Weight vs. waist measurement

foxyrider

Re: Weight vs. waist measurement

Post by foxyrider »

Was told by nurse practitioner on Friday that BMI is great and quite accurate - for women. For men the definitions should be moved to more accurately reflect our physiology.

For various reasons i've put on weight in recent weeks leaving me at 90kg/14st which for my 178cm/5'10" gives me a BMI of 29.5. I still get into my 32 waist trousers but i've acquired some stomach flab. As far as the NHS are concerned i'm essentially in good health and not overweight.

Bad news for me is several weeks of enforced inactivity will likely push me even higher without eating as much as usual. :?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
JeremyB

Post by JeremyB »

djnotts wrote:GPs? Know a little about a lot! Love the ones who have told me "well, if you've not had a drink for 13 years you're no longer an alcoholic and one or two won't hurt"!! No faith here. I can read research just as well as they can - and I have only MY health about which to read!

I love the ones who google your symptoms as you explain them, could have saved myself a journey.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

JeremyB wrote:
djnotts wrote:GPs? Know a little about a lot! Love the ones who have told me "well, if you've not had a drink for 13 years you're no longer an alcoholic and one or two won't hurt"!! No faith here. I can read research just as well as they can - and I have only MY health about which to read!

I love the ones who google your symptoms as you explain them, could have saved myself a journey.

Yes but they are the ones with legal access to the drugs.
JeremyB

Post by JeremyB »

bigjim wrote:
JeremyB wrote:

Yes but they are the ones with legal access to the drugs.

eBay is probably cheaper.
meic

Post by meic »

foxyrider wrote:Was told by nurse practitioner on Friday that BMI is great and quite accurate - for women. For men the definitions should be moved to more accurately reflect our physiology.

For various reasons i've put on weight in recent weeks leaving me at 90kg/14st which for my 178cm/5'10" gives me a BMI of 29.5. I still get into my 32 waist trousers but i've acquired some stomach flab. As far as the NHS are concerned i'm essentially in good health and not overweight.

Bad news for me is several weeks of enforced inactivity will likely push me even higher without eating as much as usual. :?

Shouldnt that be obese, overweight starts at 25 on the BMI scale.
Yma o Hyd
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

meic wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Was told by nurse practitioner on Friday that BMI is great and quite accurate - for women. For men the definitions should be moved to more accurately reflect our physiology.

Shouldnt that be obese, overweight starts at 25 on the BMI scale.

No, obese officially starts at 30 - as they are ignoring the 25 start point for overweight and not considering overweight to start until 30 - fall into neither category.
Doesn't stop me wanting to be 10kg lighter mind!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!