meic

Re: Weight vs. waist measurement

Post by meic »

The (trouser) belt never lies. :cry:
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

meic wrote:Many high mileage cyclists have to check that trousers can fit around their thighs rather than their waists!

I have trouble fitting trousers and tall boots around my calves. This was exacerbated by the trend for 'skinny leg' jeans for women for a few years. Now, although there are still too many of those around, at least other styles are commonly available.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

meic wrote:The (trouser) belt never lies. :cry:

I find that fat can accumulate above and below the belt, leaving a groove around my midriff.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Briggo

Post by Briggo »

Ladies. Dont worry and enjoy your power. For cyclists its just normal that we can gain muscle in the lower half and reduce fat on the waist. Embrace the T-Rex physique!
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

I always find it quite interesting "muscle is more dense than fat" - muscle is around 18% denser - 1.06g/ml opposed to 0.9g/ml - so 6lbs of muscle would be about 2.6 litres - 6lbs of fat around 3litres - a net difference of 400ml - about the same as a good size mug of coffee - would that really be noticeable
Tinnishill

Post by Tinnishill »

An alternative to scales (the nurse told me), your waist measurement should be about half your hight. You don't need to know the actual numbers, just use a length of string.
Alan O

Post by Alan O »

Tinnishill wrote:An alternative to scales (the nurse told me), your waist measurement should be about half your hight.

Hmm, I would appear to be too short then. :?
JeremyB

Post by JeremyB »

Tinnishill wrote:An alternative to scales (the nurse told me), your waist measurement should be about half your hight. You don't need to know the actual numbers, just use a length of string.

According to that measure, I should be 8'4...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm three inches too short.
Mick F. Cornwall
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Tinnishill wrote:An alternative to scales (the nurse told me), your waist measurement should be about half your hight. You don't need to know the actual numbers, just use a length of string.

34" waist, 5' 10". Works for me.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Every ounce I put on goes straight on my belly. My kids suffer from the same phenomenon. With others the extra weight is distributed more evenly?
Still, I have lost exactly a stone since January 10th, only 6lbs to go to what I consider to be my ideal weight. I am one belt notch away from where I think I should be. BMI at that weight is about 26 and its said that those who slightly higher than BMI 25 are better survivors. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3803151/

I'll take that!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
horizon

Post by horizon »

I'm wondering if the mildly obese have a kindly spouse whose administering of second portions they feel reluctant to refuse. The conclusion that they have happy relationship at home concurs with the generally received wisdom that this does increase life expectancy (AFAIK).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

horizon wrote:I'm wondering if the mildly obese have a kindly spouse whose administering of second portions they feel reluctant to refuse. The conclusion that they have happy relationship at home concurs with the generally received wisdom that this does increase life expectancy (AFAIK).

Erm… .Obese starts at a BMI of 30. Over 25 BMI is simply overweight not obese.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Annoying Twit wrote:This has been happening over time. I haven't started exercise recently, I've been doing it for ages. I did wonder if my clothes felt looser even though I was officially 'overweight' by a little bit. It was only when I went to buy some new trousers that I fit into a 32" instead of a 34", and the 32" trou aren't tight.

If I have changed my body composition, I need a new target weight. Maybe.

The trouser fitting may have changed? Have you measured your waist?
david7591

Post by david7591 »

My waist should be at least six inches larger. Where's the cream cakes?