A wee problem

MikeF

Re: A wee problem

Post by MikeF »

pjclinch wrote:I find that a certain level of exercise does this to me, be it cycling, swimming or hillwalking, and this has been the case for years and seems irrespective of how much or what I've been drinking. If I'm doing some proper work but at the sort of level I can keep up for hours I find I need to pee a lot. I've been assuming it's just a case of that level of exercise getting fuelled by metabolising something that breaks down partly to water. If I slow up it doesn't happen, if I speed up I sweat enough that getting rid of excess water isn't much of an issue (and I start getting thirsty quite quickly).

(edit - minor addition) When I'm in "generating lots of pee" mode it's very pale urine, suggesting I'm just getting rid of excess water.

But it wouldn't hurt to check with the doctor if it worries you.

Pete.
I find that exercise will often make me pee more. Of course burning sugars will produce water, but I haven't/ am not clever enough worked out how much. I'm sure all sorts of other factors are involved as well, and the older you get the worse the body becomes at keeping everything working "tickety boo".
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
lbomaak2

Post by lbomaak2 »

OK, so I can't compare what happens when cycling as against running: pressure should have a different effect from "jiggling".

It's not really "something different than [I] have experienced before", vorpal: it's something that I have been gradually becoming more aware of over a period of 5 - 10 years. On the day that I made my original post, I had needed to ride for a fair distance before finding somewhere suitable to relieve myself.
lbomaak2

Post by lbomaak2 »

It's a while since I posted this, but I recently spoke to a urologist (admittedly in an informal setting rather than a formal consultation): after I described my symptoms, he immediately told me that I had an overactive bladder. It's a very common condition, and annoying rather than debilitating (at least for me).
fullupandslowingdown

Post by fullupandslowingdown »

Some doctors are great at using generalised phrases to cover things that they are not quite 100% certain about. I probably have the same condition if it is one. From my perspective after a few decades I concluded that it was a normal physiological response to me. Practical every day except a total sleep in rest day, I'd get up, eat, drink etc etc, and go to the toilet at least twice, but still want to go within 30 to 60 minutes of riding out or whatever. For me it is simply that my body takes 2 hours or so to fully wake up all the systems and peeing is a part of this.

When you're asleep, some body functions are slowed right down, I guess waste filtering is one by the simple measure of ones blood flow. Like many of us, I used to have a HR below 45 when resting and presumably this fell even lower in deep sleep. Logically, as the kidneys work on blood flowing through them, if blood flow is slow then filleting must be slowed too. When you become physically active, blood flow increases therefore kidney function speeds up and produces a fuller bag.

It's not rocket science, but logically thinking. IMHO the way doctors are trained at med school, they aren't permitted to think things through but only run symptoms against checklists. It's like the difference between a mechanical fitter, and a mechanical engineer, one fits the parts the other designed. I'm a regular blood donor ( people, men in particular, this year Blood have a target of recruiting 68,000 new male blood donors, forget the gym, new haircut, or a iPhone, register to donate today ) and years ago the accepted method was you laid flat and still on a bed to bleed. You might squeeze your fist a few times but weren't supposed to move around. Now, you are on a fancy barber's chair like bed which tips you from 90 degrees to about 30, i.e not quite flat. You're also told to do static exercises such as tensing your buttocks every 15 seconds.

When I used to live out in the sticks, I would cycle into town to donate. I soon noticed the difference in how long it took me to fill a bag depending on if I got bled soon after arriving, or if I'd had a 30 plus minute wait to bleed. I reasoned this out, simple enough, it was my fit heart slowing down on resting making my donation slow down. I started secretly tensing my legs and buttocks to try and keep my blood flowing faster. I naturally chose my legs because they took the greatest bloodflow normally, and so made the biggest difference. Then years later this becomes official advise. IMHO an example of the medical establishment developing ideas at (pre global warming) glacial speed. Lots of things aren't rocket science, they only need someone to actually apply their mind to thinking about it and being brave enough to question accepted dogma.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Ever wondered why wee is yellow?
A full explanation starts with the fact that we need a lot of haemoglobin in our blood to transport oxygen; haemoglobin is "packaged" in (red) blood cells, a similar amount of haemoglobin in solution is impractical. Red blood cells have no nucleus (they are full of haemoglobin) so cannot self-repair. Old red blood cells are taken out of the circulation and the iron in the haemoglobin is recycled; the yellow stuff is a waste product. If you want the full nine yards, that's what Google is for....I learnt this stuff long before the internet existed, and I had to work out the inter-relationships for myself.
Most people will have observed that their wee is pale yellow to colourless when they are properly hydrated, and darker in colour (and maybe stronger in odour) when they are dehydrated. Possible "explanations" for this include;
1.You need to get rid of more of the yellow stuff when you are dehydrated
2. You produce less volume of urine when you are dehydrated
Of these, the second is the correct answer.
Kidneys are miracles of evolution (or Creation, I'm not getting into that either) .
Their function is to control the level of various chemicals in the blood.
The volume of urine you produce has nothing to do with heart rate, and everything to do with your state of hydration.
If your gut is full of water, the water is absorbed into the blood, and the kidneys take it out in order to maintain the composition of the blood.
If you are dehydrated, your kidneys excrete less water, but that smaller volume of urine must contain the waste products, so the urine is more concentrated.
Frequency of urination is governed by many factors in addition to the actual rate of urine production.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Get one of the micturate belts that fighter pilots use.