DUPUYTRENS FINGER OPERATION

pga

DUPUYTRENS FINGER OPERATION

Post by pga »

Had a Dupuytrens finger operation two weeks ago. Stitches removed yesterday but surgeon advised that I would not be able to ride a bike for another 4 weeks.
Any feedback appreciated.
531colin

Re: DUPUYTRENS FINGER OPERATION

Post by 531colin »

I reckon that sort of "advice" is based on the sort of "logic" that goes "I don't want to go cycling, so anybody who does is obviously mad, wrong, or both."
I generally counter with something like "Cycling is necessary for my psychological well-being", which gets their attention even if only briefly.
My contractures only involve the little fingers, and they don't trouble me at all, so I haven't done anything, I guess if it involves fingers you use for brakes and gears you will have to be a bit circumspect?
.....when can you get back to driving? :wink:
..I'm sure "driving" is seen as a normal activity to be encouraged, while cycling is some form of perversion to be discouraged if at all possible, with quasi-medical dogma and anything else they can think of.... :lol:
RodWatts

Post by RodWatts »

I had the operation on my right little finger and was told by the surgeon exactly the same. "Don't ride for four weeks"
It was difficult for the first couple of weeks but it didn't stop me riding after that! Carefully tho!
My finger is ok now except for some scar tissue. You must keep massaging it!!
I've now got it on my left middle finger and feeling rather reluctant to go thru with the operation as so long winded process but know I must.

The good news is my surgeon told me it's called the 'Viking disease' as its very common in the Viking genes!
Brought down to earth with a bump by a doctor friend who said it's also related to drinking too much....
Personally I prefer the first story. From now on I'm a Viking!!
Rod
I'm not lost, I'm just exploring!
pga

Post by pga »

Many thanks for your replies. I guess the cycling situation is made worse by present day brake/gear levers, which I found hard to operate before the op. The old down tube levers or fixed would seem to be a better option.

I like to think my problem was caused by Viking heritage rather than too many visits to Wetherspoons.
nosmarbaj

Post by nosmarbaj »

I have quite severe contracture on RH, and slight on LH, little fingers. The main problem I find is it's difficult to put on a full-finger glove on the RH, and generally the finger gets in the way and is no use for anything. Medics told me the op fixes it for a few years then it tends to recur. My GP also said it's sometimes booze-related, and that's likely why Margaret Thatcher had it. Google however suggests the alcohol relationship is dubious.

Anyway, I'm considering the op - has anyone got experience of long-term effectiveness?
pga

Post by pga »

Back on the bike last Wednesday and three times more since. Able to use hand to change gear but grip not so strong for braking. Palm and finger have healed well and looks like the op has worked.