2.5 million people with cancer in UK

Lodge

Re: 2.5 million people with cancer in UK

Post by Lodge »

personally I'm not so afraid of cancer.

My mother died from pancreatic cancer - 4 months from diagnosis to death. Aged 63 (only 4 years older than I am now).

On the other hand my wife's father had a stroke. One day he was an active bird-watcher walking the countrside on a daily basis. The next, paralysed. He lived another 7 years before a final stroke ended his misery. My wife's mother went similarly (though shorter than 7 years).

I know which I would prefer. When the end comes, please let it be short(er). The idea of not getting out into the countryside (in my case on the bikes) appals.
horizon

Post by horizon »

On a happier note, the Guardian reckons cycling helps:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ing-cancer
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
robgul

Post by robgul »

horizon wrote:On a happier note, the Guardian reckons cycling helps:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ing-cancer

... having been there with cancer and major surgery, riding a bike in the few weeks (post chemo) before the big op got me pretty fit and made recovery much faster - I was back on the bike, taking it easy, after about 10 weeks and kept at it with the cycling. The consultant reckons that the riding fitness and positive attitude have made a real difference (I was 67 when I had the op)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

My best mate was Tony. We were apprentices together, I was his best man and he was mine. We were in the pub one night and he said that he had 'gut whack'....He was drinking that Belgian muck 'Kasteel' so I told him that he got all that he deserved.... :wink:

Three weeks later....'Brown bread'....52 years old... :cry:

Not one single day goes by without me thinking about Tony. This is part due to the fact that he passed away whilst still oweing me money...... :evil:

If he read this post he would laugh like a drain........
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I was diagnosed with possibly fatal cancer when I was 26. I was told if the new experimental treatment did not work I would survive 12 months. This was in the 70s. I commuted 15 miles each way to work on shifts whilst undergoing severe chemotherapy as an outpatient. To their horror, as they tried to insist I should be an inpatient. But I needed to work. Young family, mortgage etc. No thought of sick pay or benefits at the time. Collapsed on the way home one morning and woke up in a ditch with the bike on top of me and covered in snow. I had been out of it for about 20mins.
But, he ho, I'm still here and I have the NHS to thank, even though the doctors did not have an answer to my survival. They did comment, that I was," a very angry young man and maybe that attitude had something to do with it". :)
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

I do get tired of the drama around cancer. Its just another way to die. I do appreciate that the process of dying from cancer isn't likely to be nice and I wouldn't for one minute denigrate the suffering of anyone unfortunate enough to suffer. However I always think that our thoughts and sympathies might be better targeted at those who just went down to the local shop for some groceries and never came back. The shock to families and friends in these cases is much more traumatic and profound.

Just my thoughts.

Your may differ.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

freeflow wrote:I do get tired of the drama around cancer. Its just another way to die. I do appreciate that the process of dying from cancer isn't likely to be nice and I wouldn't for one minute denigrate the suffering of anyone unfortunate enough to suffer. However I always think that our thoughts and sympathies might be better targeted at those who just went down to the local shop for some groceries and never came back. The shock to families and friends in these cases is much more traumatic and profound.

Just my thoughts.

Your may differ.

Depends howold you are when you get it I would have thought. It's not the preserve of the elderly.
horizon

Post by horizon »

freeflow wrote:I do get tired of the drama around cancer.

It used to get hushed up so maybe this is better.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher