lands end to john o,groats

batch4

lands end to john o,groats

Post by batch4 »

I need to do this but.. I,m 54, a regular cyclist but not fit enough.. I do 22miles every day commuting to work. up and down hills, wind and rain. sun and snow? the hills hurt even though they are small. I do not seem to be getting stronger which I so need to do for the challenge.. I would like to raise a bit for help the heroes by doing this.. any ideas to improve.
Paulatic

Re: lands end to john o,groats

Post by Paulatic »

I can't believe someone who does 22mls a day (110/week) isn't fit.
Maybe you need to do a coup,e of long day rides to give you confidence?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Eyebrox

Post by Eyebrox »

That's a good start. Keep stretching the distance. Make a plan. Aim to increase the miles in short increments. When you're confidently doing 30 miles you will be coasting at the 22-mile stage. Add some big hills into the mix. Buy a guidebook and acquaint yourself with the route, the challenges and alternative sections you might want to take. Other riders' stories will motivate you. Enjoy. Go for it!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

You can do 22 miles every day without breaking sweat, or you can do 22 miles every day flat out.
To get fit, you have to push yourself a bit.
A couple of times a week ride home fast......when you get home stretch and shower.
Do a 30 mile ride one weekend, next weekend a "fast" 30 mile.....then 40, then 50.
Easy!
irc

Post by irc »

It depends how long you are going to take. Three weeks at 50 miles a day -you will be fine. Two weeks at 70 miles per day you will need to build a regular long ride every week or so.

Your daily 22 miles is being done in what? Under 2 hours? So imagine rather than working for 8 hours you ride another 3 hours or so. Broken up with coffee and cakes and a lunch stop.
batch4

Post by batch4 »

thanks to irc.. what a good way to look at the challenge.. take out the work I do during the day. 9hrs in joiners shop does need exercise also. I must admit though the most I have done in one day is 115miles and I could hardly move for 2 days after. and only done that once.. then back to 22 miles commute.. I guess, build up the miles a bit then miss the wood work out middle of day.. this sounds like it could work..
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If hills hurt, you probably need to ride more hills. Take a detour a couple of time a week for a bigger hill?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Get out at a Saturday, and go maybe 30miles away. Take a break, and cycle back home. Take your time.
Do the same on Sunday.

If you can get up on Monday morning and still cycle the 22miles to work, you'll have nothing to worry about.

Next, do the same the next weekend, and the weekend after that, and instead of doing 30miles away from home, go a different way and try 40miles. That's 80miles in one day, and 80miles the next.

80miles a day will get you LE to JOG in 12 days. That's about what most folk do.
Mick F. Cornwall