Hypertension

NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Hypertension

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You need to take it easy and follow your GP's advise.
Go back to them and dont play Russian roulette :!:
Once your BP's under control you can get back to cycling.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Due to a bad medical experience, my BP can go up dramatically when I'm in a surgery or hospital. However, an eye has to be kept on my BP because of medication I take.

I bought my own BP monitor (a decent one) and take mine at home. The one I have averages the last 30 readings a well as recording the current one, which I find useful. Once a year I take it in to the surgery and my GP checks it against hers to make sure it hasn't drifted out of calibration. It has solved the 'white coat syndrome' problem for me and my GP. She trusts me to keep an eye on it y taking it from time to time, and I trust her in return.

I've now been doing this for about five years, and it has actually helped the 'white coat effect' which is now much less when it's taken at the surgery too. I suspect it is the trust it has helped build between me and my GP that has really helped that part of it, and it has also helped me feel more comfortable when I have to go and see her in general.
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

I'm always late with replies, sorry.
I now take Amlodipine and Ramipril and my BP at the GP's surgery was 138/80 this morning which is ok but probably not as good as it could be.
I don't seem to cycle much if at all. A bout of depression has made it feel hard to get on a bike and a move to Bromsgrove in Worcestershire hasn't helped. Whilst the local countryside is amazing, many of the local roads aren't great for functional cycling.
I have just bought a smart-ish turbo trainer but am finding that very difficult. It's an Elite Real Muin Smart Turbo B+ and resistance feels high. So far, I have only managed 10 minutes at a time.
I feel very unfit and stuff. It seems such a shame that I have lost my cycling mojo, but am hoping
horizon

Post by horizon »

Just a quick reply to wish you well and to say you're not alone! Good luck with getting back on the bike. Keep us informed.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I just came off Amlodipine after just three weeks, doctor said swollen ankles won't go away.
Now on Lercanidipine, which is less likely to affect my ankles, early days, ankles swollen this morn, we will see.
Your BP sounds better, it would probably be even less at home not at the the G.P.'s.
Home monitor would be £ 20 for a good one.
Home monitor is an advantage it saves all that frustration when its high just because you go to doc's.
They seem happier if you self monitor.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bromsgrove or Stoke Prior, good for cycling? Edward Elgar thought so, in 1904 he was knighted, he cycled from Malvern to SP to tell his dad :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Claireysmurf wrote:I'm always late with replies, sorry.
I now take Amlodipine and Ramipril and my BP at the GP's surgery was 138/80 this morning which is ok but probably not as good as it could be.
I don't seem to cycle much if at all. A bout of depression has made it feel hard to get on a bike and a move to Bromsgrove in Worcestershire hasn't helped. Whilst the local countryside is amazing, many of the local roads aren't great for functional cycling.
I have just bought a smart-ish turbo trainer but am finding that very difficult. It's an Elite Real Muin Smart Turbo B+ and resistance feels high. So far, I have only managed 10 minutes at a time.
I feel very unfit and stuff. It seems such a shame that I have lost my cycling mojo, but am hoping

Good to see you back. Sorry to hear that you haven't been well. Mr. V has depression, and whislt I understand that the lack of motivation makes it really difficult to do much of anything, he always seems markedly better after cycling.

If you haven't, don't be afraid to seek professional help with the depression.

Otherwise, maybe arrange to meet up with a friend, take your bike on a car or train to a place you feel more comfortable cycling.

As for your trainer, have you calibrated it? Also I think you can change 'difficulty' in the software? Check the manual, or ask their customer service.

If you don't feel up to cycling, maybe a walk instead?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Claireysmurf wrote:I'm always late with replies, sorry.

You don't say what dose of Amlodipine. My blood pressure is somewhat erratic, but recently, once in early August and once in late September, I have tried (on the medic's prescription) to up my dose from 5mg/day to 10 mg/day. Both times I had a severe reaction and stopped on the 3rd day. I felt totally debilitated and on one day, after cycling only 8 miles, my leg muscles ached like they've never ached before. I managed to do another 18 miles, but it was a mental and physical struggle. I stopped taking Amlodipine for a day or so and I felt '5 years younger' and not lethargic at all. I am now trying 5mg Amlodipine and 2.5mg Indapamide (a diuretic although I haven't noticed yet!).

Searching the web, I find that I'm not alone in the severe effect Amlodipine can have, and am now wary of it. So if you are feeling like you describe it might be the effect of the Amlodipine.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

I shattered my wrist in 08 and it took 4 years to get fixed as i had to have the plates removed to due being badly inserted, the constant pain I was in took my BP sky high even with a pulse of 40 and even a triple dose of ramipril did not touch it because it was high due to pain not fitness. I faked my figures to get into surgery.

as soon as the plate was out my BP dropped. now it is higher than it should be due to lack of aerobic activity I reckon although a two week cycle tour knocked it back down to 130/80-90 ish.

ramipril I hated and would refuse to take it ever again as it made me so ill and dizzy. now if I am running a little high I make a mix of cayenne pepper, honey and lemon juice in hot water then drink it chilled a swig here and there after shaking the bottle. it takes a bit of getting used to and you can do it with half a teaspoon of cayenne in orange juice a couple of times a day with a chaser to wash it down. two weeks of cayenne tea puts me right for 4 months or so without the side effects of ramipril and it is good for allsorts of circulation issues like varicose veins and haemorrhoids. you really feel it kick it as soon as you swig it.

its even good for stopping bleeding cuts and grazes.

another thing is white coat syndrome - that can add a few points to your BP,
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Three weeks on Amlodipine, muscles ache.
Early days on Lercanidipine, I am keeping fingers crossed, had flu jab as well which can have side effects too.
I will tell you nearer Xmas.
Not sure about doctors saying he thinks my endurance problem is not medication, it always has been in the past and I have plenty experience in the past on BP meds.
Get out walking! Thought of that before it was mentioned.
Walking if you can find some open space even better, I find therapeutic, also its good for fat burn with lower HR.
Its probably early days on your meds so don't lose heart.

I did give up for ten years when on Beta blockers :( You have to be on stuff to understand.
I am not giving up yet, and you should not either.
I have been thoroughly kicking myself for the last 3-4 years with training, plenty of setbacks, not ready to give up yet.

Keep posting.
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

I'm on 10mg Amlodipine. When i first started taking it last year, i felt awful. Really odd. Struggle to describe how I felt, but included dizziness and nausea. I seem to have a lot of back ache and a touch of sciatica and think it's party weight gain but do wonder if it's exacerbated by the Amlodipine.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Claireysmurf wrote:I'm on 10mg Amlodipine. When i first started taking it last year, i felt awful. Really odd. Struggle to describe how I felt, but included dizziness and nausea. I seem to have a lot of back ache and a touch of sciatica and think it's party weight gain but do wonder if it's exacerbated by the Amlodipine.
The effect on me wasn't quite like that, but very similar, and the first time it happened, like you, I found it difficult to describe. But I've had 2 attempts to take 10mg/day and stopped after 3 days each time. Something was seriously wrong! 5mg/day seems OK with me. I would contact your medic and tell him/her the effect it's having on you. I'm intending to report it on the yellow card alert http://www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.