Sudden Fatigue?

531colin

Re: Sudden Fatigue?

Post by 531colin »

Similar thread here, now i think about it....http://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=106732
Slick

Post by Slick »

Okay, quite a bit to think about. I have been off the bike since Monday, but I'll try again tomorrow after breakfast. I'll try and take a bit more time to just enjoy the ride, I am guilty of putting my head down sometimes and missing the bigger picture.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Not started or changed medication recently?
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Slick

Post by Slick »

I'm not on any medication. I must admit to allowing myself to become a tad alarmed at 1 or 2 of the comments, so I sought a bit of professional advice. It turns out that whatever I could do wrong, I was doing, from basic bike maintenance and fit, to my poor pedal stroke and everything in between, including nutrition. It also turns out that I finally have the lung capacity to exercise the rest of my body to a half decent level. I'm back on the bike and enjoying the workout before work. Hopefully I'll be ready for my first 50 mile event soon. I know that that's nothing to most of you guys, but for me a modest yet achievable goal for a fat ex smoker this year.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Better to be safe than sorry...........so what did the docs say :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Slick

Post by Slick »

The doc said, get out on the bike and enjoy it. The majority of the advice came from a guy who does these bike fittings and develops personal training programmes. I stopped short of buying a programme to follow, but I did find the rest of his advice very useful.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

My reaction on reading your first post was "low blood sugar". Sounds as if I was right, but the pro advice won't hurt. It's always a good idea to have a bar or two in your pocket: "eat before you're hungry, drink before you're dry" is the best way I've seen it expressed. And for long-distance riders, "sleep before you fall off" isn't bad either.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Audax67 wrote:My reaction on reading your first post was "low blood sugar". Sounds as if I was right, but the pro advice won't hurt. It's always a good idea to have a bar or two in your pocket: "eat before you're hungry, drink before you're dry" is the best way I've seen it expressed. And for long-distance riders, "sleep before you fall off" isn't bad either.

All good :wink:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

In my cycling career I've managed to get on the wrong side of all three, except that I woke up just in time to get a foot down.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Audax67 wrote:My reaction on reading your first post was "low blood sugar". Sounds as if I was right, but the pro advice won't hurt. It's always a good idea to have a bar or two in your pocket: "eat before you're hungry, drink before you're dry" is the best way I've seen it expressed. And for long-distance riders, "sleep before you fall off" isn't bad either.

I thought low blood sugar, too, but that can be a symptom of diabetes, and other pancreatic or pituitary problems. So when someone experiences low blood sugar without making any other changes, IMO, it's generally a good idea to get it checked out.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Audax67 wrote:In my cycling career I've managed to get on the wrong side of all three, except that I woke up just in time to get a foot down.

Your lucky, my feet kept turning, I just wasn't on apart of the road that I recognised :?
Gets worse when you walk and cant keep on the pavement.

I recognise the early signs now, hopefully power naps will work in future.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Vorpal wrote:

I thought low blood sugar, too, but that can be a symptom of diabetes, and other pancreatic or pituitary problems. So when someone experiences low blood sugar without making any other changes, IMO, it's generally a good idea to get it checked out.

Yes, The OP's opener was after 12 months it started two weeks ago.......................
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

I got really tired when I started commuting 13 miles each day. I really enjoyed the rides, and rode hard enough to keep up with the flow of the traffic. But I was dozing off at 11am. Turns out I was using enough energy to need four meals a day rather than three. Once I twigged that, energy levels in the day were back to normal. I also got some really good advice on spending less energy while cycling in rush hour traffic: leave bigger gaps. The energy is spent in accelerating. Allowing bigger gaps to open up ahead of me meant I wasn't accelerating quite as hard.

In fact I didn't eat four meals a day for very long. My system settled down after month one, and instead I ate slightly more at meal times. Busy job meant I didn't snack. Three big meals a day was enough. But leaving bigger gaps meant I wasn't digging as deep, so didn't have as much to replace.
Slick

Post by Slick »

Ok, I understand that a bit more now. I did my usual commute this morning after toast and jam at 5am, and a bounty bar at 3.30, about an hour before I left for home. I powered home against a stiff breeze and felt really good.

My problem now is, how am I supposed to loose weight now I'm eating more?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Slick wrote:.................., how am I supposed to loose weight now I'm eating more?

slowly