quite a while. I only did minimal stretching after ride. Seeing off to ride from Gateshead to Nottingham tomorrow over 3 days. All on sustrans ropes. About 80 miles a day. Will try milk idea and apples if I can get them.

Just so long as you realise that these are secondary factors. :)
Tapering off your exercise rather than stopping abruptly, and keeping your muscles warm, as Vorpal suggests are primary care.
Enjoy your ride :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully...

Colossus

Postby Colossus » 27 May 2016, 11:21pm

Just finished ride and no crank so far! Hope I've not spoken too soon!

ROBRIENMIKE

Postby ROBRIENMIKE » 21 Aug 2016, 10:06am

Just found this posting. I have suffered from cramps in the calf muscles and sometimes in the toes for a few years now mainly after sitting around indoors.......yes, very painful.
My Doc put it down to some of my medications inc Statins and put me onto Quinine tablets which seem to work....but who knows?? Could have
just disappeared.
Taking Quinine can be very pleasurable........a nice big G &T.
MikeT.

DaveP

Postby DaveP » 21 Aug 2016, 10:26pm

ROBRIENMIKE wrote:Taking Quinine can be very pleasurable........a nice big G &T.
MikeT.

That's what the drink was invented to do!
These days, the drug is prescription only - but you can consume it without limit as long as you are buying it as tonic water.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully...

Slick

Postby Slick » 21 Aug 2016, 10:59pm

I have heard of people taking a reaction to quinine, the worst being a badly swollen tongue closing the airway.